Wikipedia and other sites go down to protest SOPA at Midnight for 24 hours

This is a discussion on Wikipedia and other sites go down to protest SOPA at Midnight for 24 hours within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Wikipedia and other internet sites will go down tonight at midnight for 24 hours to protest SOPA and PIPA. Good for them!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Wikipedia and other sites go down to protest SOPA at Midnight for 24 hours

Wikipedia and other sites go down to protest SOPA at Midnight for 24 hours

Wikipedia and other internet sites will go down tonight at midnight for 24 hours to protest SOPA and PIPA. Good for them!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Thanks..I meant to put in a link to the news

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Oh God... I'm going to have cold shakes tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Oh God... I'm going to have cold shakes tomorrow...
    I think the more important part is to not have SOPA pass

That takes some nerve. I like it.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Thankfully, it is looking like SOPA and it's cousin PIPA are a dead end and are now facing Presidential veto. The truth is that the real teeth of the measures, DNS blocking wouldn't work anyway and trying it will cause more problems without solving the one that exists, overblown as it is.

VIP Member
    Thats why I asked everyone to go to the range that day. Get your things done and go shooting!

Who gives a rip about those guys?

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Thats why I asked everyone to go to the range that day. Get your things done and go shooting!

I guess you haven't read what SOPA is all about.....
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

People who don't want to live in an Orwellian fascist dystopia.

This is basically Gun Control for the Internet, not sure how more folks aren't opposed to it.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BritishAgent View Post
    People who don't want to live in an Orwellian fascist dystopia.

This is basically Gun Control for the Internet, not sure how more folks aren't opposed to it.
    +1

IF this bill goes through, and you own a facebook page, twitter, youtube, or any other networking site, you could commit a copyright crime and get thrown in jail for 5 years.Odds are, you already committed a copyright crime (even on this site) and didn't even know it. This is abuse of government power and will move us one step closer to having the "thought police".....
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    The more I read about these bills, I see that there are two fundamental issues:

First, it is clear that this is as an attempt by the US to restrict and filter what its citizens can have access to on the internet. Specifically, the filtering provisions are intended to create an embargo against allegedly offending sites and enforce censorship on US citizens by denying them access to these alleged sites. Obviously the US doesn't have legal jurisdiction in these countries, so the intent was to enforce the ban on those that they could. Part of the problem with this is that the censorship would be enacted on the request of and for the benefit of private companies in a "act now and litigate later" fashion. There are already judicial process in place to deal with these issues, and unfortunately these companies have shown a definite tendency to abuse the process. There have been several DMCA "take downs" issued by these companies on material they don't have the rights to and they have even sued other companies and lost, yet in the process have killed these other companies and sent the employees to unemployment.

Second is the technological issues associated with their methods, the use of DNS filtering which not only would not work as it is easily bypassed, it would create more problems by creating a black market DNS system that could easily manipulate people into going to rogue and counterfeit sites. For the not as tech savvy and who wish to understand what our legislature has been trying to much with, I will try to explain:

Each website on the Internet has an IP address, which currently consists of four octets of numbers ranging between 0 and 255. For example, defensivecarry.com is 206.127.24.17. When you go to a site, traffic is routed between your computer and the server through a combination of your IP addresses and what are called MAC addresses (a number programmed by the manufacturer that is unique to your network card). *Note, that your MAC doesn't go past the first router, instead the router's MAC is substituted at each hop or network intersection. Names have no significance to the machines routing the traffic, only the numbers. Consequently, the DNS (Domain Name System) was created to change names that humans can understand into these addresses.

The DNS system is operated under the authority of a non profit institution called ICAAN, which is incorporated in the USA. There are five subdivisions that control the Internet naming system: AFRINIC, APNIC, ARIN, LACNIC, and RIPE NCC, which basically split the globe. Each of these operate under the laws of the country that is home, for example RIPE, which governs Europe operates under Dutch law in the Netherlands. This is important in that it establishes partial legal jurisdiction over parts of the Internet. In the USA, ARIN controls the naming for domains and is the parent for what are called TLD's or Top Level Domains, like .com, .net, and .org. Consequently, when you get a site with one of these domains, e.g. defensivecarry.com, you operate under their legal jurisdiction.

The system was designed for these agencies to mirror each other across the globe. In addition there are a lot of secondary servers spread across the world, such as the one operated by your ISP that you program into your computer when you set up your internet access, each of which is designed to have the same information, so that everyone can get to the same place.

The PIPA and SOPA break this commonality by demanding that US based ISPs try to filter these DNS record to remove offending entries. Consequently, the information stored in your ISP's DNS in the US might not be the same as the one from someone accessing the internet in France. Nothing says you need to use the one provided by your ISP, you can use any of them as they are supposed to be identical. This is where the fraud problem comes in. If the US starts blocking and filtering, people will simply point their computers to foreign DNS servers to get around the block. The problem is how do you know that your not using some rogue DNS that when you go to your bank, instead of your bank you go to a counterfeit site that wants to steal your information. All you know is that you entered your banks URL and got a site (of course you should look for the security verification, but the idea is apparent).

The operators of DNS are aware of this counterfeit problem and are working on rolling out a system called DNSSEC: DNS Security, which contains a signing or authentication of the information. Consequently, when you get information for google, your computer will automatically verify that it is being given legitimate information. Attempting to block or filter via DNS will break this mechanism, making the counterfeit problem even worse.

In a nutshell, the legislature is trying to pass legislation based upon a sophomoric understanding of the Internet, as if someone gave them a back of a napkin sketch in 1993. They clearly do not understand what they are doing, or the ramifications of their actions. They are simply reacting to the $$ pressure of the bribes being paid to them. Sounds an awful lot like gun rights issues doesn't it?
    msgt/ret likes this.

noway2....
    ... I used to have a good idea of how the interwebs worked...but forgot most of it long ago. Great job at breaking it down and letting folks understand what the government is trying to take control of.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

I used Wikipedias foreign language sites and used google chrome to translate them to English all day. Pretty bad broken English, no worse then some message boards , but it worked.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post

Well, this forum could well be a thing of the past if SOPA / PIPA pass. As could most if not all internet forums, Facebook, YouTube, etc.

Might be worth "giving a rip about"....
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links