Happy Festivus... for the Rest of Us!

This is a discussion on Happy Festivus... for the Rest of Us! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; and yes I have an aluminum pole ( my wife hates it ) set up The slogan of Festivus is "A Festivus for the rest ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By barstoolguru
  • 1 Post By NYCrulesU
  • 2 Post By Okemo
  • 2 Post By fastk9dad

Thread: Happy Festivus... for the Rest of Us!

and yes I have an aluminum pole ( my wife hates it ) set up

The slogan of Festivus is "A Festivus for the rest of us!" The usual holiday tradition of a tree is manifested in an unadorned aluminum pole, which is in direct contrast to normal holiday materialism. Those attending Festivus may also participate in the "Airing of Grievances" which is an opportunity to tell others how they have disappointed you in the past year, followed by a Festivus dinner, and then completed by the "Feats of Strength" where the head of the household must be pinned. All of these traditions are based upon the events in the Seinfeld episode, however, strangely enough, Festivus has roots that pre-date Seinfeld.

Happy Festivus | A Festivus for the Rest of Us! | Festivus Feats of Strength, Festivus Airing of Grievances, Festivus Pole

.................post your grievances..............
    Pkupmn98 likes this.

That was a great episode

Let me grab another beer before I read that again......
    No damn man kills me and lives.
    Nathan Bedford Forrest

Just too funny.....too busy laughing to have a grievance

Ummm...ok.

Well Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! to everyone else that still celebrates the traditional decorated tree, putting gifts under it late Xmas eve and having their little ones leave out cookies for Santa only ro find an empty plate the next morning.

Nothing wrong with a little tradition. Nothing wrong with a holiday that kids look forward to and certainly nothing wrong with seeing the smiles Xmas morning.

Now....with that said..I will add...

I do take offense to those kids that are raised to be selfish, greedy little awipes that want $300 xbox's, 10 $60 games, $200 sneakers etc. And I take even more offense to those parents who raise and allow those little awipes to be little awipes.

My wife and I spent a hard earned $200 on 2 girls. $100 each (for those challenged by problem solving). Some stuff marked from Santa and some stuff marked from us (helps later in life with the transition into "Santa doesn't exist" time). Sales were found and bargains were bought. Useful clothes, skill building games and a few toys that were actually "wanted". That's it. We don't get each other gifts because we have everything we need...a happy, healthy family. We like to see our girls happy and have taught them to be happy with the basics. They are also taught good behavior, thankfullness and are raised with normal, decent Christian values.

Christmas is ruined when greed gets involved. When morons are pushing, shoving and fighting to get the last of an item that mainstream America (through the media) has told you that you just can't live without. That same item that will be tossed aside within 6 months.

We treat Xmas the same as Halloween. Fun for the kids, in moderation. Childhood goes by too fast as it is. We love seeing our girls get excited for an upcoming holiday....helping mommy decorate the tree, paint eggs, get dressed to trick or treating.

Anything in moderation can be ok. It's when people go overboard and get excessive that things turn to crap.
    Pkupmn98 likes this.

Barstoolguru....apparently not everybody "gets" your post. I did, and happy Fesitivus to you as well. And now, for the Feats of Strength.
    Pkupmn98 and kb2wji like this.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Btw, my post was against the OP in any way. It was just my random hokiday rant. ;)

Distinguished Member
    No tinsel for me, I find it distracting!

And don't forget to donate to the Human Fund.
    Okemo and kb2wji like this.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

All good... if one person enjoyed it; it was worth it.... happy holidays to all no matter how you celebrate it

VIP Member
    We celebrate a very traditional Christmas here, however we were just talking about Festivus the other day and laughing about the idea of "celebrating" it.

A few years ago, as Christmas was winding down, I gave everyone a card (joke) that said I had donated to the "Human Fund" on their behalf. We like Seinfeld and typically quote some of the lines in everyday life when applicable!

Nothing wrong with a sense of humor.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I appreciate your post and humor. A year ago I was pricing Toyota 4Runners on the web and needed to ask for an Internet
    Price and deal that way. I got a VERY good deal. For my name I used Art Vandalay. No fooling. The salesman sent me alot of
    e-mails and we both had a great laugh. Happy Festivus

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sc1911cwp View Post
    I appreciate your post and humor. A year ago I was pricing Toyota 4Runners on the web and needed to ask for an Internet
    Price and deal that way. I got a VERY good deal. For my name I used Art Vandalay. No fooling. The salesman sent me alot of
    e-mails and we both had a great laugh. Happy Festivus
    Not to hijack, but is that a greyhound in your avatar?
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Sponsored Links