What I saw, and it got me thinking- - Page 5

What I saw, and it got me thinking-

This is a discussion on What I saw, and it got me thinking- within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've always been a hat guy. Ball caps, Fedoras, Stetsons. You name it. I have a Baily, beaver felt with buffalo nickle band that I ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: What I saw, and it got me thinking-

Sponsor
    I've always been a hat guy. Ball caps, Fedoras, Stetsons. You name it. I have a Baily, beaver felt with buffalo nickle band that I bought at Gilley's before it burned! I've gravitated towards the wide brimmed leather Fedora now though I have at least 30 ball caps. My hair is either buzz cut, long and unshorn or some where in between.

Here's a funny(I cry a little bit when I think about it!) story.

I used to sing and play bass in cover bands a hundred years or so ago. My oldest Daughter used to love to hear the stories about those days. She got the music bug too. She's back with her new baby(my first grandchild) for a while while her husband is deployed. She asked me to go sing karaoke with her since she's legal in the bars now. We have always sung together, just never before in public.

The night starts out slow as we are in a very rural area. We did a couple Big & Rich songs together, me on the baritone and her on tenor then I decided to twist things up a bit and belted War Pigs in epic fashion. When I bellied up to the bar and ordered the next round a 30 something hard body(yeah, 30 looks great now a days!) asked me what kind of car I drove. I said "Well, either a PT Cruiser, Ford Ranger or Kia Spectra." She asked if those were my only vehicles. I said that she may have seen me on an 81 Yamaha Seca or my 2000 Suzuki Katana. To which she replied "Damn, I was hoping you would say you had a Firebird!" That was when I took off my AC/DC ball cap, letting my longish hair fall down into my face and said "But I don't have a mullet!" I do however wear the dreaded goatee.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The Mustang GT with all the louvers looked awesome, but everyone who knew anything knew the LX notch back was the best. I'm a mustang guy too. I've had several but I do not have one now.... that'll change in about 18 yrs. LOL.

The coolest 80's car though, I didn't think much of them at the time, but now I'm a dad... I want a Grand Wagoneer in the worst way. If you have any remote interest in them, check this guy out;
    Jeep Grand Wagoneers - Full, Professional, Ground up Restorations. The finest, better-than-new Jeep Grand Wagoneers in the World

Attachment 55710

Attachment 55711
    Yes, the notchback LX was the fastest. Same 5.0 without all the extra weight. I just sold one of my Mustangs about 18 months ago. Yes, being a responsible dad is hard. If not for that, I would still have my '01 GT. At least I still have the '72, but she needs some work. I'll get a new one when I retire and the kids are out of college, unless I hit lotto.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

the mainframe I used to carry boxes of cards to
    I HAD forgotten about those darn cards..........

About the only constant during the first 25 years of my career was dark suits and white shirts and short hair. Some things never change. Growing up was bell bottoms, leisure suits, puffy shirts, slick tight shiny rayon shirts. May they never come back for all I care. Z's, BOSS and gas for $.14 who cared what mileage was?

Now it's jeans (relaxed fit) Ariat cowboy boots, flannel shirts (cotton or wool dependent on weather) with a long sleeved polo underneath, and in our one month of summer, cargo shorts.

Always a brimmed hat - Stetson, Aussie.............
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; January 17th, 2012 at 11:12 PM.

A buddy I used to work with said the big joke they would play on each other was knocking the stacks of cards out of each others' hands on the way to the compiler. They had to be manually re-sequenced before being compiled. They must have been really good friends. If I had a coworker do that to me they would be removing random office equipment from their backside.
    Rock and Glock and msgt/ret like this.

I always thought the skinny ties from the 80s are totally dead, then I see some older guy wearing one at church. Granted he probably bought this one in 1983, but I think they are still out there. I am waiting for someone to resurrect the piano keys tie, I swear I will sport it to work on 80s day!

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Still got a "Member's Only" jacket. (Love it and I wear it ftt.) IMHO; they are a very practical jacket for the SC weather; and I would buy a black one in 2x if I could find one.

I did get rid of all my "velour" jogging suits back in the mid-eighties. (I've always prefered normal sweat-pants.)

As to other fashions; I don't wear "golf" shirts much anymore. But, I still love wrangler jeans, Hagger (pleated) slacks, cargo pants & shorts, as well chino's.

-

You know, I used to laugh and chuckle a bit about an older guy who wore these horrendous red plaid pants, and a ugly green polo shirt..... he was very slender, and a crew cut at all times.

until.....

I learned he had volunteered and flown with the Flying Tigers in China for several years.
    Flying Tigers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At that point, I realized the problem was mine.... I had judged him entirely on those clothes, and not the man. After that, I made a point of getting to talk to him and about the flying tigers, and had nothing but the upmost respect for the man.

I have seen pictures of some of the dirt patches on the side of horrendous 'cliffs' they landed on high in the mountains in their flights, that if you missed it and didn't get stopped on that small patch of dirt... you were dead. These men took the word "courage" to whole new level.
    I was determined after that to never make fun of anyone because of how they dressed, or to make those types of judgments again.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Administrator
    Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means saying judgment should be passed; I'm simply pointing out the "typical" characters that were once common in every town across America, but are now gone.
    The old man in plaid pants is gone; he was a peice of americana.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by l1a1 View Post
    A buddy I used to work with said the big joke they would play on each other was knocking the stacks of cards out of each others' hands on the way to the compiler. They had to be manually re-sequenced before being compiled. They must have been really good friends. If I had a coworker do that to me they would be removing random office equipment from their backside.
    Way, way back when I first starting flying in 1975 our cargo manifest was accompanied by a stack of cards usually at least two inches high. And I still remember government checks and savings bonds being printed on IBM cards, still have a couple of series E bonds I have not cashed in yet.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Sixto thank you... I needed the laugh. Well written.

There is a guy near my work that sports the down-to-the-belt mullet with the spikey/poofy top and is always in dress slacks, white oxford shirt, jerry garcia tie & sport coat.

How about the "Members Only" jacket crowd? Yes, there still is at least one member....
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links