Gunsmith I'm not

This is a discussion on Gunsmith I'm not within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Crosman Model 38T .22 Six shooter Circa 1973-76 ? I found this recently among some of my late father's possessions and thought it might be ...

Thread: Gunsmith I'm not

Gunsmith I'm not

Crosman Model 38T .22 Six shooter
    Circa 1973-76 ?

I found this recently among some of my late father's possessions and thought it might be fun to shoot.
    Actually, I have had it about a month and cabin fever finally set in so I go to the store and buy pellets and Co2 cartridges. I even nailed a target to a tree.
    First sign of trouble was a rapid gas leak when I installed a fresh cartridge.

After studying the details of a rebuild online by somebody with far more dedication and enthusiasm for an airgun than I could ever possess, I decided to go for the quick fix. Or so I thought.
    Having pinpointing the leak(I think) I elect to utilize the same product that was so effective repairing the sunroof on my old Mustang.
    Yep, black silicone. I even had the patience to let it sit overnight. Popped a cartridge in today and voila, no leak! My joy was short lived as I discovered it didn't fire either.
    My overzealous use of silicone prohibited the cartridge from seating far enough in the hole to puncture the canister.

While I ponder this dilema, I realize I have re-installed the big brass nut in such as way as to prohibit proper movement of the trigger linkage.(If that is the proper terminology, which I highly doubt)
    Not only that, but I seemed to have bent it somewhat by repeatedly pulling the trigger while it was binding.
    I figure I can remedy this by bending it slightly. Turns out the forty year old piece of metal didn't take to kindly to bending and promptly snapped in two.
    (Note small horse shoe shaped piece on table)

After destoying an obsolete part, I decided to admit defeat and retire the old Crosman. Oh, well, it was worth a shot.
    I may use the other 13 new Co2 cartridges as little exploding targets.

This article was written for entertainment purposes only. Please don't try this at home.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    These folk my be able to help you. I may be nice to get an old airgun up and running again.

A full service airgun parts and repair business, specializing in Crosman, Benjamin, Sheridan, and Daisy.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    These folk my be able to help you. I may be nice to get an old airgun up and running again.

A full service airgun parts and repair business, specializing in Crosman, Benjamin, Sheridan, and Daisy.
    I found a Crosman forum and the guy I mentioned had machining tools to fabricate parts that are hard or impossible to locate.
    A common problem seems to be cracked and rotted seals and O-rings. Sometimes you could luck up and find a match in the plumbing section of Lowes I suppose.
    I really don't know if I will persue this, but thank-you for passing along the information.

Links