Hunters be aware of your target.

This is a discussion on Hunters be aware of your target. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sadly we hear of these incidents every hunting season, it is incumbent of every hunter to identify their target or if there is any question ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Hunters be aware of your target.

VIP Member

Sadly we hear of these incidents every hunting season, it is incumbent of every hunter to identify their target or if there is any question pass on the shot. Hopefully the victimís injuries were not too severe and she will make a full recovery.

Hunting Mass. trooper accidentally shoots woman

NORTON, Mass. ó An off-duty state trooper who was hunting in southeast Massachusetts shot and wounded a 66-year-old woman who was out walking her two dogs when he mistook her pets for a deer.

The woman was shot in the torso while walking on a wooded path in Norton about 5 p.m. Saturday. Police said the trooper called 911 after realizing he had mistaken the tails of the two retrievers for a deer's tail.

The unidentified woman who lives in Norton was taken to Rhode Island Hospital for treatment. Authorities provided no further information on her condition.
    Hunting Mass. trooper accidentally shoots woman :: WRAL.com
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I'm as pro gun and pro hunter as they get. But I hope this guy looses his license for a while. And a better hunting safety course might be a good idea. I know I don't aim at tails, or what I think are tails. By the time I see where I want to shoot, there is no doubt what the critter is.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Sadly we hear of these incidents every hunting season, it is incumbent of every hunter to identify their target or if there is any question pass on the shot. Hopefully the victimís injuries were not too severe and she will make a full recovery.

Hunting Mass. trooper accidentally shoots woman :: WRAL.com
    I am a life-long hunter. This is totaly unacceptable. The simple rule; know your target and beyond is not only important in hunting, Im not sure if this trooper should be allowed to carry a firearm anymore? If your inadequite I.Q. dosnt allow for the proper use of your firearm your firearm becomes nothing more than a hinderance to yourself and others. My prayers go out to the victim and a huge SHAME ON YOU! to the trigger happy trooper. This kind of thing is what gives us a bad wrap. This is what goes thrue the anti-gun advocates head. Here you have a highly trained trooper that this happened to, so of course it could happen to anyone, Its just one of the dangers of guns and why we need more laws to protect us from guns. Fact is we cant protect against stupidity, so lets ban the guns. Cases like these are the absolute worst for our cause because their is no excuse. PLEASE, be safe out there, the left wants our guns, lets at least put up a fight and make them take them from us with a huge fight. These kinds of inexcusable actions gives away our rights on a silver platter.

I'm not an avid deer hunter,but both times I have hunted and taken deer there was no doubt they were deer and both shots were between 50 and 200 yards with a 3x9 power scope,People that shoot at brush moving,and or don't positively identify their targets before shooting,need the hunting license revoked for life,this kinda crap is totally unacceptable
    atctimmy likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The worst case of this I've heard of was in New Mexico many years ago. A game warden parked his truck and horse trailer in a clearing. Someone shot his horse as he was backing it out of the trailer. They said they thought it was a deer - even though it was wearing a day-glow orange blanket. That incident plus a hunting companion "accidentally" firing a round from his "empty" rifle that missed my head by 2 inches caused me to decide that spending time in the mountains infested with immature, often drunk people inflicted with buck fever was not my idea of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    I'm as pro gun and pro hunter as they get. But I hope this guy looses his license for a while. And a better hunting safety course might be a good idea. I know I don't aim at tails, or what I think are tails. By the time I see where I want to shoot, there is no doubt what the critter is.
    For awhile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How about forever!!!!! If you aim at something you better be darn well sure what it is. I'll just be blunt, this guy is an idiot and anybody that shoots somebody because he thought the tails of the dogs were a deer needs to be charged with manslaughter or negligent homicide if she dies. I am sure the guy feels like doo doo right now and I feel bad for him as well, but I don't consider these accidents. IMO if you shoot at a deer and miss and ricquochets and hits somebody way down range, that is an accident. Mis identifying what you put your crosshairs on is negligence pure and simple. For awhile, get real.
    phreddy and MattInFla like this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    For awhile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How about forever!!!!! If you aim at something you better be darn well sure what it is. I'll just be blunt, this guy is an idiot and anybody that shoots somebody because he thought the tails of the dogs were a deer needs to be charged with manslaughter or negligent homicide if she dies. I am sure the guy feels like doo doo right now and I feel bad for him as well, but I don't consider these accidents. IMO if you shoot at a deer and miss and ricquochets and hits somebody way down range, that is an accident. Mis identifying what you put your crosshairs on is negligence pure and simple. For awhile, get real.
    I have to agree with this. Since when, is it ok to shoot something that we cant see or identify...
    phreddy and suntzu like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    In VT we used to paint a big yellow "COW" on the stock...gotta love NYC hunters and their "sound" shots.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

he had mistaken the tails of the two retrievers for a deer's tail.
    Lessee... he's career law enforcement, which should put him in the category of "trained observer," but he thinks a pair of retriever tails are a deer's tail???

On his radio: "Suspect is driving Ford pickup" (actually, a Volvo station wagon).

"Two male suspects departed in the direction of the parking lot" (actually one guy getting out of his car).

I sure hope this guy never was called to testify in court. What an embarrassment.
    suntzu and SIGguy229 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    In VT we used to paint a big yellow "COW" on the stock...gotta love NYC hunters and their "sound" shots.
    Having seen quite a few NYC hunters, I have to ask... Did that really work??
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    For awhile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How about forever!!!!!
    I'm just giving the oh so little bit of leeway that somehow, by some crazy scenario, there is a reason for this. But odds are there is no reason. I would not argue with forever. Journalists aren't the bearers of good information that they once may have been.

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Lessee... he's career law enforcement, which should put him in the category of "trained observer," but he thinks a pair of retriever tails are a deer's tail.
    Apparently, he's not good of a shot, either, considering he missed the "deer."
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Boston]Boston News, Massachusetts News, Weather & Sports 7NEWS WHDH-TV WHDH.COM News, Massachusetts News, Weather & Sports 7NEWS WHDH-TV WHDH.COM

The trooper will not be charged.

Sorry LEO's out there, I am not blaming them for the decision not to prosecute this guy. I grew up in MA, now live in NH. They have no problems whatsover charging anybody else. If somebody can tell me this isn't favoritism............. I will listen.

Followup: Lady is OK, Trooper will not be charged

This is a followup:

Boston]Boston News, Massachusetts News, Weather & Sports 7NEWS WHDH-TV WHDH.COM News, Massachusetts News, Weather & Sports 7NEWS WHDH-TV WHDH.COM

Missing is the troopers name. Every shooting "accident" for the last 5 years that I can remember they put the shooters name in the article.
    If this was the other way around and he was shot walking a dog I could almost bet my retirement check that person would be prosecuted for something.

The trooper will not be charged.

Sorry LEO's out there, I am not blaming them for the decision not to prosecute this guy. I grew up in MA, now live in NH. They have no problems whatsover charging anybody else. If somebody can tell me this isn't favoritism............. I will listen.

Glad she will be OK. I hope she starts wearing some orange too. I'm not trying to put any blame on her. Personally, if I go fly fishing during firearms season I would have orange on too. You just never know what some fool will mistake you for. You can't trust folks to use good judgement any more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links