SHTF food supplies?

This is a discussion on SHTF food supplies? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok...what do you or would you have supplied and approx. how much of each item? Not talking MRE's or any freeze dried foods or any ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: SHTF food supplies?

SHTF food supplies?

Ok...what do you or would you have supplied and approx. how much of each item?

Not talking MRE's or any freeze dried foods or any specially sealed 5 gl containers of rice. Let's say you're buying everything from your local food store. What would you stock up on and how would you store your rice, flour, sugar..etc

1. case of water/gallons of water (they sit on store shelfs for months so no extra prep needed?)
    2. cans chili, soups, vegetables, fruits, beans
    3. dried beans
    4. rice
    5. flour, sugar, salt, peper, spices, ....others?
    6. packet gravy mixes that just require water added

What other essential...long shelf life items?

Other than food:
    1. TP
    2. soap, shampoo
    3. med supplies
    4. medicines (over the counter and orescription)
    5. vitamins

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    sounds like you are going to stay in place.

id walk through my house and look in every draw and cabinate...multiple what i see by 90 days per person.
    don't forget the dog and ask your doc for a antibiotic script and fill it to have just in case.

propane grill and lots of them 2 pound bottles.
    small back-up generator and stabilized fuel. propane is even better as it can run off of the houses natural gas ( till that source ceases)

a boy scouts hand book for sure.

items for barter; liquor, cigarettes, ammo, small bullion even.

problem that is hard to solve, depending on how far you are from a city with a 'inner'district is--3 days or so after the trucks stop bring food to them,
    the city people will start going afield to find what they need. how are you going to go unnoticed by them?
    or defend against them?
    9MMare and JerryMac like this.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

In an apocalyptic (Nuke, meteor strike or the like=total devastation ala The Road) event, knowledge is key. Food from the wild, coffee from dandelions, water purification, etc.

But, if I had to store prepared foodstuffs for a period of time, I'd look to the Mormons (LDS church) and see how they do it... A stout member of the LDS Church will have a year's supply of food.

For the rest of us, a few months worth should get us by... That's easy enough to do... and rotate your stock. Truth be told, with the exception of bachelors who have NOTHING in the fridge but a six pack and week old pizza box (empty). Most of us have enough food around to last quite a long time... but we never use the canned succotash, or the stewed 'maters or the other stuff in the back of the cupboard, or that mystery frozen chunk in the freezer.
    JerryMac likes this.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

I try to keep 3 weeks of food. I buy a lot of shelf-stable foods from the grocery stores. I thought for a long time about MRE's and whatnot. But they are just too expensive and I can usually get similar foods from the grocery store and a fraction of the price. True, the shelf-life isn't as long but I can afford to rotate it out being the cheaper cost.

These Hormel Compleats are a large portion of my "MRE" substitute. They are shelf stable (do not require refrigeration) and are good for a couple of years. They come in all kinds of different flavors and only cost $1.98 a piece. Besides, at least I know I like to eat them. I usually eat one or two of these per week, so they get rotated out naturally.
    Some other good things I keep around:
    • Fruit cups. Little plastic cups with a single serving of fruit, such as mandarin oranges.
    • Soups
    • Hamburger Helper single-packs. All you need is to mix them with water, boil, and eat. Just like many of the camping foods.
    • 16-oz bottles of water. I prefer those over the gallon jugs for many reasons. Primarily because we use them and cycle through them.
    • Single serving juice drinks, such as orange and cranberry. Better than a big jug because you can open only what you need to drink right at the moment, leaving the rest sealed and shelf-stable.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Administrator
    I've explored and thought about this a lot. The major thing that I've concluded is to have a renewable source of food, such as a garden and some live stock.

Now, I understand the "live stock" can be a scary term, but it really can be simple and easy to do in a typical suburban yard. I'm looking at raising quail, for three reasons A) for dog training B) for eggs C)SHTF meat. I do have friends who raise rabbits and or chickens, but they do take more room and care. Chickens also have the stigma of being "farm" animals, and are more likely to raise the neighbors eyebrows. Most people that I know who do this only keep a few now, but have the ability to breed more and build up their stock while they eat the off the shelf rations.

For gardening, I like the idea of canning the excess yields. Its relatively cheap, but you must be very careful and make darn sure you know what you are doing. My issue is my wife. She is a medical type, so the thought of eating something that might be several months or even years old scares the crap out of her.

For the short term, I do always toss in extra can goods at the store. It ticks her off, but oh well. For example, if we need some canned green beans, I'll buy four cans instead of the one. I'll also keep an eye out for sales. A lot of times, especially after thanksgiving, stores will run sales to get rid of the excess inventory left over. You can score pretty well there.

The warehouse stores like Sams and Costco can give you good results too. The only problem is, they really are not any cheaper unless you are buying in bulk containers.... and that can be problematic for emergency rations. You must think ahead for storage once you crack open the ten gallons of beans and weenies.

Freezer, again, be careful with that. Power goes out and you have a day or two at most to get through a trunk full of meat. I do keep a small chest freezer with meat I buy in bulk from the local butcher, but I don't really think of it for SHTF food. Perhaps I should come up with a way to preserve the meat once it thaws.
    "Just blame Sixto"

A dehydrator for meats, or a pressure cooker and bottle it like in old days.
    ErnieNWillis likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    A dehydrator for meats, or a pressure cooker and bottle it like in old days.
    I bottle chicken all the time. Great way to extend food supply without worrying about the freezer. It's also cheaper too because I wait for a sale on frozen chicken.
    JerryMac likes this.
    Nevada CFP
    Utah CFP

I have only a small maybe a months supply of food. At the beginning of each winter I stock up on canned stews and soups. Dried noodles, beans, rice and items like that. I was without electric for a couple weeks a few years back and this policy worked well for me.
    I do make sure that I use up these items before the next winter so that my stockpile is never more than a year old.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Snicker bars for me. Protein, Fat and carbs. A low glycemic food as well. A few boxes of baking soda to brush teeth with.

An maybe some rice and stuff.
    IAm_Not_Lost likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Yeah, TP, medicine ect but if your question is primarily about food. And I will not be long winded but simply direct you here:Costco - Your search for "emergency food" produced 53 results.

The "Food for Health" is quite good and the Shelf Reliance "Thrive" also. Save the MRE's for backpacking or the bug out bag, if you are going to stay in place and bulk store and want long shelf life , then check above and wait for the sales' price. Just my opinion YOURS will vary.
    JerryMac likes this.
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Most of the stuff you find in the "inside" aisles of a food store will last for quite some time, and with the nations current craving for things that are easy to make exc exc it's getting easier to find more variety in things that have a long shelf life. Not to sound gross, but dog food (dry food) is a simple, cheap, and practical food stuff that will supply you with just about everything you need nutrition wise. I know it sounds weird, but hey, it's balanced and it's better than nothing.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post
    Other than food:
    1. TP
    2. soap, shampoo
    Just to contribute to these things... remember how they done it in the good ol' days... Things like TP, Paper towels, sanitary napkins for the ladies, etc, were usually cloth. Now, if you want to get a couple months worth of supply of TP/paper towels/sanitary napkins, good for you. But if you run out you should have a back up plan.

Those of us who have cloth diapered by choice have learned the pros and cons of cleaning poop out of cloth and reusing it. I made all my own baby wipes too.

An old t-shirt or two or three cut into squares works nicely for wiping.. knowing that cold water and sunlight take out a majority of poop stains also helps out.

But to keep the chance of diseases, etc from spreading through the home you will also have to make sure you clean those sanitary items very well....

Bleach will be your friend! Get gallons of it and remember that less is more. Bleach is potent stuff and you only need a little bit. It would also be a good idea to learn how to make your own soap or soap alternatives in case your supply runs out.

Fels naptha soap at WalMart is only .99 cents a bar, lasts forever, takes out almost ANY stain and when shaved with a simple cheese grater its shavings can also be used as laundry detergent when melted in warm water. I clean out the WalMart shelves of their Fels Naptha almost every time I go to the cleaning aisle. Unfortunately they usually only have a bar or two.

Sanitation in a SHTF scenario is going to be a HUGE issue because so many people have absolutely no idea how to clean themselves and their clothes when the hand sanitizer, shampoo and laundry detergent run out and water is low especially when people are forced to start cloth diapering, using cloth sanitary pads for the female's monthly and cloth for wiping their butts.

Totinos and an Easy Bake oven.

Sent using Tapatalk, thanks for supporting it on this site.

With the squirrel population around my house, I'll probably eat squirrel stew until I get tired of it or run out of squirrels.
    NYCrulesU likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Shelf reliant Thrive food stuff for Me and the family,about a three month supply(at full cal. intake) at the moment,also have a indoor pool for long term water,fuel for the gennyand lead lots of lead.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links