What I saw, and it got me thinking- - Page 3

What I saw, and it got me thinking-

This is a discussion on What I saw, and it got me thinking- within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Take a look at my avatar. That's no avatar, that's me. I've pretty much dressed that way for as long as I can remember. The ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: What I saw, and it got me thinking-

Retro?

Take a look at my avatar. That's no avatar, that's me.

I've pretty much dressed that way for as long as I can remember. The mustache and hair were a bit shorter while I was working - depending on the agency grooming standards at the time.

I also carry a revolver as my primary defensive weapon a good deal of the time. This last February (Dang! Almost a year now!) I bought a new red Mustang. I'd wanted one for forty-seven years at that point.

I suppose I'm considered 'retro'. I'm not, I'm original.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I don't remember much of the 60's, but I still get a flashback now and then. If you ask me "briefs or boxers?" I'll say "Depends." (That's from Sixto's pun intended.)
    GunGeezer likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    And I'll be proud to point out where once upon a time I had "USMC" and other militaria emblazoned on my arms and torso. I don't really worry about that.
    Fair enough. I'm thinking more about the tramp stamps. Or, rather, trying not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Just imagine the sagging tattoos in nursing homes in about 40-50 years.
    The tattoos may sag but thats all. Implants don't sag. Going to be a bunch of 90 year old ladies that do not sag at all. Talk about heart attack city!

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    The tattoos may sag but thats all. Implants don't sag. Going to be a bunch of 90 year old ladies that do not sag at all. Talk about heart attack city!

Michael
    What an image - - - and right before dinner, too!!!!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member

Michael
    Not a pleasent vision.
    Attached Images
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Naufragia View Post
    I used to see more high-hitched pants with suspenders, ties, fedoras, etc. Watch old B&W movies and see they really did dress like that back in the day. Those men are mostly gone, now, ...
    There are plenty of us around. Fedoras, homburgs, derbys, panamas, you name it. Check out The Fedora Lounge. I've been wearing a vintage derby from the 1920s today!

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    The tattoos may sag but thats all. Implants don't sag.
    You are correct, and you are correct.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yesterday, I was in a local favorite eating establishment having lunch. I noticed a guy straight out of 1986 and his lady friend.
    Was it Uncle Rico?

Never did the mullet, but I did have a mohawk for a very, very short time
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Hey, my father wore plaid polyester pants and a lime green shirt and a comb-over to hide the bald spot. For years now I've been saying, "they just don't make clothes that look good on a short, fat guy". But these days it's cargo shorts, pocket tees or fishing shirts, Crocs and as always, bald never goes out of style!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    And I'll be proud to point out where once upon a time I had "USMC" and other militaria emblazoned on my arms and torso. I don't really worry about that.

SIXTO, where are the pictures man? How could you see such a magnificent thing and not covertly take pictures? Epic Fail.

But, with any luck, he is still in the area, and I can run into him one day.

I am generally in the T-shirt and jeans with work boots camp.

How did you not mention socks with sandals in your post either?
    I did try to take pictures, much to my wife's horror and dismay. We'll just say I do not point shoot an iphone like I do a pistol. Socks and sandals... I'll do that. I don't care.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Wow. I was a teen on the farm in the late fifties. Jeans, white t-shirts, tennis shoes, burnt Mahogony farmers tan, pretty much all summer. Pants with out patch pockets and button shirt in school. DA haircuts. Rickey Nelson, Big Bopper, Jan & Dean, I listened while Rock was being invented. Heck, I thought Happy Days was a documentary. I knew Fonzie, but his name was Jim L. and he wasn't that nice. Cars had no seat belts, no special seats for kids, Saxaphones were still common in rock bands.

I remember the milk being delivered by a horse drawn milk wagon, finding it frozen on the front porch with the paper cap pushed 2" up by frozen cream on top, mom washing the milk bottles (glass) and setting them out to be collected. Dad carrying ice into put in the icebox. We didn't have a refigerator till after the war. Didn't have a car till after the war either.

Dad had 2 1911's (one was a super 38), .38Sp, .357 magnum, pre-war Colt 6-gun, Winchester Model 70 .30-06 (I still have it), and a little flat .380 Browning (that he carried every day during the war). That was a long time ago. But I was there.

Early sixties I was in the Army. Late sixties I was in college (BS EE). 1969 - 2004 in So. Cal. working as an Aerospace Engineer. Long hair, really long hair, short hair, slide rules and Curta's to calculators and PC's, pencil on velum to CAD and CNC, mimeograph to Xerox to paperless, tubes to transistors to integrated circuits, analog to digital, party lines to digital phones, we saw it all.

Today, back on a farm (not the same one), jeans and black t-shirt in the summer. Jeans and sweatshirt (covering one or another Glock) in the winter. Now I'm retired. No hair (shave head, it's the simplest solution). I carry an iPhone with more computing power than the mainframe I used to carry boxes of cards to.

Fitch
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    There are plenty of us around. Fedoras, homburgs, derbys, panamas, you name it. Check out The Fedora Lounge. I've been wearing a vintage derby from the 1920s today!
    Why don't people wear hats anymore? I watch old movies with Cary Grant and Humphrey Bogart and there are scenes of men going to work and everybody had a hat and all the offices had hangers.

Sadly, I don't think it's coming back. The only people who wear fedoras now are kind of weird. My roommate in college used to try to pull it off, but he failed.

You must of been close to a Walmart
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Why don't people wear hats anymore? I watch old movies with Cary Grant and Humphrey Bogart and there are scenes of men going to work and everybody had a hat and all the offices had hangers.

Sadly, I don't think it's coming back. The only people who wear fedoras now are kind of weird. My roommate in college used to try to pull it off, but he failed.
    Fedora's are kinda cool, but not many can pull it off anymore. You have to look the part and dress appropriately if you have any chance of looking good with one. I see some older black guys a lot that seem to do the best job at it, as long as their suits are not over the top tacky. I suppose white dudes could just the same, it just seems as if they do not for whatever reason. I say this because I was car shopping last week, and a lot of the salesmen I dealt with were black guys- they all wore fedoras with their suits. I thought most pulled the look off nicely. I also work with a few black detectives who pull off the same look... I do not think I could- but they are all more than a few years older than me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links