Certified organic farm

Certified organic farm

This is a discussion on Certified organic farm within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; OK so when God does something he does it all the way. 1st we never thought we'd ever be able to buy this farm and ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Hopyard
  • 2 Post By IronMike
  • 1 Post By BigFish
  • 2 Post By archer51

Thread: Certified organic farm

VIP Member

Certified organic farm

OK so when God does something he does it all the way.

1st we never thought we'd ever be able to buy this farm and now it looks like it's going to happen.

Next my wife just came home from a birthday party and she just met a lady who happens to live down the street from our, soon to be, new place. She has a degree in organic farming and told my wife that they are looking for someplace to start growing crops for local restaurants. She told the spouse that profits can be as high as 50K per acre and the market here is very hot for organic produce. I'm sure that number isn't all that realistic but even if it's 50% of her number we would be ecstatic.

I don't ever want to count the chickens before they hatch but it looks like God is lining up some big things for us already.

Does anyone on here do any organic farming? How do you get your property certified organic?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Sound to me like you want to cut a deal with the lady and rent her some acres on which to do the farming. You don't have to work, you get income, if the crop fails its not your problem. Marketing and certification aren't your problem either.

50K an acre sounds outlandish unless its pot; just my guess and I suppose I could be wrong.
    On second thought, don't let the lady on your property.

Seriously, I'm sure someone who knows will jump in to better advise you on that issue.

I've got friends in the cattle business. I know its different from crop farming but they sure aren't turning anywhere near 1/100th of what you are talking about. If they are, we sure can't tell.

A bit off topic but related, take a look at this url ERS/USDA Briefing Room - Farm Income and Costs: 2011 Farm Sector Income Forecast

Go to the bottom where you will see a chart titled: "Importance of Government Payments to Net Cash Farm Income 2010."

After looking at the chart I highly doubt the 50K per acre line.

And for my fellow Texans who oppose government "giveaways," take a really really good hard look at that chart.
    Truly astounding actually.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Tim, I just did a little quick research: Corn tops crop budget comparisons | content from Southeast Farm Press

Income per acre for ordinary crops appears to be a tiny fraction of what you were told you could get. If organic prices were that much higher than standard, everyone would be doing it. Heck, I'd buy 2 acres in the boonies and plant it by hand for that kind of return. (Of course the armed guards would eat into the profits or steal the crop.)

Good luck though. A small farm that size is a great place to live and to raise your kids. Even if you don't get rich, you are going to come out ahead for doing this. Land is a great long term investment if you can beat the property tax man with an Ag exemption or "undeveloped" designation.
    thephanatik likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I'm smellin' me some refer...
    Hopyard and thephanatik like this.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

After you have done the research and study, and after you understand what "Organic and Certified Organic" mean, if you can qualify, and if it is legit, a sharecrop or crop lease to the granola gal sounds like the best - very little downside (except opportunity costs) and work-free upside if it pays off. Talk to the County Extension Agents, USDA folks on both - crop leases and sharecropping or whatever they call them in your next of the woods. Local vernacular. The theory is you get XX% of the crop proceeds for allowing the sharecropper to use your land. You make no investment except the land - no seed - no fertilizer - no work.

I got no clue on "Certified Organic" if there even is such a thing. Just sounded good. Our Community Supported Agriculture ("CSA") (Grant's Family Farm) has been organic for 30+ years - pesticide free, hydrocarbon based fertilizer free - etc.

Here's a good start: Organic Certification | USDA

If you have an Organic market...local resturants..farmers market and you staff it.. alot of people see organic and walk away cause its more money..I do...
    I know there is a market for good quality organic in the resturant trade, my daughter does this locally, and we have established "farmers" markets in most citys in Puget Sound...do you see a bizness plan in your future ??..good luck, eather way, good news

VIP Member
    Good luck, I hope it works out. Organic farming is not my forte', but do plenty of research and be careful.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Wish you the best, if you do make anywhere near the predicted profit, we'll have a really nice first DC reunion!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

To be certified organic takes several years of organic farming management and documentation, so you don't get the benefits of certification for a while. Even then, I think those figures seem high. Perhaps she was referring to gross profits, not net income. There is a higher profit margin on organic products, but I've yet to hear of any organic farmers striking it rich.

That being said, it might be still worth your while to rent out acreage you won't use. Just be mindful that you will need to follow organic practices on nearby land as well to meet USDA organic standards for the commercial side if you decide to farm some of it yourself for personal use.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

VIP Member
    So are you going to build an Organic Shooting Range?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    So are you going to build an Organic Shooting Range?
    Bet that changes the whole organic thing. Imagine a nice organic farm with lead content through the roof. So it is either Organics or lots of shooting. I vote shooting and hunting those deer you know are there. Put some organic hot sauce on the meat. Thats the best of both worlds...
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Administrator
    I don't know a thing about organic farming but, it IS a very good time to own some land that can be farmed to raise your own food if the poop hits the fan.

VIP Member
    There is a rod and gun club about 3/4 of a mile from the (soon to be) new house so I don't really need to worry about a range. I will be able to just hop on the 4 wheeler and scoot on over to it.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Organic stuff is awesome. That's half the stuff I eat. Watch out though. If you go back to junk food you will feel very sick.

We have two organic groceries within a mile of my apartment. It is certainly getting popular. Most people I know are buying the stuff. We are trying to move away from the corn syrups and other weird chemicals. I cannot imagine the market is that much different 1.5 away. I say you picked a good time for it.

Good luck with this venture.

PS- build a range.

If you go back to junk food you will feel very sick
    Yep

Links