Castle Doctrine Minus The Firearm

This is a discussion on Castle Doctrine Minus The Firearm within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; No guns involved in this lethal home defense, so it gets put in the Off-Topic catagory. I'm sure more will follow from the ultra-liberal Columbus ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Castle Doctrine Minus The Firearm

VIP Member

Castle Doctrine Minus The Firearm

No guns involved in this lethal home defense, so it gets put in the Off-Topic catagory. I'm sure more will follow from the ultra-liberal Columbus Dispatch.
    Burglar caught in act suffers fatal beating | The Columbus Dispatch

2. Remove Ads

From someone responding to the article on the link above.
    Terry Reeves (Terry_Reeves)

kowalski - so you favor the death penalty for burglars? I'm all in favor of just punishment, but do you think this punishment fits the crime? Isn't justice supposed to be about an appropriate punishment? I'm not saying the homeowner did anything wrong, we don't have all the facts, and I'd certainly lean toward cutting him a lot of slack. But if he continued to beat the man after he was unconscious for example, he exceeded any reasonable self defense or need to protect his family. That's carrying it too far, and it's wrong.

2012-01-17 09:43:13.0
    This person brings up two points. On the first I believe him to be totally off base. This was not a case of the resident handing out punishment. He was protecting himself.

On the second point I wonder if a prosecutor could use that argument against him? Did he continue his defense after the threat was no longer there? If the idea of self-defense is to stop the threat did he go past that?

Michael

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    From someone responding to the article on the link above.

This person brings up two points. On the first I believe him to be totally off base. This was not a case of the resident handing out punishment. He was protecting himself.

On the second point I wonder if a prosecutor could use that argument against him? Did he continue his defense after the threat was no longer there? If the idea of self-defense is to stop the threat did he go past that?

Michael
    Some always second guess everything and look for the negative it seems. So many questions, with only speculative answers. It's really no wonder some people hesitate those last crucial seconds of their life before taking action.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. I feel that when criminals make the choice to go from planning a home invasion to actually stepping foot in someone else's home, uninvited and with malicious intent, whatever it may be, they have themselves made the choice to accept whatever their actions may bring; be it a brand new orifice at center mass or a good old fashioned beat down. Even criminals can't seem to realize that you don't mess with people's homes and, inherently, their families.
    fourlabs and RockStrongo like this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

BG provoked the incident,,,, must suffer the end results.
    Mind you own business,,, stay home ,,,, work & buy your
    own stuff,,,, stop trying to get something for nothing,,,,
    and besides he died at hospital ,,,, home owner maybe
    did not know how bad the guy was,,,,
    A few elitists shouldn't rule the many.
    Better to have a 380 in your pocket than a 45 at HOME.
    When seconds count, police are minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Some always second guess everything and look for the negative it seems. So many questions, with only speculative answers. It's really no wonder some people hesitate those last crucial seconds of their life before taking action.
    +1
    I see all these posts where a person proudly proclaims that they would rather be tried by twelve than to be carried by six. Never understood that logic myself. I value my freedom to much, more than my life even.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Even criminals can't seem to realize that you don't mess with people's homes and, inherently, their families.
    Unfortunately, Society has failed these cretins and made that line of work attractive. How many jobs do you think he pulled off without encountering the kind of resistance that ended his career? Reminds me of what the Hamilton County Prosecuting Attorney said, ""If you go into a store,with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot".

Quote Originally Posted by l1a1 View Post
    Unfortunately, Society has failed these cretins and made that line of work attractive. How many jobs do you think he pulled off without encountering the kind of resistance that ended his career? Reminds me of what the Hamilton County Prosecuting Attorney said, ""If you go into a store,with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot".
    Remove the part that I highlighted and I would be in full agreement with your post.

Michael

That was a bit sarcastic of me, yes.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    BG took some damage from the home owner; enough that he broke off contact and transversed a couple of blocks before collapsing

'he was found' has me to believe that the home owner did not follow him. so his injury at the home had a delayed effect ( happens often enough in auto accidents
    and contact sports to be believable) and /or falling, he hit his head again.

who here can't abide "do stupid things, win stupid prize"

small rant---when are the courts going to wise up to the fact that the safest place for felons is in prison?
    plying their trade lately has gotten an awful lot of them killed. which has me feeling sorry for the aggravation honest people have to
    go through to defend themselves at the time of the crime and again later in court. my taxes support the scum in jail and the judicial system to put them there.
    and the policing for the catch & release of said scum.
    rope is cheap and reusable.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by l1a1 View Post
    Society is not to blame. I'm of the belief that no matter how bad things in someone's life are they still know the basic difference between right and wrong, and the punishment that may come with wrong.

That's one thing an attorney has said that I can agree with though.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

There was NO REASON for this home owner to beat this dirtbag to death...it could have just been so much easier for 1 CoM/1H.OMOYMV
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

Michael
    If he was dead in the home, possibly. But this guy made it out of the house and was found on the street. I would imagine the homeowner will be alright unless the DA is nuts. But I have always said, deadly force is deadly force. The application of it or placement of it should not be the issue. YMMV
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    There was NO REASON for this home owner to beat this dirtbag to death...it could have just been so much easier for 1 CoM/1H.OMOYMV
    This is a remedy to the problem of excessive force by beating. Had the gentleman fired a gun it would be hard to argue that he used to much gun. It would not be reasonable to say he could stop the bullet if it was no longer necessary.
    Not so with a total beat down. That is something that could be stopped at the moment it became no longer necessary for self defense.

I guess what I am asking is......would this person be safer from possible criminal charges had he used a firearm instead of hand to hand?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Society is not to blame. I'm of the belief that no matter how bad things in someone's life are they still know the basic difference between right and wrong, and the punishment that may come with wrong.

That's one thing an attorney has said that I can agree with though.
    I agree with ya 100%. I was making the point that if enough people took their duty to defend themselves and their families that home invasions and robberies would be much too risky of an occupation. Not really trying to remove personal responsibility for the criminals actions. Just adding some personal responsiblility for the general populace.
    I know it's a fools errand. I cannot even convince some people close to me that their are wolves in society and one is well served to be able to meet a threat with the appropriate amount of force in return.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links