What I saw, and it got me thinking-

This is a discussion on What I saw, and it got me thinking- within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yesterday, I was in a local favorite eating establishment having lunch. I noticed a guy straight out of 1986 and his lady friend. This guy ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: What I saw, and it got me thinking-

Administrator

What I saw, and it got me thinking-

Yesterday, I was in a local favorite eating establishment having lunch. I noticed a guy straight out of 1986 and his lady friend. This guy had one of the best mullets I've ever seen. It took the whole "Business in front, party in rear" to a new level. It reached his lower back, and even his top of his head was all puffed up like a fancy rooster. To complete his look, he had on parachute pants (yup, not kidding), Reebok high tops and a Michael Jackson style leather jacket. Use Google if you are to young or to old to know what I'm talking about. He even sported a child molester style mustache. This guy look to be pushing 50. 50 years old!.... His lady friend wasn't much better. She probably was quite a catch in '86, even her Aquanet was still in good shape. I could have flipped over, held her by her feet and raked my lawn. I was disappointed that there was no IROC in the parking lot (yes, I did check) I so bad wanted to tell them that Reagan was out of office (dead in fact, RIP) Busch and served his term and his son even had a shot at the presidency. I also wanted to tell him that Marty McFly should be showing up anytime now, as we are almost to the point in the future that he travels to- only we took the long route.

Now, I post all this not to make fun or critique others fashion sense. But this treat from '86 made me think back a little. I remember laughing at the old guys you always used to see wearing their hideous plaid pants with a lime green polo tucked in. You know what I'm talking about... if you are over 20, you have to. You don't see those guys anymore. They must of all died off. Or how about the old ladies that looked like they took the rug out of some panel van and made a suit out of it. They're gone too. Now old ladies like to mimic parrots. They put on the shiniest, most colorful shirt they can find with the most sequins. I guess they think its going to hide the fact that they are old or woefully out of shape. Wrongo! Bright colors and sequins draw attention to yourself. If they are trying the peacock method, the have it backwards. Females are attracted to bright shiny colors, not the males.

I remember my grandpa wearing a silk shirt when we went out to eat at a nice place... he's long gone. So are silk shirts. I also remember when I lived in Florida as a kid, you could always tell the people from New York or jersey who migrated to Florida. They almost always wore matching jogging suits, although it was obvious they never have jogged a day in their lives. In the cooler temps, it was the velvety material. You could also tell the ones who had money from the ones who did not... the ones who did not had gold chains showing. Last time I was in Florida, this was still going on to a certain extent.

Now, all this also got me wondering... What do I still do that is a hold over from my glory days? Am I going to be somebodies "Mullet man" someday? Am I already? How will the pants on the ground meatheads look? Will their still be hanger ons to a fad that has long past? ( I guess there will be... they are still out there. I see them daily. morons.) Will they still be wearing their stupid print over sized sweat shirts in August? Will they still walk like they have a load in their pants? (maybe they actually will at that point... it Depends) Will circus clown attire ever go out of fashion? Will there be a 80 year old wearing "skinny jeans" in line for his discounted coffee at McD's?

Anyway, I did not post this to have some weird fashion talk here on DC.com. My intent is to get others to post about certain characters that were common in our communities, but are now gone. Like the old man in plaid pants, wearing a fedora and pushing his walker around Woolworth's. Or the old lady wearing a berber carpet suit.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Then there is me, eternally clad in jeans, T-shirt, ball cap, shades, running shoes and, in cold weather, an M65 jacket, just like when I ETSed in '81.
    oneshot likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Well, at least to answer your question about the pants on the ground camp, by time they are old enough that it is not considered "in" anymore, most of them will probably be dead or locked up in jail trying to keep their pants up as high as they can, judging by the lot of them I see downtown mostly. I'm sure most of them will realize by the time they mature and maybe even get a real career that they look like idiots!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Then there is me, eternally clad in jeans, T-shirt, ball cap, shades, running shoes and, in cold weather, an M65 jacket, just like when I ETSed in '81.
    IMO, jeans and t shirt are timeless. Hard to go wrong there... unless the T shirt is from the Winger tour.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Instead of a mullet I carry a 1911. Talk about living in the past.

On the subject of style. When I was a kid in the early sixties we all wore Levi's. Not as a fashion statement but because they did not wear out like trousers. The well off kids got to wear nice trousers but not us.
    I remember laughing to myself once after I grew up when I saw on the news that Levi's were now in fashion. Had been wearing them all my life and did not know they had gone out of fashion.

Michael

VIP Member
    I always said that I wouldn't freeze myself in time from my 'glory days'. Fortunately (as Mike1956 mentioned), jeans, t-shirts and ball caps are fairly timeless.

I'm fine with the lame crap that kids call rock these days, but I still find myself cranking the radio when old AC/DC comes on, and even louder if it's Lynyrd Skynyrd. The fact is that music from the 70's and early 80's remind me of a time when I had nothing but potential, and those were some fun times.

My son pulled down some old family albums a few months ago, and sure enough there was a pic of me with a mullet and a shirt with the neck ripped out of it. I'm very grateful to have moved on.

Some people don't want to admit there age and want to continuously relive their hay-day. Hence mulletman. Others, they just dont seem to care how gawdy their outfit looks, thats what they want to wear to feel fancy. I dont think either do it trying to fool others, its to fool themselves.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I always said that I wouldn't freeze myself in time from my 'glory days'. Fortunately (as Mike1956 mentioned), jeans, t-shirts and ball caps are fairly timeless.

I'm fine with the lame crap that kids call rock these days, but I still find myself cranking the radio when old AD/DC comes on, and even louder if it's Lynyrd Skynyrd. The fact is that music from the 70's and early 80's remind me of a time when I had nothing but potential, and those were some fun times.

My son pulled down some old family albums a few months ago, and sure enough there was a pic of me with a mullet and a shirt with the neck ripped out of it. I'm very grateful to have moved on.
    Remember when you took your ballcap off when entering a building? Or, had it pointed out to you if you didn't remove it in a timely manner?

Michael
    RemMod597 and msgt/ret like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Remember when you took your ballcap off when entering a building? Or, had it pointed out to you if you didn't remove it in a timely manner?

Michael
    Coast Guard drilled that into me. I still feel odd walking into a building with my cover on, and fight the urge to salute our flag when it is hoisted or lowered.

Well lets see. I still pretty much wear the same stuff I did from the 1980's with the exception of the high-top shoes. I lost most of my hair by the time I was 32, so I pretty much just shave or trim what is left down to stubble.

But I still have many of my old computers and game consoles from the 1980's up on the attic. Commodore 64, Nintento, Atari 2600, Apple IIe, etc. Eventually I want to bring them down and show them to my daughter.

As far as the pants-on-the-ground guys go. Well, I haven't seen one older than about 20 years old. The vast majority of them are in their teens. The funny thing is, I think they want to look like thugs, but the real thugs don't dress like that. After all, it is hard to rape, rob, and kill when you are trying to hold your pants up.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

but I still find myself cranking the radio when old AC/DC comes on, and even louder if it's Lynyrd Skynyrd. The fact is that music from the 70's and early 80's remind me of a time when I had nothing but potential, and those were some fun times.
    Awh hell yeah! I can remember cruising around in my bright yellow w/white vinyl roof 71 RT Challenger with the tunes cranked so loud I couldn't hear my friends screaming for me too slow down. Had the hair cropped at the top and to the top of the ear and the back down below my shoulder; a real Joe dirt I was.

Then one day, I blew the engine up and found out just how much it cost to rebuild a 383 magnum.

So I got a hair cut, got job and forgot all about my beautiful Dodge. I think my next car was a 81 Pontiac Sunbird or something like that... which I promptly ran into a tree and totaled while eating on a bag of smarties no less... And that's about all I care to share today.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Saggy pants were in style in 1990. It came back.

I had a mullet in 1991. Pics to prove it. Sexxxaaayyyyyyyy. No longer have it.

I kept some of my 80's Levis. Can't wear them but had to hold on to them.

I no longer roll up the sleeves on my t-shirts ala Beverly Hills 90210

My shorts come down to my knees now...thank goodness. The Magnum P.I. look of old won't fly these days.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    .. but I still find myself cranking the radio when old AC/DC comes on...
    Nothing cooler than to see an old guy blasting Bon and Angus. Hopefully you will keep doing it when you are old my friend. I won't ever let go of the best era of music ever...the late late 70's and 80's.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

My fashion review would be the Hippie look that went out way back in the 1970's. You know the "Flower power" shirts with the Peace signs, beads, long hair (well if any of the 60 somethings still have hair) coloured square "granny" sunglasses, sandals and that sort of stuff.

I was at well....Wal-Mart (imagine that) and saw a guy who looked like he walked out of a 1968 acid trip dressed in stuff that hippies would only dream of. Everyone my age (50+) that was in the store watched this guy. I almost expected to hear Jimi Hendrix "Purple Haze" come blasting out of the store speakers in Woodstock rememberance.

You just don't see much of it unless kids these days see photos of their grandparents dressed like that to go out and protest.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I see my students wearing hi-tops and stone washed jeans out of the 80's and get a kick out of it. Then I show them how we used to roll our pants in middle school (late 80's for me). Never had the mullet, though my hangover is probably my 90's goatee which I can never seem to really get rid of.

Jim

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links