I turned my police scanner on

This is a discussion on I turned my police scanner on within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I haven't whipped out the scanner in years, I actually don't even know where I put it....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I turned my police scanner on

I haven't whipped out the scanner in years, I actually don't even know where I put it.

2. Remove Ads

I live by the scanner. It gets waaay more airplay then the so-called "nightly news." I find comfort in knowing what's going on in my immediate vicinity.

Down in Atlanta its assault w/deadly weapon, robbery, and burglary at every call, I kid you not. Just left the city for the suburbs six months ago and old habits die hard. Never a dull moment when listening to Atlanta PD. Roswell by comparison is much more pedestrian but as is true for many areas, it does have a seedy section. As is said, the price of freedom is eternal vigilance and I'm always listening. Door kickers are moving out to the burbs where the rewards are larger and the victims that believe in their safe neighborhood are easy to come by.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Whatcha got? Motorlla radio with freq's and PL's?
    Yes. The key is the keys. I have everything the operates in my area programmed into my radio, including encrypted and trunks. It took a few years to need them, gain the trust needed to collect them etc, but I have them. Honestly, its a PIA to keep up with them, as the juiciest channels are always changing for security purposes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yes. The key is the keys. I have everything the operates in my area programmed into my radio, including encrypted and trunks. It took a few years to need them, gain the trust needed to collect them etc, but I have them. Honestly, its a PIA to keep up with them, as the juiciest channels are always changing for security purposes.
    I am a total tech geek. That is why I did the TSE stuff before. What I do for the juicy freq's is log the calls and sort by freq. Then I set my delays in my step list to the ones I know have more traffic. I have two computers dedicated to my receivers and my telescopes. Ah...semi-retired life is good. I think the only thing in my house not networked is the coffee pot and I am working on that
    On a side note...NH went to Motorola MCxxxx consoles for the dispatch centers. Most did not like the change. What do your dispatchers use?

Administrator
    What do your dispatchers use?
    I have no clue... I can ask and get back to you. It does look like Nasa control center in there though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have no clue... I can ask and get back to you. It does look like Nasa control center in there though.
    Ah, don't worry about it. I don't do that anymore. Was just curious. I do miss climbing the towers. Getting to the sites was half the fun. Going up mountains in 850cc ATV's with tracks in the middle of the winter.....fun

Administrator
    Ah, don't worry about it. I don't do that anymore. Was just curious. I do miss climbing the towers. Getting to the sites was half the fun. Going up mountains in 850cc ATV's with tracks in the middle of the winter.....fun
    I did similar work way back when, surge suppression and grounding to be exact. I did a lot of emergency communications and cell tower sites. I miss it too, but it could be a rough way to earn a living at times.
    "Just blame Sixto"

....but it could be a rough way to earn a living at times.
    You sound like my wife LOL. Weather don't bother me at all. We very seldom did tower work in the winter. Not so much because of the ice on the tower keeping us from climbing, but because AT&T or Verizon would be ticked if we knocked a 2 foot chunk off and it fell onto there microwave dish! But ya still had to get to the site for maintenance. I got lucky getting the job. The needed someone that can climb and no electronics and work on their own. Besides, how many people get to go to the top of Mt Washington (highest recorded wind ever) in the middle of the winter?

Administrator
    Weather doesnt bother me much either, it was more the travel and cash flow. I ended up buying the company that I worked for after about 6 months of watching the horrible business practices they had. They had plenty of accounts and potential money coming in, they just did a terrible job of managing it all. So I bought the joint... only to find out that I didn't know as much as I thought I did. I ended up righting a lot of the wrongs and made it profitable... then sold it to a sister company.

Long story short, a small mom and pop business trying to squeeze money owed out of the big boys is a lot tougher than I thought it would be. But, I'm still spinning up another business plan to get back into the game, only this time I have a new twist.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links