I turned my police scanner on

This is a discussion on I turned my police scanner on within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So after a few years I pulled out my old police scanner and programmed it for the Fayetteville, NC police department. Boy this place really ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I turned my police scanner on

Distinguished Member

I turned my police scanner on

So after a few years I pulled out my old police scanner and programmed it for the Fayetteville, NC police department. Boy this place really is as bad as everything thinks. After I get it programmed the first call I hear is a guy peaking his head in to windows on the next street. Within the first hour of it being on I counted 5 possible home invasions, 2 vehicle thefts, 6 domestics, and 1 armed robbery. They don't call this place FayetteNAM for nothing.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Stay alert and ready!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Man, 1 hour and all that shook loose?????

Detroit is safer than that for cripes sake, per capita.
    These are trying times we are living in, ain't they?
    Erick46590 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Man, 1 hour and all that shook loose?????

Detroit is safer than that for cripes sake, per capita.
    These are trying times we are living in, ain't they?
    Fayetteville NC pretty much sucks.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

If you don't have a scanner here are a couple of websites that have live feeds from police/emergencey radios
    Police scanner - Internet and Radio: Police Scanners
    Live Police, Fire, EMS, Aircraft, and Rail Scanners on RadioReference.com
    marcclarke likes this.

I'm told it's much better than it was in the 90's.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Administrator
    I find listening to air traffic is much more interesting than police and fire traffic. You only get about 1/10th of the traffic anyway.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ya want to know what is funny to listen to? BK's and McD's drive thru. Gotta have one in your car though. They leave the tranmitter on sometimes and you can here all kinds of different things from the car or the employee's.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I find listening to air traffic is much more interesting than police and fire traffic. You only get about 1/10th of the traffic anyway.
    That's funny. They would have to pay me to listen to that stuff.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    That's funny. They would have to pay me to listen to that stuff.
    I have a radio programmed to pick up all emergency services for hundreds of miles around... It would put these hobbyist scanners to shame- I turn that dang thing off the second I walk out the door and head for home. I don't want to listen to that crap- but I will turn on ATC once in a while. I get a kick outta watching the wide bodies come in from Europe over night.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    "If I had a house in Fayetteville and a home in hell, I would sell my house and go home." Ricky Treadaway, Weapons Platoon, Company A, 1/504 Inf (Abn), circa 1980

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I have a radio programmed to pick up all emergency services for hundreds of miles around... It would put these hobbyist scanners to shame- I turn that dang thing off the second I walk out the door and head for home. I don't want to listen to that crap- but I will turn on ATC once in a while. I get a kick outta watching the wide bodies come in from Europe over night.
    Whatcha got? Motorlla radio with freq's and PL's? I worked for a company for a year when retired that did most of the public safety comms in NH. At home I have a good set up on my computer with three Icom receivers (purchased when you could legally modify your scanner to intercept blocked frequencies). I think that police and fire are actually boring. The best signals are emergency road vehicles, Drive Thurs, private companies (construction, taxi etc). They all seem to have good stories to tell.

if anyone on here has an iphone that doesnt have a police scanner, look up "5-0 radio" in the app store. the free version has plenty of frequencies already, and if you pay for it you can get like 10,000+ or something like that.
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

Quote Originally Posted by Erick46590 View Post
    if anyone on here has an iphone that doesnt have a police scanner, look up "5-0 radio" in the app store. the free version has plenty of frequencies already, and if you pay for it you can get like 10,000+ or something like that.
    It isn't a scanner i.e you can't tune to frequencies. You are listening to live feeds streamed on the internet. So if your local police are not being streamed by somebody then you will not be able to access it.

The site I have listed in a previous post is the one that 5-0 radio gets it feed from. Here it is again:
    http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?coid=1
    FYI: For those that have scanners, the two sites I have listed previously are always looking for new feeds.

I Used to Listen - Then The All Went Digital

Quote Originally Posted by Erick46590 View Post
    I used to listen in the Northern Virginia area; kept a scanner in my truck during my hour+ commute. I'd often hear of traffic situations from State Police 20-30 m inutes before the FM broadcast radio gave the heads up on their traffic reports, so I could often re-route and avoid the mess. I even called a few accidents/situations in to local radio stations and it took half an hour or more before they reported it. Haven't replaced that older unit since things went digital. It just hasn't been worth that much money to me.

FYI: some states, like NY, don't allow for scanners in vehicles. If you don't have a ham license you can be cited and the radio confiscated. They ASSUME it's being used in the commission of some other crime!
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links