Would you let a neighbor use your phone to call 911?

This is a discussion on Would you let a neighbor use your phone to call 911? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Apparently, a victim of a home invasion in my neck of the woods, had his landline phone ripped out of the wall... and his pickup ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Would you let a neighbor use your phone to call 911?

Apparently, a victim of a home invasion in my neck of the woods, had his landline phone ripped out of the wall... and his pickup stolen after a home invasion... He went to the neighbors... and asked to use the phone to call 911. They "didn't want to get involved" so he walked several blocks to a Video rental store to report the crime...

Here's the story

This really torques me off...

As I reported here nearly two years ago... one of my co-workers was mugged... Beaten, stabbed twice, and left for dead. Fortunately, some folks in the house in front of which the crime occurred brought my friend in and called 911. I took up a collection at work for the family that yelled at the BGs, and brought my friend in and kept him alive and warm. We raised about $800.00 for them.

This family, that didn't "want to get involved" gets a lump of coal from Santa this year... And a letter to the paper chastising them. Shame on them.
    Eagleks likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    What goes around will come around. Your good neighbors are going to make the difference between survival and catastrophe in a few months. It's time to get to know them and help prepare.
    Zepoll likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

My neighbors are good people and I would surely let them in to call 911.

What horrible neighbors.

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    What goes around will come around. Your good neighbors are going to make the difference between survival and catastrophe in a few months. It's time to get to know them and help prepare.
    Agreed. Pretend it's the 50's and actually get to know your neighbors. Host a block party and have everyone on your block over for BBQ, yes even the one's you don't like.

It's time to get old fashioned again.

I have a long memory, they don't need to come to my door with a problem.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Yes I would let my neighbor call 911...There is a special place in hell for those people...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

This is the letter I wrote to The Gazette: It may or may not be published...

A lump of coal.

A lump of coal to the neighbor who “didn’t want to get involved” when the victim of assault, home invasion, and car theft came to their home seeking to call 911, as recently reported in The Gazette.

Nearly two years ago someone was mugged; stabbed, beaten, and left for dead on the lawn of a Good Samaritan’s home on the S.W. side. He was taken in, kept warm and tended to until police and ambulance arrived. Kudos, and the gratefulness of the members of BCTGM local 100 for their acts, which may have saved the life of our union brother.

Not so to the neighbor of the victim on Oakland Road N.E.

No matter your religious leanings, we are indeed our brother’s keeper. And, whether you believe in karma, judgment, or some other eternal recompense; if nothing else, you’ve probably heard that Santa leaves a lump of coal in the stockings of bad little boys and girls…

Today, I hope the legend of Santa is true in that regard.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    I know a year from today is the end of the Mayan's current cycle.

Something happening in a few months that I am unaware of?

Not only yes, but hell yes. I'd even make the call for them and stay with them until the cops got there.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    I know a year from today is the end of the Mayan's current cycle.

Something happening in a few months that I am unaware of?
    I'm also confused by the statement he made.

In other news, forget a lump of coal...I hope Santa leaves a turd in their stockings.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I don't see the problem. Even if you REALLY don't want to he involved you can later tell the police or whomever "Look, I just let them call 911 from my phone. My involvement ends there."

I don't know any of my neighbors, and don't care to, but I wouod let them call for help from my phone. No reason not to.

tts
    I think this is insane. I'd be glad to let any neighbor into my home to stay safe + call 911.

Maybe this is a reminder that we should all get I really "know" our neighbors. I certainly wouldn't want this happening to me.

VIP Member
    My neighbors may get on my nerves, but they are still 'family' to me (besides nobody gets on my nerves like blood-relatives anyway ;-).

There's even a guy that's a total jerk about 3 houses down. Cops are over there all the time, I'll spare you the details of his life. Anyway, a few years ago while I was at work, my son was on the other side of the pond from our house screaming bloody murder because a water moccasin was chasing after him. The jerk neighbor ran out of his house in his sock feet, through briers to get to my boy, scooped him up and ran him home. The guy is still a jerk, but I'll always have his back.

I don't know everyone in my neighborhood and would not let just anyone into my home but there is no reason I would not pick up my phone and call the cops for them. Now if it was one of my neihgbors I know yes they would be welcomed in and helped but just someone I have seen and dont know they are not coming into my home where my wife and kids are but I will gladly call for help for them. This also depends on the situation. If the person is just scared and wants to call the cops they can wait outside my door while I call. I am in no way saying I would leave someone outside to die on my doorstep. Lots of factors that would play into the situation. But I can guarantee I will be armed and on alert.

You must be careful have read of several home invasions starting with the fake desperate need for help just to gain access to your home.

PB2
    Someone, anyone, comes to my door bleeding and hurt they can come in and I'll help them in any way I can. Just scared and unharmed, if I don't know them they can wait on the porch while I call for help for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links