Subject: The Y GENERATION

This is a discussion on Subject: The Y GENERATION within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; - People born before 1946 were called The Silent generation. - People born between 1946 and 1964 are called The Baby Boomers. - People born ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Subject: The Y GENERATION

GM [OP]

Subject: The Y GENERATION

- People born before 1946 were called The Silent generation.
    - People born between 1946 and 1964 are called The Baby Boomers.
    - People born between 1965 and 1979 are called Generation X.
    - And people born between 1980 and 2010 are called Generation Y.

Why do we call the last group Generation Y?:

Y should I get a job?
    Y should I leave home and find my own place?
    Y should I get a car when I can borrow yours?
    Y should I clean my room?
    Y should I wash and iron my own clothes?
    Y should I buy any food?

But a cartoonist explained it very eloquently below:

the Y-generation.jpg
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

2. Remove Ads

My youngest son isn't a very good Generation Y guy. He has a job, has two cars and a motorcycle, buys some of his own food, but the rest of the items still fit. I love him anyway. Oh, he has some sweet firearms, yes he does!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

The country has been committing cultural suicide since Generation X was in diapers.
    HotGuns and Eaglebeak like this.

VIP Member
    I'd like to point out that it's not the child's fault that it misbehaves. It is the parents who allow it.
    WHEC724, RMS, babarock and 4 others like this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Yes, there are good kids out there but I run into the "entitlement" likes on a daily basis. Like the teenage server who rolls their eyes when you ask for a drink refill.

VIP Member
    I've had some of those drinks, too. past closing.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

The problem, regardless of generation, is the lost art of parenting. Failure to dicsipline. Failure to teach respect. Failure to teach consequence of actions. Just failure all the way around.

Simply put, I was born in '74 and see my raising as this:
    Love
    Respect
    Discilpline
    Fear

Yes, fear. I loved and respected my stepfather for the hard working, tough man that he was. At the same time I feared some of the punishments he would hand out when needed. Never did he raise a hand to spank..wasnt his style...but he was creative in his punishments.

I grew up, served my country, am in LE, married and have two awesome children who are learning the same core values. I owe who I am to my stepfather and my mother. A tough as nails, crude business woman who even gave cancer one heck of a fight.

Sadly...parenting is a lost skill. Most kids (I'm talking born late '80's - present) have no respect for their parents or others hecause there was no fear of consequence growing up.

It's sick to see little kids yelling and screaming in store and restaurants, telling their parents what they want or what they are going to do. Pathetic.
    ctr, boricua, JoJoGunn and 6 others like this.

Funny, but a generalization. Maybe a wee bit of truth in it, all good humor has an element of truth...........

My daughter and son, three nieces and a nephew are all so called "Gen Y" and this flies in the face of reality. All have careers, homes they have purchased, many have their own families and are productive members of society. They are all becoming much more conservative, in fact my son, a former <gasp> progressive is now finding Ron Paul acceptable but for a few social stances.

Go figure. I can smile at this humor, even though this Gen Y age group has been dealt a pretty tough job market and a world in economic and financial upheaval.

And, a common thread all of the above kids experienced: Consequences.

Interestingly, my 20 month old granddaughter understands Consequences well, arguably better than her father, my EX-SIL <Thankfully!>
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Life has become to easy and parents to liberal. In my day you learned to work before you became a teen ager and once in your teens you learned that if you wanted to eat - you worked.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I was born in 88 and I will tell you that this is true. I was raised to respect others, especially elders. To work for my money, and to appreciate it and the things I purchase. To take responsibility for my actions, and to learn from my mistakes. This is how I was raised, and I feel that I am an exception to a rule, these kids are spoiled and have an undeserved attitude of entitlement.

I'd say that generation x did not beat enough a$* raising their kids and its pretty sad that people can barely physically punish their children anymore.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    PC BS has terrified parents with the threat of jail if they stand up to their kids. That's why they're not getting spanked hard enough when they're little. Right after my boys were tantrum proofed, they were gun proofed. You won't see them in any OWS Obamaville.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Seems there's a ridiculous misconception of the Occupy Movement.

Are some of the people spoiled, not wanting to work punks? Sure. There are bad apples in every group.

But there are more than enough of us hard working, veterans who are parents and "average" citizens who fully support and believe that this is what is needed for many social and economical reasons.

So let's stop with the moronic stereotyping that Occupiers are just all worthless, jobless wastes that only want to take what you have without working for it.

There are a good majority of us, working class citizen, that see the writting on the wall and how government is out of control and the balance needs to be restored.

As a 23 year old I can definitely see the OP's point. I graduated high school in 2006. I bummed around at my moms house working at a grocery store until I was 19. My mom told me more or less to get a better job or get out. Long story short, now I'm 23 ad I'm just finishe a 4 year sheet metal apprenticeship. I live on my own with my girlfriend and I don't owe a single penny to anyone.

Unfortunately most of my friends from high school are reaching their mid to late 20's and are still at home asking for rides to their minimum wage job. I do not associate with people like that.

So some young adults are lazy and entitled but not all. I think it ws the "no child left behind" crap and the "oh you did it wrong but you get an A because you tried hard" that ruined my generation
    Last edited by HotGuns; January 2nd, 2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: language workaround
    babarock likes this.

I like to think I am an exception to *most* of those rules. But I still agree because I've seen many who fit the bill perfectly!

I have a nice truck, a motorcycle, a credit card with no balance, etc. I also have a full time job, and an associates degree in that field. (firefighter, fire science) I'm still living at home only having had this job for a few months now. Saving to take advantage of the housing market! I'm 20 and I know that many people I know find it weird that I've done all this stuff and still can't legally drink.

I have no problem buying/cooking food or doing laundry, but after moving back from college my parents actually get upset with me if I do either. I need to work on the cleaning my room thing though. haha!

[QUOTE=NYCrulesU;2121828]The problem, regardless of generation, is the lost art of parenting. Failure to dicsipline. Failure to teach respect. Failure to teach consequence of actions. Just failure all the way around.

Simply put, I was born in '74 and see my raising as this:
    Love
    Respect
    Discilpline
    Fear

We were raised with the same values in the 60's also, but now I am dating myself...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links