Need help with High Index Lenses

This is a discussion on Need help with High Index Lenses within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am about to purchase new glasses and need help picking out what lense to buy. One eye place said 1.60 would be fine and ...

Thread: Need help with High Index Lenses

I am about to purchase new glasses and need help picking out what lense to buy. One eye place said 1.60 would be fine and will have less chromatic aberation. The other eye place said the higher index will be clearer and that with my prescription, the 1.60 will be too thick.

My prescription is pretty high. -6.00 and -6.25.

I have the following options (low to high priced). Keep in mind I still need to pay for the frame and $25 material copay.
    1.60 indexed lense $48
    1.60 indexed Aspherical $68
    1.67 indexed lense $93
    1.67 indexed Aspherical lense $107

All lenses will have UV and AR coatings.

Which lense will have the best ABBE value?
    Which lense will have the least amount of Chromatic Aberation?

I read that the higher the index, the more Chromatic Aberation. I have two old pairs of classes. A half rimed pair that have small lenses and a pair of larger plastic full rimmed glasses. The plastic glasses are clear. When I use the smaller half rimmed pair, it takes me awhile to get used to them and when I look up/down/left/right, I get some distortion (I feel dizzy and off centered). I think maybe it is because the lenses are so small.

These are the options as far as frames
    Ray-Ban RX RX5095 Eyeglasses | Rectangular Prescription RayBan Glasses
    HUGO BOSS Black BOSS 0104/U Eyeglasses - HUGO BOSS Black Authorized Retailer - coolframes.com

I believe something in a 1911 45 will work best
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I believe something in a 1911 45 will work best
    Thanks. My one reply and it is about a 1911 :)

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I'd like to help...

Anybody understand what he's talking about?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    I am about to purchase new glasses and need help picking out what lense to buy. One eye place said 1.60 would be fine and will have less chromatic aberation. The other eye place said the higher index will be clearer and that with my prescription, the 1.60 will be too thick.

My prescription is pretty high. -6.00 and -6.25.

I have the following options (low to high priced). Keep in mind I still need to pay for the frame and $25 material copay.
    1.60 indexed lense $48
    1.67 indexed lense $93

All lenses will have UV and AR coatings.

Which lense will have the best ABBE value?
    Which lense will have the least amount of Chromatic Aberation?

I read that the higher the index, the more Chromatic Aberation. I have two old pairs of classes. A half rimed pair that have small lenses and a pair of larger plastic full rimmed glasses. The plastic glasses are clear. When I use the smaller half rimmed pair, it takes me awhile to get used to them and when I look up/down/left/right, I get some distortion (I feel dizzy and off centered). I think maybe it is because the lenses are so small.

These are the options as far as frames
    Ray-Ban RX RX5095 Eyeglasses | Rectangular Prescription RayBan Glasses
    HUGO BOSS Black BOSS 0104/U Eyeglasses - HUGO BOSS Black Authorized Retailer - coolframes.com
    I have an extremely high correction -7.25 + .5 (I think that means -6.75 but don't know any of the technicalities).
    I also have only one eye, and therefore need sturdy lenses that won't shatter in an accident.

I have no idea what you are referring to with respect to this: 1.60 indexed lense $48
    1.67 indexed lense $93

I have a hunch your dispensing optician is throwing bunches of jargon and nonsense at you to sell you something.

Go to a reputable chain eyeglass store and get polycarbonate lenses. Don't fool with high index glass or regular plastic.

Since I don't know what chains operate near you, I'd suggest something as mundane as Sear or Sams or Walmart. You won't get the fanciest lookers but probably won't get cheated too badly either. FWIW, I just got back from a trip to my opthalmologist and found out that one of the chains didn't quite make my glasses right last year, but a set of sports glasses purchased at Sams were correctly made. And they didn't cost as much as a new Glock' or even an LCP-- coatings and all; and in bi-focal.
    Last edited by Hopyard; December 22nd, 2011 at 10:26 PM. Reason: math/typo
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Have you thought about going to contacts? I have the exact same Rx and have used contacts for about 10 years now. On the rare occasions I do wear my glasses I do have a difficult time adjusting to them and would not dare to drive.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    My ophthalmologist is a member of my gun club, and he made my new lens (cataract surgery) 1 diopter nearsighted, so I can see the front sight best. Good luck.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I have an extremely high correction -7.25 + .5 (I think that means -6.75 but don't know any of the technicalities).
    I also have only one eye, and therefore need sturdy lenses that won't shatter in an accident.

I have no idea what you are referring to with respect to this: 1.60 indexed lense $48
    1.67 indexed lense $93

I have a hunch your dispensing optician is throwing bunches of jargon and nonsense at you to sell you something.

Go to a reputable chain eyeglass store and get polycarbonate lenses. Don't fool with high index glass or regular plastic.

Since I don't know what chains operate near you, I'd suggest something as mundane as Sear or Sams or Walmart. You won't get the fanciest lookers but probably won't get cheated too badly either. FWIW, I just got back from a trip to my opthalmologist and found out that one of the chains didn't quite make my glasses right last year, but a set of sports glasses purchased at Sams were correctly made. And they didn't cost as much as a new Glock' or even an LCP-- coatings and all; and in bi-focal.
    Basically the higher the index value, the thinner the lense. I believe the higher index lenses are clearer also but may have more chromatic aberation.
    With my prescription being so high, I would need one of the higher index lenses so my glasses don't look like ice cubes :) The thinner lenses will also make my glasses lighter.
    The last two years I bought my glasses at Costco for about $150. They have good prices. Cheaper than if I use my insurance at my eye doctor. The only problem is the frames are not the best looking.

It is a shame how much glasses cost. I could use that money to put towards another firearm :)
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Have you thought about going to contacts? I have the exact same Rx and have used contacts for about 10 years now. On the rare occasions I do wear my glasses I do have a difficult time adjusting to them and would not dare to drive.
    I do were contacts 95% of the time. I have been wearing contacts since 1990. I can see much better with contacts especially while driving. I do like to give my eyes a rest from contacts 1 day a week and in the evenings. This is why I need glasses.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    Basically the higher the index value, the thinner the lense. I believe the higher index lenses are clearer also but may have more chromatic aberation.
    With my prescription being so high, I would need one of the higher index lenses so my glasses don't look like ice cubes :) The thinner lenses will also make my glasses lighter.
    The last two years I bought my glasses at Costco for about $150. They have good prices. Cheaper than if I use my insurance at my eye doctor. The only problem is the frames are not the best looking.

It is a shame how much glasses cost. I could use that money to put towards another firearm :)
    Yes, of course. Polycarbonate is high index and I don't think my lenses are either excessively thick looking or heavy. If they are made right you won't notice the minor differences from various aberrations. What does seem to me to count is making sure something called the "base curve" remains constant from last years to this years prescription. That seems to make adjusting to a new prescription easier.

I've had no problem getting bi and even tri-focal glasses in polycarbonate, and bi-focal safety sports glasses in polycarbonate. Same with polarized sun glasses.

I don't know how old you are. So here's something I have been told to keep in mind and I had this problem too. Folks with very high correction like ours tend to have a high risk of retina detachments. So, if you are middle aged or more, please be sure to get your retina examined by an opthalmologist (eye physician, M.D.) about once a year. Sometimes they can see the tiny threads of the jelly inside your eye tugging on the retina before the dang thing get pulled loose. The clinical optometrists are not medical doctors or surgeons and can't help you with this issue.

It is no fun when it happens. A detached retina is a surgical emergency.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I'd go for the highest index you can get. I've also got the new "Crizal" treatment (anti-scratch, etc.) on mine and love it. The one guy probably just doesn't sell the higher index and is leading you away. Switching to/from ANY glasses and you will get "aberrations". My new glasses are progressive high index (i.e. lineless bi-tri-focals), my first, and had trouble at first with head movement, dizziness, etc., but you soon adapt. PolyC is the only way to go with your high correction. Glass will be too heavy.

Also, DO NOT listen to the dweeb fitters. MAKE them chamfer off the edges AND polish. He didn't want to do mine because he thought it wouldn't look good from the front. They are fine and look MUCH better from the side. Makes them look less thick and noticeable.

I'm an Optician as well as a Pastor. In your Rx the thinnest lenses would be the aspheric 1.67. One other extremely important consideration is frame size. Basically, the larger the lens diameter, the thicker and heavier the lenses will be. In a small frame the 1.6 index lenses are probably fine. I wouldn't worry much about chromatic aberration. In my experience (40 years) it isn't much of a problem. As was posted above, top quality A/R coatings are fantastic. They combine great visual properties with excellent scratch resistance. The best ones are not cheap. I agree also that Polycarbonate would be a good high index choice. They are about 1.60, but can be ground with very thin center thickness because of their impact resistance. Edge polish makes the lenses look better, but on rare occasions creates a reflective surface that can be bothersome.

In a 49-50mm or so eye size, 1.67 high index lenses with edge polish and a top quality A/R could look very nice indeed. Conversely, you could have all the same products in a 56mm eye size and be disappointed with the edge thickness

I have the thinnest lenses I could get, 1.74, and do not have a problem with chromatic aberration.

Links