My Security Guard Rant

This is a discussion on My Security Guard Rant within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have read several people disparage "security guards". There is some stereotyping going on here, and while stereotypes are sometimes accurate, they are often incorrect. ...

Thread: My Security Guard Rant

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

My Security Guard Rant

I have read several people disparage "security guards". There is some stereotyping going on here, and while stereotypes are sometimes accurate, they are often incorrect.

I worked as a Security Officer for several years in the Hampton Roads (South East) area of Virginia, so I have a certain insight into this topic. Now I'm not going to talk about Blackwater types, just your run of the mill dude who is working at a construction site, retail establishment, commercial venture, etc.

On any given night, there are many more SOs working in America than there are LEOs, yet they account for less shootings than LEOs. Not exactly trigger happy.

SOs get NO RESPECT from anyone. Not BGs, not GGs, not LEOs. Many people will cooperate with SOs, but not many have respect in their hearts.

SOs make diddly squat money compared to LEOs, yet they perform a very similar job function.

Some LEOs moonlight as SOs. They usually make 3 or 4 TIMES the money as a SO, on a part time job, as the SO is making on his full time job. LEOs working as SOs use their LEO uniform, gun, car, training, arrest powers, and, most importantly, radio with unlimited backup. SOs have to PAY for all these in most cases, and calling for backup requires using a telephone and being treated like any other caller.

To add insult to injury, the SO's payroll taxes subsidize the LEO's perks. The LEO in many cases takes his money under the table, thus avoiding taxes.

The few perks I enjoyed were: Some LEOs would tell me which CB channel they monitored, if I needed help; one of the courts I attended would allow me to present my cases after the midnight LEOs were done, allowing me to get a little more sleep before going back on the job; the occasional food discount.

After 5 years as a SO, and really, loving the job, I had to get out of the business because as a Sergeant, I was getting nowhere. SO jobs are not conducive to wealth.

Yes, there were a few "YEE HAHs", but by and large, the people I worked with were decent, hardworking individuals who knew how to do their jobs. They took lots of verbal and physical abuse. Some were on their way to an LEO career, others were not. Personally, my uncorrected eyesight kept me from being an LEO.

In short, Security Officers are no different from the vast majority of people here, and really deserve more consideratrion.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Hit the nail right on the head!
    Be Safe and Careful,
    Corbett

Mountaineers Are Always Free

Lead Moderator
    Good points, however LEO's deal with more action, violence and many more situations than most SO's. I know I don't wear body armor for my current job, as I rate the risk much lower of needing it(as well as it giving away my job. )
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    It's very true - SO's do get lambasted way more than is fair.

I think the problem comes from (as ever), as in any profession, the few extremes or even bad apples get used to parody the whole deal.

We do have to be careful not to paint with too broad of a brush - tho it always will tend to occur, often in fact in true jest and no wish to be cruel.

It is worth folks remembering however that the majority are stand up guys doing a job of work - and sometimes putting themselves at risk too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I think most people encounter mostly the idiot SOs. I believe that has to do with the low pay. Let's face it, $7 per hour, a stupid uniform complete with smokey hat, radio, and garrison belt minus firearm is not going to attract much above the gene pool's lowest common denominator in most cases. Exceptions being what they are, the career does sort of lend itself to little or no respect for the most part.

When you say SO, most people picture the guy in the stupid uniform at the mall speaking code into his radio while pretending to be an LEO.

I'm not excusing treating people poorly. I am merely suggesting a possible answer to the question of why SOs get no respect. I operate under the golden rule.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

VIP Member
    Well said.

((Even though I still enjoy the movie "Armed and Dangerous" with John Candy))
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

That is the job I have now.I worked in a chemical plant in houston,tx for 28 years and 5 days after I turned 62,I was laid off.Happy birthday jones.I searched for work in the same field for over 3 months.Guess what,every one said well,we were looking for someone a little younger or I was overqualified for that job,meaning they didn't want to pay me what I was making before.Well,I had to swallow my pride and take a job I didn't really want at a pay scale a lot lower than I was making before.I do the best job I can do at a lot lower pay scale.I was also in the services a lot of years before,so I feel I've given a lot to this country.When You reach a certain age no one wants to hire you any more even though I'm still in real good condition and no health problems.I get upset when people talk about so's like we are all worn out old dummies,don't be putting us all down until you walk in our shoes for awhile. sj

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    That is the job I have now.I worked in a chemical plant in houston,tx for 28 years and 5 days after I turned 62,I was laid off.Happy birthday jones.I searched for work in the same field for over 3 months.Guess what,every one said well,we were looking for someone a little younger or I was overqualified for that job,meaning they didn't want to pay me what I was making before.Well,I had to swallow my pride and take a job I didn't really want at a pay scale a lot lower than I was making before.I do the best job I can do at a lot lower pay scale.I was also in the services a lot of years before,so I feel I've given a lot to this country.When You reach a certain age no one wants to hire you any more even though I'm still in real good condition and no health problems.I get upset when people talk about so's like we are all worn out old dummies,don't be putting us all down until you walk in our shoes for awhile. sj
    My grandfather had a similar experience. He worked as an SO for a number of years after being forced to retire.

If somebody tells you they were "looking for someone younger" I suggest hiring a lawyer. At your age, you are in a protected class and a potential employer admitting that to you would be grounds for an age discrimination lawsuit.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

now i would have to admit that a lot of SO's are pretty good but like every other profession you get that one or two that give the rest a bad name and unfortunately in the SO field there are a lot more than one or two....lol. I mean i have seen the 19yoa kid that is a little too gung-ho and that old guy that is as big around as the barrel of his gun and doesnt look like he could hold it up let alone fire it! but i have also seen a lot of good ones. Just remember this happens with EVERY profession. I try to do a case by case assesment and that normally takes a few seconds depending on how they carry themselves and act. Normally pretty accurate too! dont feel bad i am the life line of the LEO's and a lot of people just see me as a dispatcher...a lot of the time they think i am their personal assistant. They are thankful when i get them the help they need fast or the info that could have otherwise made an ugly situation. trust me your not alone on this one.

Paramedic70002, Thank you for that statement!!! 100% corect IMHO. Although, I do get some respect from afew GG's. I mostly work in what I call "security 90210". Being 29, and looking 22 has huge advantages.

I think the problem comes from (as ever), as in any profession, the few extremes or even bad apples get used to parody the whole deal.
    Thats also true Chris. People like that boil me . I see a doofus wearing a uniforn lookin like crap goofing off, I feel like smaking the crap out of him/her! That majority does make the steriotype.

I also make abit more than $700 per hour. If I move to more south I might be able to double what I make.

I've worked in the security business for the past 5 years or so. Different companies, different job descriptions, armed and unarmed. In that time I've encountered a few people who were actually professionals that knew, and were good at their jobs. Unfortunately, the majority of the SO's with whom I've come into contact have been royal idiots (there's one company in my area that, I'm convinced, won't hire you unless you're a complete moron).

I think one of the biggest problems is the fact that most companies don't understand what security is. They're not willing to pay for the services of professionals, they just want the break on their insurance that comes from saying they have "security." As a result, they are content to hire some contract company that pays it's guys/gals $7.00 an hour to stand around in a dumb uniform.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Security Officer gives life trying to protect LEO

"Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I just dont have any words to explain my feelings.

Links