Anyone else trust their dog's sense about certain people ??

This is a discussion on Anyone else trust their dog's sense about certain people ?? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have 3 dogs, one a now 7 mo old white GS. Only had her 3 months. She is NOT a barker, and seems to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Anyone else trust their dog's sense about certain people ??

Anyone else trust their dog's sense about certain people ??

I have 3 dogs, one a now 7 mo old white GS. Only had her 3 months. She is NOT a barker, and seems to mostly love everyone. She's "stealth".... if she thinks someone or something is there (at night, etc) she wants to investigate and then if she sees something, she will bark.

However, I have a newer neighbors (a couple) , and whenever she sees "HIM", she puffs up and gives a very deep bark .... it's a clear warning to him to come no closer. She does NOT like him at all. He is the ONLY person she does this with.

My way of thinking is, if she doesn't trust him or like him, then neither do I. I trust a dog's sense about people.

Wondered if any other dog owners trust their dog's sense of people as much as I do.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Your dog is clearly reacting to something. It could be something important or it could be something silly like the hat he wore when your dog first saw him. Unfortunately, there is no way to know. I would certainly advocate additional caution with respect to the guy, the same as if he gave you an uneasy feeling.

Do others trust and let themselves be influenced by their dogs sense about people? Certainly. Years ago I was on a business trip to help diagnose and repair some equipment. During the trip the sales rep, whom I was traveling with, had to make a stop to visit the end customer and the visit took place at the customer's house. At the time, the company was having difficulties with this customer and the relationship was somewhat hostile. The meeting took place at the kitchen table with his wife and (adult) daughter present, as well as the doberman. For some reason the dog sat about 2 feet from me staring constantly. Then the daughter says, "guys, look, she really likes him. He must be ok." and then hands me a dog toy to throw for the dog. After that, the meeting took a substantially more pleasant atmosphere.

Sometimes. Not always. I swear that one of our dogs is a racist. Loves all of our friends but the black ones. Which is weird, seeing as how I'm Asian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Animals sense things that seem beyond us, but I do trust the insight of a good canine.
    I look at it as another part of SA...doesn't mean a bark or growl is bad, just a 'potential' problem...take heed!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I trust a dog's sense about people, my dogs are my first alert system at home.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    For the most part yes.

--------------------------------------
    Sent from my Sprint Photon using Tapatalk
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

My dog is an idiot... Lucky for him he's cute and we love him. He does bark at anyone that he sees within 1/4 mile of my house, which, since I live in a city with close neighbors (and across the street from an elementary school), is really annoying...especially at 8am and 3pm. Trust his insticts? No. But He'll let me know if someone is trying to get in the house.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    I worked with hundreds of dogs during my professional dog training career. No, I do not trust their adrenaline over my judgement whatsoever. My own Doberman, Sabre, was so adrenaline-driven that I could literally give him a guard command, exit the room, and be attacked by him upon undisguised re-entry.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    "A man will walk into hell with both eyes open, but the devil can't fool a dog" - Twilight Zone
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

I've been around dogs for 40 years, and I the majority of the time trust in them when in the middle of the night while in bed they sit up and let loose with a subdued growl. Yes there are false alarms like the wind rattling the trash cans etc. But they are my best friends and live to only want to serve with unconditional loyalty.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Absolutely. My dog is equipped with a built-in Dirt Bag Detector that can be activated in seconds.

All kidding aside, I do think dogs can sense things that humans may be totally unaware of and they certainly try to let us know about it.

We need to pay attention to it as well.
    ctr and Rock and Glock like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I have to agree with above posters. We are on our 4th Golden Retreiver. This one we've had about 2 months, and she is 18 months old. Still a bit skittish, but will alert to every sound that is not the norm. She is a lover, as all our GR have been, and a big part of the family. My wife and I are both hearing impaired, and she really takes up the slack. She hasn't started to bark yet, but most don't start barking till a bit later. There is nothing that gets by her.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    "A man will walk into hell with both eyes open, but the devil can't fool a dog" - Twilight Zone
    I just researched that quote. From and episode on TZ called "The Hunt". That is one fine string of words.

I've had multiple dogs over the years that have reacted negatively to certain people...all the time. As was said earlier, might be something real or just a bad memory that the person brings up....or an odor that we can't perceive.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

VIP Member
    In my experience you have to go with your dog's sense. They know. I don't know how they know, but they know.
    I've seen it time after time after time.

IMO Jo Jo Gunn got it right. Dogs "come equipped with a built in dirt bag detector."
    ctr and Rock and Glock like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I've had at least 4 different dogs over the years and I'd trust each one of them to weed out dirt bags any day of the week. 2 of those dogs (one long since gone) had literally saved my bacon on NUMEROUS occasions because I heeded their instincts about someone and they turned out to be correct. Although one did take a chunk out of an LEO's rear end once...Gotta wonder about that guy
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links