Need suggestions for a good BD present.....

This is a discussion on Need suggestions for a good BD present..... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ....for my oldest son. He will be turning 14 this weekend and I really want to get him something "grown-up." He got everything he wanted ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Need suggestions for a good BD present.....

....for my oldest son. He will be turning 14 this weekend and I really want to get him something "grown-up." He got everything he wanted for Christmas, ie MW3, xbox points, android cell phone etc. He likes airsoft really well and I take him out to Lakeland, Fl (black tiger) every couple months.

I was thinking about a real nice pocket knife. What do you think?

His father is estranged.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and considered.

Thanks!!

Pocket knives are a good idea. You could get it engraved and make it unique.

Or maybe a .22 rifle.

What kind if things did you want at 14?
    MinistrMalic likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Administrator
    I got a Victorinox knife, the "soldier" model to be exact around that age- its been in my pocket everyday since. It's been around the world with me. It's opened cans when I was hungry, beers when I was thirsty, spliced wires in a duece that tried to strand me in the northern plains in a snow storm, it's been a fuse replacement so I could have headlights to get me and my old jeep home, it's been welded to a bus bar after I hiked up a mountain side to repair an electrical system in a communications shed leaving my tool bag in the truck, and it's actually saved my life while I was cutting rafters with a large worm drive saw on a remote job site. (I think I posted that story before)
    That's just the major stuff I can think of off the top of my head. I think that is one of the best gifts any red blooded American guy can get.
    JoJoGunn and RMS like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Pocket knives are a good idea. You could get it engraved and make it unique.

Or maybe a .22 rifle.

What kind if things did you want at 14?
    I don't think what a girl would want at 14 and what a boy would want are going to be the same.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    The pocket knife is a good idea. Sadly you will need to make sure he is aware that he cannot take it to school, or carry it at any type of school function. It's not the same world we grew up in.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

+1 on a good pocket knife...CASE,BUCK,OLD TIMER..all good blades.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I got a Victorinox knife, the "soldier" model to be exact around that age- its been in my pocket everyday since. It's been around the world with me. It's opened cans when I was hungry, beers when I was thirsty, spliced wires in a duece that tried to strand me in the northern plains in a snow storm, it's been a fuse replacement so I could have headlights to get me and my old jeep home, it's been welded to a bus bar after I hiked up a mountain side to repair an electrical system in a communications shed leaving my tool bag in the truck, and it's actually saved my life while I was cutting rafters with a large worm drive saw on a remote job site. (I think I posted that story before)
    That's just the major stuff I can think of off the top of my head. I think that is one of the best gifts any red blooded American guy can get.
    This is exactly what i am hoping. He is turning out to be a fine young man and I want to give him something that shows that I appreciate the man he is becoming.

I thought the pocket knife was a good idea and I hope he cherish's as much as you did/do Sixto.

Pocket knife!
    Ill never forget my first,I was 13. nothing says responsibility like a knife to a young man. Call me old fashioned...
    gunsnroses and RMS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I don't think what a girl would want at 14 and what a boy would want are going to be the same.
    Yeah, my bad. I realized that afterwards...

SIXTO, is this the model that you have: http://www.swissarmy.com/us/product/...-s-Knife/53945
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I have had my ears pierced since I was five. My mom got us all diamond earrings at 13. I only had one side pierced at the time so I got one. My parents had separated a while before and she used the diamond from her engagement ring to make my earring. I thought it was a nice gesture.

I still own it, but have taken the piercings out for now. I gauged them to about pencil size then decided to let them shrink back down.

Now this doesn't help much if your child doesn't have piercings and if you do not want him to. I think I got a tool box and tools around then. That was pretty awesome too. Still got a lot of it now.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I have had my ears pierced since I was five. My mom got us all diamond earrings at 13. I only had one side pierced at the time so I got one. My parents had separated a while before and she used the diamond from her engagement ring to make my earring. I thought it was a nice gesture.

I still own it, but have taken the piercings out for now. I gauged them to about pencil size then decided to let them shrink back down.

Now this doesn't help much if your child doesn't have piercings and if you do not want him to. I think I got a tool box and tools around then. That was pretty awesome too. Still got a lot of it now.
    Ear piercings are not a problem and I have no qualms about getting them for him.....but he has never mentioned getting any and I don't think that they are popular with the generation "y". Non of his friends have them either.

But thats a good idea.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Yeah, my bad. I realized that afterwards...

SIXTO, is this the model that you have: Soldier Knife Pocket Knife, Swiss Army, Swiss Army Soldier Knife Pocket Knife
    No, they must have renamed mine. The one you linked to is much more modern looking. Mine is now called the "pioneer"
    "Just blame Sixto"

Im confused :(

SOG, Spyderco, Kershaw?

This is what they sell at our sports authority or dicks. Whats a good blade?

:whaaa:

p.s. as much as I hate Eli Manning.....I hate the Cowboys more. hehe!

I just bought 2 benchmade griptilians. My girlfriend and I both like them. They offer laser engraving too. I though about trying to get a cat engraved on one.

I bought myself a REALLY good hunting knife when I was 14, and my parents promptly took it away from me .... and I told them, some day ... I'll get it back. Then .... 39 yrs later when my father died and we were cleaning stuff out, I found the knife sitting there, and now have it back.

I never understood that, since I had been shooting a .22 rifle on my own since I was about 10 , and a shotgun since I was about 12-13, driving the pickup truck at 10 around the fields and country roads, the 2 ton truck into town loaded with wheat since I was 12, driving a tractor @ 10 and plowing / combining / etc. since I was 12. How did they think I was not old enough at 14 to have a good hunting knife.

My older brother was an idiot, and about cut his thumb off and all type of other stupid things @ 14 with a knife, but they knew I wasn't nearly as dumb as he was.

"Good" pocket knife or hunting knife, would definitely work well at that age. One worth engraving his name on it, even better.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links