Random gun-related thought of the day...

This is a discussion on Random gun-related thought of the day... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; When the perp's family wails about the injustice of having their dearly departed relative "shot down like a dog in the street" by a lawfully ...

Like Tree15Likes
  • 4 Post By paramedic70002
  • 1 Post By JoJoGunn
  • 1 Post By l1a1
  • 3 Post By adric22
  • 2 Post By mlr1m
  • 3 Post By shockwave
  • 1 Post By JoJoGunn

Thread: Random gun-related thought of the day...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

When the perp's family wails about the injustice of having their dearly departed relative "shot down like a dog in the street" by a lawfully armed victim/defender, they nearly universally will say, "He was turning his life around."

Obviously armed robbery, or whatever crime is being committed, was part of his turn-around, so I suggest that...

IT WAS A WRONG TURN INTO A DEAD END.

I think I'm going to start using that one in the reader comments section, every time I find such stupidity in the news. Don't get me wrong, I'm not unsympathetic to a grieving mother, etc. but really, just SHUT UP if that's the best you got. Stupidity must be fought!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Nice "thought", but with the excuse mentality of people today, it would basically fall upon deaf ears.

Nobody cherishes the thought of their loved one doing wrong, but they cannot or will not tolerate the idea that their loved one was wrong in their attitude towards right and wrong. They will still be convinced that it was never the perp's fault they got blown away in the commission of a crime. It just can't be their fault, something else had to be making them do wrong things. It's also called denial.

Until their attitudes change about criminal activity, they will continue down the excuse trail unabated.
    Medic218 likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I heard a distraught mother years ago who uttered the following, "I know my boy pointed a loaded gun at the police, but he wasn't going to shoot nobody." The police responded appropriately and it turns out she was right. After being the recipient of good shot placement, he indeed wasn't going to shoot nobody.

Don't get me started on the media and how they keep stirring up the pot. The grieving mother is probably the last place you can expect to hear an objective quote concerning the situation.
    Medic218 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by l1a1 View Post
    I heard a distraught mother years ago who uttered the following, "I know my boy pointed a loaded gun at the police, but he wasn't going to shoot nobody."
    Well, technically since he wasn't going to shoot "nobody" then that means WAS going to shoot "somebody."
    JerryMac, Medic218 and SIXTO like this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I have a problem when someone claims that a person used to much force. That the attackers were only going to mess him up a bit and did not deserve to be killed for that.

Michael
    Medic218 and Dadsnugun like this.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Ah, another random gun-related thought. I'm on a roll today.

To use the anti-gunners militia logic against them:

Do you really think the Colonial militia waited at home for the British to come knocking?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Well, I mean, he was going to use the proceeds from his new business venture to finance his bright future.

OR, He just moved up to armed robbery from burglary, and was going to use the money he stole from you to buy drugs and lotto scratch-offs.

Its all in the eye of the beholder I guess
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

My thoughts exactly

As much as we'd like to believe that criminals are walking bags of dirt that should be put down for the good of humanity - and in many cases that appears to be the only appropriate policy - not all perpetrators are created equal.

This comment is not about how we should feel sympathy for such persons. It is about remembering that the threat you shoot may very likely be somebody's son, a father, a person with a support network of family and friends. In the aftermath of a successful defense against said dirtbag, you may have to deal with them.

For some of us, this has been a serious problem. Whether through litigation or threats of physical retaliation, the people attached to the scumbag can indeed be a secondary threat that has to be managed. Real life isn't a Hollywood movie, where the bad guys fall down and are magically removed without consequences.
    l1a1, JerryMac and QKShooter like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Shockwave,

That may be very true. At one time, they were a son, father, good kid yada yada. That essentially died when they chose to live a lifestyle of crime.

Nobody wants to harm another human, give us some credit. I didn't wake up today hoping to shoot some "dirtbag" for the good of society. It happens and those who wish to somehow excuse the dead person for their actions is really what it is all about.

It is about the denial of the families and friends of this person. They choose, they lose. To make the person forced to shoot and kill someone who could probably care even less about the life of their victim feel they have somehow harmed an entire family is not accurate. Yes, a human being lost their life, but there are consequences to all actions and death can be one of those. It's true and unless that attitude about coming into crime changes, more death will result. It doesn't change society, it only removes that person who is unwilling to change.

You are right about the person forced to kill. The consequences will be hatred and there may be further violence from the dead criminal's family. They are capable of revenge because they cannot come to terms with the fact their loved one has done wrong. In their eyes, that cannot happen and they feel the shooter had no right to defend themselves or take the life of said loved one. A retired Episcopalian Priest at my church once said, "It's not right or wrong, it is just how it is."

I used to feel sympathy but anymore the actions of violent criminals and how they choose to ply the trade has hardend my heart. The shoe fits just as easily on the other foot. Their violent criminal actions have hurt another human by forcing that person to go to the extreme.

The only answer is for people to stop choosing criminal lifestyles.
    l1a1 likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Links