Just got back from a road trip.

This is a discussion on Just got back from a road trip. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just flew to Florida on Sunday and drove a moving truck back to Pittsburgh this weekend for my mom. I had the truck and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Just got back from a road trip.

VIP Member

Just got back from a road trip.

I just flew to Florida on Sunday and drove a moving truck back to Pittsburgh this weekend for my mom. I had the truck and towed a car behind, the works. Do you guys know what I learned?

I learned I'm not a young man anymore. That trip sucked!!! My eyes just about stopped working after 15 or 16 hours on the road. I had to stop and get a hotel when I was only about 90 minutes South of Pittsburgh. I just couldn't go any further or I was going to crash.

I hope to NEVER do anything like that again.
    Bark'n likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    None of us are as young as we used to be.

My maximum is 12 hours. After that, I am drained. Five or six hours of sleep puts me right, though. Then back to it.

I'm glad you made it safely. Stopping was probably the safest thing you could have done for yourself and everyone else on the road.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Better you than me man...

Heck, here lately I can barely make it through an eight hour shift and the one hour commute, then all I want to do is sleep.

Yup, getting old sux. Last year I had my last advertised birthday, from here on out I'm just a grouchy old fart.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Yup. My eyes went last year. My once 20/20 is gone forever. I now have to extend my arm to it's full length in order to read my watch. My dad actually laughed vindictively when he saw me struggling to see what time it was.

I feel it most on the motorcycle. I'm starting to appreciate the old geezers who ride road-couches with the full fairings and saddle bags. I've always sworn that I'd give up riding before I road behind a windshield, but I may end up eating that promise someday...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Yup. My eyes went last year. My once 20/20 is gone forever. I now have to extend my arm to it's full length in order to read my watch. My dad actually laughed vindictively when he saw me struggling to see what time it was.

I feel it most on the motorcycle. I'm starting to appreciate the old geezers who ride road-couches with the full fairings and saddle bags. I've always sworn that I'd give up riding before I road behind a windshield, but I may end up eating that promise someday...
    Becareful what you say in your youth. 9 times out of 10 it will come back to bite you in later years!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Becareful what you say in your youth. 9 times out of 10 it will come back to bite you in later years!
    LOL. So far, it's been 10 out of 10.

After getting plugged in the chest by a locust at 50mph, the windshield was my first add-on.

Dumbest thing I ever did was drive from Boston Ma to Orlando, FL to pick up my fiancee without stopping for sleep. Made it 23 or 24 hours. Almost two wrecks from falling a sleep. But I hadn't seen her in 6 months so I was anxious. Won't do that again.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    time was ua went and did

now iits more to plan and give it a second thought.
    but that ain't so bad; i mean...at least you are still here
    and able to do the most of it. just in smaller bites.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Dumbest thing I ever did was drive from Boston Ma to Orlando, FL to pick up my fiancee without stopping for sleep. Made it 23 or 24 hours. Almost two wrecks from falling a sleep. But I hadn't seen her in 6 months so I was anxious. Won't do that again.
    I did the 24 hour thing once too. No fun. I drove a van from Pittsburgh to Winslow Arizona and eventually on to San Diego. I was wiped out. But I was younger then and it was easier for me to recover. I feel pretty rough today.

@ WHEC724: As I was driving through the Palmetto State I actually thought to myself. "I wonder where WHEC lives?"
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

15-16 hours is a long time. Don't kid yourself. I once did 22 hours straight from GA to NM, 5 hours sleep and 9 more hours into West Covina, CA. That was a once in a lifetime trip for me though. I had to get two hotel room on the way back.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post

@ WHEC724: As I was driving through the Palmetto State I actually thought to myself. "I wonder where WHEC lives?"
    Right off I-20 as you're driving past Aiken. PM me next time and I'll buy you lunch.
    atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    I hope there never is a next time. : )

It's good you had enough sense to stop when you needed to, I investigated a bunch of fatal accidents where the deceased did not make that sound decision.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    None of us are as young as we used to be.
    lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links