New GPS program “Avoid Ghetto”

This is a discussion on New GPS program “Avoid Ghetto” within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just heard about this on the news today, I wonder how long it will last before certain groups demand it be banned. Microsoft "avoid ghetto" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New GPS program “Avoid Ghetto”

VIP Member

New GPS program “Avoid Ghetto”

Just heard about this on the news today, I wonder how long it will last before certain groups demand it be banned.

Microsoft "avoid ghetto" patent sparks controversy

(CBS) - Controversy over a new Microsoft patent has people questioning whether or not the intention has racist undertones.

CNET reported that Microsoft has been granted a U.S. patent that will steer pedestrians away from areas that are high in crime.

"As a pedestrian travels, various difficulties can be encountered, such as traveling through an unsafe neighborhood or being in an open area that is subject to harsh temperatures," Microsoft stated in their patent claims. "A route can be developed for a person taking into account factors that specifically affect a pedestrian. Moreover, the route can alter as a situation of a user changes; for instance, if a user wants to add a stop along a route."

It's been coined the "avoid ghetto" GPS patent, but its purpose is a bit more complex.

What the technology actually does is collects and analyzes data to give the users the best possible route home. According to Microsoft's claims, your Windows 7 smartphone would gather "information related to pedestrian travel include maps (e.g., extracted from a database), user history, weather information, crime statistics, demographic information."

Microsoft "avoid ghetto" patent sparks controversy - Tech Talk - CBS News
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm surprised no one came up with an app for that long ago. I hate it when I'm in an unfamiliar city or area and don't know if I'm headed to an area where it isn't too smart to be.

And its not just the big cities. There are a few sub-urban and even rural "towns" here and there where some extra caution is needed.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

You have arrived! Oh, damn!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I heard that too.
    I don't think it's going to be called "Avoid Ghetto" but everyone knows what it means.
    There are some towns in the coal mining areas of Kentucky and W. Virginia I'd avoid too.
    You know, banjos playing. I'm just sayin'
    But can we be real? Is there anyone proud of their ghetto?
    Are you saying the ghettos don't really have a high crime rate, and you're being misunderstood?
    If you're offended, then YOU should avoid the ghetto too.

I didn't think my GPS could get much better, but now I see it can.

"You have arrived, now gimmie yo' wallet."
    GlockZombie likes this.

Gee... I wonder what demographics constitute a "ghetto"?

I have a feeling that it is related to the signal strength of the nearest hip hop station.

Awesome, I've done a lot of traveling with and without gps and both ways have put me in areas where my gun was in my lap...if you're offended by the avoid the ghetto app, get a life cry baby
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

Isn't that a racist app? How are the ghettoites going to do their drug sales, carjackings and prostitution rings if this allowed to happen?? I expect Rev Al to be raising cane about it. Seriously, I think it's a very good option.

VIP Member
    The title "avoid the ghetto" is inappropriate and derogatory, but an app which displays high crime areas, and other indications of
    places one should avoid could be quite useful.

I don't want to get into specifics, but a few years back I was trying to find my way to the back end of a very large lake. I had a GPS that was taking me through the shortest route. Well, part of the route was down a dirt road out in the extreme boonies, and on that dirt road at one point there were a bunch of "shacks" with very"interesting" looking people milling about the middle of the dirt road in front of their shacks. For all the rural nature and isolation of the location, it had the same feel as driving down
    the worst street in a big city and suddenly being surrounded.

Nothing bad happened, but going 2 miles an hour through a street full of really hostile looking people none of whom seemed to want to move out of the roadway was more excitement than I had wanted.

So, yes, an app for that is something that could be quite useful.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

You can bet some people will be offended by this. But I think it is great. My friend and I accidentally drove through the ghetto a few months ago at midnight in Ft.Worth. There were gangs loitering around, police tape on doors of apartments, etc. I wanted out of there immediately. The only reason we were even there is we took the wrong exit on the highway and were trying to find our way back to the highway. So I'm not sure if the app would have helped in this situation or not.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

CNET reported that Microsoft has been granted a U.S. patent that will steer pedestrians away from areas that are high in crime.
    How is it racist if it is not based on race?

Michael
    Bullet1234 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    best route to avoid traffic

best route to avoid high crime

locations of politicians homes...

my but how the face of reality has been given a face lift by gps, google earth,cell phones and
    real time information unfiltered by political rhetoric.

if the politicians do not come up with a way to fiter the internet soon,
    they may be looking for other jobs.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

GPS?
    Mmmmm...
    When you start to see bars on all the store fronts, do NOT stop to ask for directions, just get back on the X-way.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ever seen "Judgement Night"? Sounds like they could have used this feature.
    Judgment Night Trailer - IMDb

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    best route to avoid high crime........
    If they did that then no one would visit Congress or Wall Street!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links