WV Dept of Motor Vehicles accept Carry Permit as ID

This is a discussion on WV Dept of Motor Vehicles accept Carry Permit as ID within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I had to renew my WV Drivers License back in Sept. 2011 and needed additional identification. I really didn't want to go back home for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: WV Dept of Motor Vehicles accept Carry Permit as ID

I had to renew my WV Drivers License back in Sept. 2011 and needed additional identification. I really didn't want to go back home for it so I asked if my WV concealed carry permit would do. The lady said yes, I showed it to her and then got through the renewal process.

Well today, the DMV is changing things and they actually listed accepting a "weapons permit" as valid identification.

The downside is the DMV is posted, no firearms allowed inside, but ironically they accept the permit to do so.

West Virginia utility bills not more than 60 days old; tax records with a West Virginia street address; West Virginia mortgage documents, West Virginia homeowner insurance documents for a West Virginia residence or proof of West Virginia home ownership; West Virginia W-2 form not more than 18 months old; West Virginia weapons permit; valid West Virginia Motor Vehicles registration card; West Virginia driver's eligibility certificate (school enrollment form) if applicant is under age 18 with the applicant's West Virginia street address; West Virginia Homestead Tax exemption; Proof of West Virginia public assistance; Residential or lease agreement; West Virginia DMV affidavit of residency.
    DMV changing license requirements - The Herald Dispatch
    marcclarke likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Seems about right. It is a state provided Gub'mint photo ID. I've used mine in a similar situation but I would rather use the more regular forms of ID. I don't like to advertise. :)
    rstanek likes this.

Beats going home for your dog's license, or your kindergarden report card!
    l1a1 likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Beats going home for your dog's license, or your kindergarden report card!
    True. However I wouldn't have to go too far, I live in the "hood and can walk to the building where it is housed.

Your "dog license" thing reminded me of a Monty Python sketch about a "Fish License." John Cleeses' character trying to buy a "Fish License" for his pet Halibut named Eric.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I had to provide two forms of ID for a Microsoft certification test I was taking a while back and didn't know it. Gave them my DL and they asked for another. Only other thing I had was my CPL so I handed it over. Lady said "well I don't think I've ever had anyone give me one of these before", but she took it.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Well, the CCW permit is a gov't ID. I've used mine only once.
    An idiot cashier wanted a picture ID, and I said, "My picture is on my credit card!" He still needed another ID...so I said, "How about my CCW permit?" He had no more questions.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

When I needed two photo ID's to get my Texas drivers license I used my Maryland drivers license and my Florida non resident permit. When the DPS trooper saw it she immediately asked if I was going to get my Texas permit and told me how I could get it sooner than I thought.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I have never been able to successfully use my CHL as a secondary form of ID. The reason I always hear is that because it is issued by the state of Texas it is basically the same as a drivers license. So I can use the CHL in place of a drivers license, but not in addition to it. Usually when I have been asked for 2 IDs they usually want a state ID and a federal ID. So I typically have used my passport for the second ID.

However, I have used my CHL at times in place of a drivers license. My wife had to do so recently because she left her drivers license at home when she went to participate in this children's charity thing for Christmas. She called me up on the phone worried because when she arrived they required an ID and the CHL was all she had on her. She felt it would "look bad" being the type of thing she was there for. I told her to use it because it looks so much like a Texas driver's license, I doubt most people would notice the difference unless they examined it very carefully. A few years ago the CHL looked different from the driver's license. But now they changed the CHL and the drivers licenses to a new style and now both look almost identical.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

When I opened a post office box a couple years ago the postal employee asked for two forms of ID, so I used my drivers license and my pistol permit.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Its bern a secondary (i think) form here in ohio for awhile. I used it one time as id, i was picking up a pack of smokes for a friend and it was the first id i came upon. Clerk gets wide eyed and looks at my hip and sells them to me

--------------------------------------
    Sent from my Sprint Photon using Tapatalk
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I have never been able to successfully use my CHL as a secondary form of ID. The reason I always hear is that because it is issued by the state of Texas it is basically the same as a drivers license. So I can use the CHL in place of a drivers license, but not in addition to it. Usually when I have been asked for 2 IDs they usually want a state ID and a federal ID. So I typically have used my passport for the second ID.

However, I have used my CHL at times in place of a drivers license. My wife had to do so recently because she left her drivers license at home when she went to participate in this children's charity thing for Christmas. She called me up on the phone worried because when she arrived they required an ID and the CHL was all she had on her. She felt it would "look bad" being the type of thing she was there for. I told her to use it because it looks so much like a Texas driver's license, I doubt most people would notice the difference unless they examined it very carefully. A few years ago the CHL looked different from the driver's license. But now they changed the CHL and the drivers licenses to a new style and now both look almost identical.
    I've lived here in TX almost 40 years. Never ran into what you describe. I have had banks reject the CHL as ID for some purposes but I think that is because unlike the DL list, the CHL list is not made public. Just my guess. They may both be issued by the state, but they are really very different documents and the CHL is backed by a full set of prints which the DL is not.

What is absolutely crazy is the way some corporations (clerks, individuals working for them) make things up on the fly and other take their comments as if they were universal truths. Sometimes these folks do some odd things. In the above incident where they would not take the CHL as a form of ID, they were perfectly willing to take a AAA card which had no photo on it as a second form of ID.
    They would have probably taken a SAMS card. And I'd not be surprised if the clerk had no clue what a passport is.

P.S. Here you can also get (for 5 bucks I think, maybe for free if you are a senior) a State Issued ID that looks just like a DL but says "IDENTIFICATION" on it. It is worth the time and trouble of getting one.

You can use that for air travel so you don't risk losing a DL. You can keep it separartely so you have ID if the wallet with the DL gets stolen. If you request it (I have not) you can get your CHL keyed to the state ID instead of the DL.

Now folks, let's all think about what we can do to get back to being truly free-- to not needing a wallet full of ID. To being allowed to go about our business unmolested.

A DL is a license to drive. Let's get back to using it for that and that only.
    A CHL isn't even needed in some states, and should be used only for that purpose. Let's not turn that into something it was not intended to be.

In a free country the people don't need ID. You want to live like totalitarian Europe before and after WWII, you think that's a good idea, you and I fully disagree. In a free country-- and between two free democratic
    countries such as the US and Canada, the border used to be almost fully open. No passport card needed.

Please remember what we lost because of 9/11 and our overzealous panic attack about foreigners.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Here is just how STUPID the whole "Government ID" thing is: several years ago I had to renew my Missouri DL and needed proof of citizenship for the whole "Real ID" thing. Well I haven't had a physical SS card since I was a teen so I had to go get one; I used my about to expire DL as proof of identity to get my SS card which I then used as proof of ID to get my new DL

As a side note in line with the topic, to get into the federal building I had to show ID and empty pockets and remove belt to go through the metal detector, as the US Marshal handed me back my ID he gave the "stink eye", when I looked at it I realized I had handed him my Florida CCW (due to political BS when MO CCW started I got the Florida). I had had it out to show someone at work the Charles Bronson signature and had put it in front of my DL but it worked.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Here is just how STUPID the whole "Government ID" thing is: several years ago I had to renew my Missouri DL and needed proof of citizenship for the whole "Real ID" thing. Well I haven't had a physical SS card since I was a teen so I had to go get one; I used my about to expire DL as proof of identity to get my SS card which I then used as proof of ID to get my new DL

As a side note in line with the topic, to get into the federal building I had to show ID and empty pockets and remove belt to go through the metal detector, as the US Marshal handed me back my ID he gave the "stink eye", when I looked at it I realized I had handed him my Florida CCW (due to political BS when MO CCW started I got the Florida). I had had it out to show someone at work the Charles Bronson signature and had put it in front of my DL but it worked.
    The part in bold is interesting. Because, even now when you apply for a SS card the Agency refuses to take a US Passport and insists that you present a birth certificate or a baptismal certificate. You need a birth certificate when you apply for your Soc. Sec. and Medicare. Passport won't do. Not only that, but they want these things under circumstances in which they already have them on file and on record.

Your experience probably varies by what clerk you get, but it shouldn't be that way. You are lucky you didn't end up in a situation where you had an expired DL and no birth certificate. Then you'd be told you can't get the DL without the birth certificate and you can't get the birth certificate without the DL, and we won't pay attention to you passport or military discharge papers; so you sir, are a non-person.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I had to get a replacement library card a few months ago. My DL has my POB on it so the clerk ask If I have anything with a picture ID.

Sure, here.
    Whats this?
    Oh my license to carry a firearm.
    Really, Never saw one. Ok here you go.
    JoJoGunn likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    I had to get a replacement library card a few months ago. My DL has my POB on it so the clerk ask If I have anything with a picture ID.

Sure, here.
    Whats this?
    Oh my license to carry a firearm.

Really, Never saw one. Ok here you go.
    Lucky you weren't a Man with a Gun call. Is "luhng aiseland" really part of NY?
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links