DNA spray, who needs a gun?

This is a discussion on DNA spray, who needs a gun? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; DNA McSpray to foil thieves - McDonalds to use new anti-theft spray | News.com.au McDONALD'S restaurants are fighting back against thieves by blasting suspected robbers ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By QKShooter
  • 2 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 1 Post By atctimmy
  • 1 Post By chiefjason
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: DNA spray, who needs a gun?

DNA McSpray to foil thieves - McDonalds to use new anti-theft spray | News.com.au

McDONALD'S restaurants are fighting back against thieves by blasting suspected robbers with an invisible DNA spray as they attempt to flee.
    The spray, which remains on the suspect's skin for two weeks and on clothes for up to six months, has been introduced in some of the chain's busiest NSW stores, including those at Parramatta, Granville, Auburn, Lidcome, Kingsford and Wollongong, reported The Daily Telegraph.
    If the SelectaDNA "forensic marking" spray proves successful in apprehending bandits, McDonald's will introduce the system across all its 780 Australian outlets.
    Developed in the United Kingdom by a police officer and a chemist, the spray has been used by McDonald's outlets in Britain and Europe.
    Each outlet keeps the details of its distribution a close secret, but one McDonald's restaurant in The Netherlands installed above the main door an orange device which was electronically linked to a panic alarm system. Staff could activate the device in an emergency.
    "Once there has been a security breach, the hi-tech spray unit will douse fleeing robbers with an invisible, synthetic DNA solution," McDonald's Australia's chief restaurant support officer, Jackie McArthur, said.
    "The solution is invisible to the naked eye and unique to each location. It stays on clothing for up to six months and on skin for up to two weeks."
    Using a UVA light, police can see the markings left by the system and link the offender back to the scene.
    The spray contains a synthetic DNA strand composed of 60 variable chromosomes, said SelectaDNA director David Morrissey.
    "SelectaDNA is non-toxic, non-allergenic and perfectly safe to deploy. It meets all Australian standards," he said.
    Theft is a serious problem for fast-food outlets such as McDonald's, which has high cash turnover, multiple entry and exit points and more than 85,000 staff who often work through the night at truck-stops and other remote places.
    In a single week in September, two hold-ups occurred at a McDonald's outlet at Merrylands in Sydney's west.
    "Crime can occur anywhere at any time, which is why our extensive safety and security protocols are in place at every restaurant throughout the entire day," Ms McArthur said.
    "These locations are some of our busiest, so it makes sense to try out the new technology here.
    "McDonald's already has a range of security measures, including CCTV, strict security protocols, intensive training, and consultative working relationships with local police."
    This is the first time the system will be used in Australia, and although its marketers claim an "85 per cent crime reduction" rate, the proof of its worth is not yet clear.
    SelectaDNA trades on a "DNA fear factor," claiming the system is more about prevention than arrests.
    Scores of law-enforcement agencies in the UK, including Surrey Police, have handed out the spray kits so residents can mark their property, and it has been widely used by schools and businesses.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/business/dna-...#ixzz1j1BgY3N9

Administrator
    Interesting.

My handgun can spray a lot of Colt Signature "bad guy" DNA all over the place.

Ok, but if they shoot you during the robbery, they might get caught. I'd rather be able to defend myself, and they wouldn't need their spray.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

All they are going to find are dirtbags with spray from many stores...big deal.
    Spray 'em with lead and you don't have to match them up with anything.
    Rock and Glock and Azchief like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Synthetic DNA spray? That just sounds disgusting...

How do you think the average perpetrator will respond to being showered with any spray?
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Senior Moderator
    STOP or I'll you shoot you with my DNA!

awwww man thats gross, dont shoot....I give up!
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    So all it would prove is that a BG was there. It doesn't do anything a camera wouldn't do. What about others standing nearby who get marked with DNA spray and then break out in hives?
    phreddy likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I'd prefer to fight fire with fire not some invisible spray...coulda saved alot of money and just bought a nice shotgun spray em with buckshot and you'll see it with the naked eye...synthetic DNA really
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

What are the cops going to do, drive around with a little light and arrest the people that glow? Otherwise they still have to catch the perp to prove he was there.
    atctimmy likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I swear to god if somebody tries to spray me with DNA ima gonna shoot him in his dispenser
    RevolvingMag likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

took a lesson from a ........SKUNK
    Last edited by CaptSmith; January 10th, 2012 at 05:14 AM. Reason: spell....

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    The problem with any restaurant, not just McDonald's is how many invisible DNA samples are on your food when you get it?

Injest and bam!.... yer next kid has a tail.

Why spray and pray with DNA?

Throwing McDonald's food at the crook is punishment enough.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    STOP or I'll you shoot you with my DNA!

awwww man thats gross, dont shoot....I give up!
    Sounds like something pee wee herman would do...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Sponsored Links