Wikipedia and other sites go down to protest SOPA at Midnight for 24 hours

This is a discussion on Wikipedia and other sites go down to protest SOPA at Midnight for 24 hours within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Knightrider +1 IF this bill goes through, and you own a facebook page, twitter, youtube, or any other networking site, you could ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Wikipedia and other sites go down to protest SOPA at Midnight for 24 hours

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    +1

IF this bill goes through, and you own a facebook page, twitter, youtube, or any other networking site, you could commit a copyright crime and get thrown in jail for 5 years.Odds are, you already committed a copyright crime (even on this site) and didn't even know it. This is abuse of government power and will move us one step closer to having the "thought police".....
    Yup, in fact under the proposed legislation you could go to jail for 5 years for uploading a Michael Jackson song. The guy who killed him only got 4 years.....
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I'm reminded of the bar owner who lost his shirt because an RIAA rep happened to be present when a cover band played a song in his bar. I am also reminded of the family that got sued when their 2 yo was shown dancing to 30 seconds of a song on Americas Funniest Home Videos. The depths that the entertainment industry will sink to in the name of greed is despicable. Legislation like this is a product of that greed.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
    Hopyard likes this.

As terrible as the bill is, we all know what happens when govt. gets it foot in the door. This would be just the start. Once they get in the "protecting public and private people from the internet buisness", there will be no stopping them and there will be more bills and laws. It will become another giant govt. bureaucracy/buisness with no particular benifit except robbing us of rights and money. Similar to the war on drugs, the patriot act, social security, the IRS, and many others. People could argue the pros and cons of the nature of these programs but that is not my point. Some would argue these govt. programs benifits to sociaty. But I will bet there is not one soul out there who dosnt believe that all govt. programs under the guise to help the people eventually become nothing more than giant petty cash jars that can be emptied of the funds we are forced to pay in? Govt. is way too big and greedy, everything has become a power grab, back door deals that sell our rights for cash. This bill is no different. So Mr. cheap whore govt. beurocrate selling me down the river... This buds for you... Ooops, Anybody know if that was a copywrite infringment???
    Miracles happen, not in opposition to Nature,
    but in opposition to what we know of Nature.

St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Looks like SOPA and PIPA are dead in the water for now.

INFLUENCE GAME: Online companies win piracy fight
    ALAN FRAM
    From Associated Press
    January 21, 2012 1:39 PM EST
    WASHINGTON (AP) Outspent but hardly outgunned, online and high-tech companies triggered an avalanche of Internet clicks to force Congress to shelve legislation that would curb online piracy. They outmaneuvered the entertainment industry and other old guard business interests, leaving them bitter and befuddled.

Before Senate and House leaders set aside the legislation Friday, the movie and music lobbies and other Washington fixtures, including the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, had put in play their usually reliable tactics to rally support for the bills.
    EarthLink - U.S. News

Expect them to try something else same as they did when 8 tracks, cassettes, VCRs and recordable DVDs came out.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I spend far more time on my computer using the internet than I do watching movies, music, TV, etc. If push came to shove and I had to choose between the two the looser is obvious.

What these idiotic simpleton dolts in these industries don't get is that 99% or more of the population is against piracy, but they are not going to tolerate having their toes stepped on and their freedoms squashed to stop the actions of a few.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links