How well do you trust your own gut "feeling"?

This is a discussion on How well do you trust your own gut "feeling"? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just something I was mulling over today. The developement of SA and listening to your gut. Where or how was your SA developed? (We are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: How well do you trust your own gut "feeling"?

How well do you trust your own gut "feeling"?

Just something I was mulling over today. The developement of SA and listening to your gut. Where or how was your SA developed? (We are all learning everyday, so I don't mean to sound as if I've perfected anything).

I trust two things in this world 100%, my faith in God and my own gut instinct. Both have kept me alive through more situations than I can count. The first time I can recall ignoring my gut instinct there was this overwhelming sense to get up from where I was playing and RUN home..I didn't. I was 5 and nearly dragged off into the woods by a stranger. I bit, clawed and kicked my way free and ran home. Never told a soul until I was in my twenties. A day hasn't passed since that I haven't listened to my own gut feeling.

There were many other times. Thankfully I listened. From not going on certain trips or car rides as a teen, that ended in tragedy, because of a "feeling".. to numerous times during combat that came down to a simple "left or right" decision.

I've always been the type to observe a crowd, know (have a good idea) exit routes of any building or store I'm going into, have an exit strategy to most any situation. I never like or allow anyone to walk too close behind me. And I have always...since childhood...literally hoped for the best, but planned and expected the worst.

These are some of the things that I attribute to the developement of my SA and made me who I am today. I very aware of my surroundings at all times. I've actually been diagnosed as "hyper-vigilante". lol Imagine that.

You'd never tell by being around me. I'm calm and walk with a slow, purposeful demeanor. But my brain is always running...always prossessing. My wife and I joke that I will have dementia by the time I'm 50 from wearing my brain out ;) She hates when I say something is going to happen and it does...she says it creeps her out. She says it's weird, I just tell her it's that I think of so many possible outcomes of an action or situation and go with the most likely. I think of it as being very tuned into what's going on around you, human behavior and such. Most times I end up being right.

She says it's very comforting but eery to know that in times of danger or emergency situations...I get really calm and do what needs to be done. That I do attribute directly to my whole "expect the worse" philosophy. In most situations..I've already run so many possibilities of what could happen through my head...that when "it" does happen....it doesn't surprise me at all. I pretty much expected it from the start.

Anyway. Enoigh of my rambling, been up going on 22 hrs. What experiences do you see as having helped develope your SA?
    ExSoldier and First Sgt like this.

2. Remove Ads

Good that you're still here to tell us about it! Hard to way for sure how many times my gut instinct has saved my bacon, but I've listened to it plenty. From deciding to park somewhere else...to leaving a place of business before I was done. Being robbed and beat up by strangers for fun (separate occasions) as a kid growing up in Detroit. Then I suppose my years in EMS reinforced that bad things can and do happen to anyone, anywhere.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Call it "gut feeling", Spidey sense, Extra Sensory Perception, but I firmly believe in it to the max.

I too have had those "feelings" and for the most part I LISTEN to them. We are endowed by our Creator with senses other than the normal sight, hearing, taste, feel etc. It has been called a "sixth" sense and other names but yes it most certainly exists. I have had a few experiences with it that defy description.

We are born with them, but as we grow older, our society frowns upon that type of "sense" and we soon learn to forget we have it. Some have gone to the extreme and call it evil.

Some people however do keep that sensory ability and use it. I can truthfully say I am one of those people.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    It's there for a reason, so I tend to take heed. It's called a 'gut feeling' but it is actually your mind taking into account small observations and judging a situation by them.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    The only mistakes I've made in my life came from ignoring my gut.
    Eagleks, mr.stuart and HotGuns like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

You have to take into account all of your feelings, you can tell when things are just not right. The trick is to recognize it and take action before you are in too deep!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Read DeBecker's book The Gift of Fear. It explains the issues you raised.

While The Gift of Fear helps explain it... The explanation is unnecessary...

You bet, I listen to mine. When it has led me wrong, it has not caused any harm... when it was right... well, it saved my bacon.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Family owns a car rental business and we base everything on a gut feeling. You can walk in with a gold Amex car and a 1,000 suit or be wearing ripped jeans and T-shirt but if something is off you are not leaving with own vehicle.

One rainy Friday evening in the office with my brother and father and a guy walks in and want to rent a car and 30 seconds another guy walks in wanting to rent a car. You guys together? They look at each other and both reply nope.

Ok first guy. My brother asks for his license and starts witting the contract and I am sitting in the back with my dad having a conversation and with one ear listening to my brother asks who do you work for? Home Depot Ok what department? Lumber. I ask for how long have you worked in lumber? Years, Ok what is the measurement of a 2 x 4 ? 6 ft or 8 ft No what are the true dimension? 2 x 4 ok pass on the rental.The guy walks out.

2nd guy same thing start writing the guy up. Who do you work for ? I am a plumber. Ok what is the stuff called that you brush onto copper pipe before sweating them together? No such thing. Ok, pass on this rental too. Guy walks out. I wait 20 seconds and walk out and jump into a rental vehicle and start following the 2nd guy. He gets into a car parked down the block with guy number 1. they were up to no good.

I drive back to office and my brother and dad ask what were those questions? The measurement of a 2 x 4 is a 1 1/2 x 3 1/2 and if he worked in the lumber department he would of known that and you use flux before sweating the joint on copper pipe.

Oh by the way both guys got into another car down the block and left together. Gut feeling is always right.

I always trust mine ..... like you, it's saved my rear many times.

I came to the conclusion our "gut" is our sub-conscious recognizing something we are not necessarily consciously recognizing, and telling us to pay attention to it.
    swiftyjuan likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    When I was younger I ignored that little voice and I have the scares to prove it. I started making better decisions when I consulted that little voice, life got easier. I sure am glad he didn't abandon me when I ignored him so much.

If I would have known I was going to live this ong I would have treated my self better when I was younger.

I trust in my gut almost always. I agree that I have faith in a very few things. My God, my wife and myself to name the greater portion of them. I'll be the first to admit that I profile. I'm prejudiced. Not against skin color or beliefs, but against behaviors and stereotypes. White, Black, Mexican, Asian or Incan for all I care, if you come rolling down the street on 22" chrome rims with a stereo that sounds like it's going to rattle your car apart, I'm prejudiced against you and just about nothing you say or do will make me trust you. My downstairs neighbors. Loud music, marijuana smell that drifts up to my apartment. I don't care to get to know them, I don't trust them. They're black, but I trusted the white folks who lived across from them even less. My wife and I are pretty sure one of them beat his girlfriend.

I trust my gut. I profile. And I'm darn proud of it.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

My gut tells me not to trust anyone...most of the time.
    If it walks like a duck...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I follow my gut 99% of the time, my wife actually asks me what I think of people and whatnot because I'm usually right with my first impressions. I do the same with business, if I think something is right that's the way I do it. I figure life is too short to second guess my own feelings and at the end of the day they can save your butt from time to time.

Take care!

Luke

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post
    Just something I was mulling over today. The developement of SA and listening to your gut. Where or how was your SA developed? (We are all learning everyday, so I don't mean to sound as if I've perfected anything).

I trust two things in this world 100%, my faith in God and my own gut instinct. Both have kept me alive through more situations than I can count. The first time I can recall ignoring my gut instinct there was this overwhelming sense to get up from where I was playing and RUN home..I didn't. I was 5 and nearly dragged off into the woods by a stranger. I bit, clawed and kicked my way free and ran home. Never told a soul until I was in my twenties. A day hasn't passed since that I haven't listened to my own gut feeling.

There were many other times. Thankfully I listened. From not going on certain trips or car rides as a teen, that ended in tragedy, because of a "feeling".. to numerous times during combat that came down to a simple "left or right" decision.

I've always been the type to observe a crowd, know (have a good idea) exit routes of any building or store I'm going into, have an exit strategy to most any situation. I never like or allow anyone to walk too close behind me. And I have always...since childhood...literally hoped for the best, but planned and expected the worst.

These are some of the things that I attribute to the developement of my SA and made me who I am today. I very aware of my surroundings at all times. I've actually been diagnosed as "hyper-vigilante". lol Imagine that.

You'd never tell by being around me. I'm calm and walk with a slow, purposeful demeanor. But my brain is always running...always prossessing. My wife and I joke that I will have dementia by the time I'm 50 from wearing my brain out ;) She hates when I say something is going to happen and it does...she says it creeps her out. She says it's weird, I just tell her it's that I think of so many possible outcomes of an action or situation and go with the most likely. I think of it as being very tuned into what's going on around you, human behavior and such. Most times I end up being right.

She says it's very comforting but eery to know that in times of danger or emergency situations...I get really calm and do what needs to be done. That I do attribute directly to my whole "expect the worse" philosophy. In most situations..I've already run so many possibilities of what could happen through my head...that when "it" does happen....it doesn't surprise me at all. I pretty much expected it from the start.

Anyway. Enoigh of my rambling, been up going on 22 hrs. What experiences do you see as having helped develope your SA?
    Every single thing you have uttered in this post could have been said of myself. Great minds think alike? Well, sure. I have been teaching Situational Awareness for over 25 years. As I have done that my own sense of SA has sharpened and grown more than I could ever have guessed it would when I started this journey. My "little voice" whispers to me when I get antsy for any reason and it has done so all over the world. Listening to that still small voice has saved my behind more times than I can say.

I started with SA when I was really small and that was a result of getting bullied constantly because I was the little nerd who would rather read a good book (read my sister's required reading for college -- when I was in the 6th grade) than watch football. Still that way, too. Well, except for the 'BAMA/LSU game next week. I graduated from 'BAMA and was there for back to back national championships. ANYWAY, I was always getting beaten up by the bullies, so I learned very fast to spot them coming. I didn't learn to fight back until much later in the 9th grade as a result of getting into the martial arts. I think being bullied changed my life. I switched from wanting to be a marine biologist to getting my degree in Criminal Justice with a concentration in Law Enforcement. Then I got commissioned as a US Army Infantry Officer and served on active duty.

The army really gave me the skills to see trouble coming and deal with it when it arrived. Later on after I left active duty, my focus shifted as I entered law enforcement as a State Parole & Probation Officer. I had to go deep into the 'Hood and do investigations and cover my "clients" at work and at home, arresting where necessary. That was when I got some deep insight into the mind of the criminal element.

When I entered that job, my client list was composed thusly: The area office supervisor went around to each FEMALE officer and said:

"Gimme the top five guys who scare you the most. The guys who've sworn to kill you if they get the shot. We'll give 'em to the new guy from the army." That is literally how I started my job.

I wasn't shy about asking these guys how they went about doing what it is that got them into my clientele. That's where I learned the effect of being armed. I'd had carry permits from the age of 21 in three states before I first carried the badge, but now I was getting it straight from the source. They'd say (almost verbatim):

"Hey, a cop has to bust you. So what? Cost of doin' bidness! Three hot meals and a roof over your head? FINE. But a citizen? Afraid for his life or his families life? Dude, that guy will kill you graveyard D-E-A-D and ain't NOBODY in this to get killed! If I think he's packin' I'm lookin' somewhere else!"

That is very nearly verbatim from the year 1986. I have never forgotten it. Hope you get some sleep. As soon as I hear the final totals from Iowa (Republican politics), I'm off to sleep as well.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; January 4th, 2012 at 01:05 AM. Reason: FORMAT
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links