Smart Phone Apps TOS = Infringement?

This is a discussion on Smart Phone Apps TOS = Infringement? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I recently uninstalled several of my apps on my droid due to the new TOS (Terms Of Service) stating that I must agree to allow ...

Thread: Smart Phone Apps TOS = Infringement?

Smart Phone Apps TOS = Infringement?

I recently uninstalled several of my apps on my droid due to the new TOS (Terms Of Service) stating that I must agree to allow them access to my phone ESN, when I am on a call, who I am on a call with, and that persons phone info.

First off, WTH does a game (Angry Birds for starters) need that type of info?

Second, how can one person legally authorize access to another persons info? That would be like my neighbors authorizing their phone company access to my account.

At some point there will be a test case on this. Program TOS be it computer or smart phone are spooky to start with. Need to be a lawyer to understand it, 99% of the people don't read them so who knows what you have agreed to. Never take anything for granted when lawyers get involved (no offense meant to the members of this community).

Enough to make me want to go back to a dumb phone, but I like access to the net when I need it, and the GPS is handy.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

Facebook does the same thing. So do a lot of applications. The main reason is to collect demographics and marketing information. Some do it a little more covertly. If the terms of service demand you to provide information you don't want to provide, don't use the app. It's still a choice - at least for the time being.

Whether you like it or not, it's tough to exist in this country without some sort of invasion of privacy. The fault is partially our own for the general mood of apathy and the entitlement mentality.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

From my understanding (and im not a rocket surgeon), many apps need to know that info for legit purposes. Phone state is a common permission because it needs to know when you have an incoming call. Thats the function that allows incoming calls to come in even when playing Angry Birds. It just sounds shady when you see that pop up.

Also, it's not easy to get information from the phone companies. Just to get a location from a "ping" almost takes an act of congress. And like you said, you can always go back to a "dumb phone".

It's like a more modern, advanced version of tracking cookies. I would have to confirm this, but I'd bet that even this site uses your browsing history to match advertisements at the top of the page to appeal to you most and stores that information. When I scan my computer I always have a ton of tracking cookies that I delete because some of them can end up with attempts to hack e-mail, etc.

I just joined the smart phone craze on Thursday, so I can't comment on it much, but I have been enjoying my Motorola Electrify.

One word for you: CarrierIQ.

It's not so much the phone status I am bothered about. It's the giving away of the phone information of the person that I may be on the phone with.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Let's be forthright about what is going on here. The advertising industry and the telecoms bribed congress to
    create EULAs, and for all any of us know we have sold our first born.

Meanwhile, the slime keep finding new and more creative ways of stealing information. It is phishing and gotchyas, and very little of it is legit in the sense of being really necessary.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    From my understanding (and im not a rocket surgeon), many apps need to know that info for legit purposes. Phone state is a common permission because it needs to know when you have an incoming call. Thats the function that allows incoming calls to come in even when playing Angry Birds. It just sounds shady when you see that pop up.

Also, it's not easy to get information from the phone companies. Just to get a location from a "ping" almost takes an act of congress. And like you said, you can always go back to a "dumb phone".
    Yep, this is why the app needs the permissions. It keeps the app open in the background, paused, lets you proceed with your phone call, then picks back up when finished. It sounds more scary than it is. If you are worried about privacy, though... I don't recommend using a smart phone, at all. I wouldn't use a social media website, like facebook, either.

Links