New shooter, my oldest.

New shooter, my oldest.

This is a discussion on New shooter, my oldest. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Proud papa, thought I would share. We have been trying to get my oldest daughter to shoot some for over a year. She wanted nothing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New shooter, my oldest.

New shooter, my oldest.

Proud papa, thought I would share.

We have been trying to get my oldest daughter to shoot some for over a year. She wanted nothing to do with it. We took her to the indoor range with us and she fired one round. Well, after watching Top Shot she decided it might be fun. I was heading over to the property I hunt and mentioned shooting my pellet rifle. She wanted to go, and wanted to shoot. I grabbed the .22 chipmunk that's been waiting on her since before she was born and off we went. Here are the results.

Her with the chipmunk and our target.

These are her targets. They were shot from about 20 yrds away. Keep in mind it's the first time she has really shot a gun. There were a couple of fliers, but only a couple.

My targets from the pellet rifle for those interested. The middle target was with the adjustable trigger dialed in.

Since this was such a rousing success and I really want her to learn on open sights too, this was under the tree for both girls to share.

About a dozen clays met their demise today. We went in to warm up, and she wanted to go back out later but it was too dark. I think she's hooked.

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    She shoots better that me, I been out shot by a young Lady, that makes my day. Happy for you, enjoy your Christmas gift.

VIP Member
    Some young men in the future are going to have their hands full. Happy New Year!
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    You may have opened a bucket of worms now.

On her birthday it will be, "Dad, can I have a Ruger Mark III?" Next Christmas it will be, "Dad, I'd really like that CZ 452 we looked at." Then it will be, "Dad, I think I've outgrown the .22's. Can I have a Sig 229?" Don't forget the day she comes to you and says, "Dad, I really enjoy shooting the bolt action rifles, but what I really, really, really want is my own AR!"

Congrat's on the new shooting partner.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    You may have opened a bucket of worms now.

On her birthday it will be, "Dad, can I have a Ruger Mark III?" Next Christmas it will be, "Dad, I'd really like that CZ 452 we looked at." Then it will be, "Dad, I think I've outgrown the .22's. Can I have a Sig 229?" Don't forget the day she comes to you and says, "Dad, I really enjoy shooting the bolt action rifles, but what I really, really, really want is my own AR!"

Dont scare the poor guy...lol

OP congrats
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Lead Moderator
    Looks like she's a natural, and has the basics down!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    but what I really, really, really want is my own AR!"

No, that's her mom. She wants a silencer too. And she really liked the silenced Saiga Shotgun on Sons of Guns. Heck, I do too. But it's gonna take a while to scrap up that kind of money.

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Congrats on the discovery of a sharp-shooter...it would make any dad proud...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Fantastic. Don't know if you are interested or not, but you might consider getting her involved in a 4-H Shooting Sports program. Here are the contacts for North Carolina 4-H Shooting Sports:

Gene Shutt
    Director at Millstone 4-H Center
    1296 Mallard Dr.
    Ellerbe, NC 28338
    rshutt@etinternet.net
    Telephone: (910) 652-5905
    Fax: (910) 652-5905

Ken Burgess
    4-H Camping Associate
    Box 7606, NC State University
    Raliegh, NC 27695-7606
    Ken_Burgess@ncsu.edu
    Telephone: (919) 515-8483
    Fax: (919) 515-7812

I run the Wood County, Ohio Shooting Sports program and I can tell you first hand that getting kids involved in 4-H and in 4-H Shooting Sports is one of the best moves you can make. If you have any questions, PM me at divebum@earthlink.net.

Great job on the targets!!! It's going to be your daughter's generation which will ensure the survival of the Second Amendment as well as the survival of shooting. Please pass on my sincere admiration and respects to her.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Is her name ANNIE? Train her well, for her piece of mind and yours.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

It is great to see our youth getting involved in shooting. So many times they just want to play video games. Congrats on your daughter taking up a great sport and I know from my own family you must have had a great time as a family. Nothing says bonding better than blowing up clays and laughing as you learn a skill. I remember that same look 10 years ago. Now my kid is saving for a S&W performance center .357. Long way from that 1st BB gun
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    Fantastic. Don't know if you are interested or not, but you might consider getting her involved in a 4-H Shooting Sports program. Here are the contacts for North Carolina 4-H Shooting Sports:
    Thanks for the info. I never thought to look there. I'll have to check into it.

I told her everybody thought she did great. She just grinned.

Administrator
    Good deal... Start 'em young!

I've found that making up shooting games keeps my boy interested and he tries harder to do better.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Nice groups. You should be proud.

It's funny what will inspire a kid. My son is addicted to Hickok45.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Is that a pink Red Rider (a Pink Rider)? Say it ain't so!

Good for her. Maybe a Top Shot contestant in the making?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links