Triathlon?

Triathlon?

This is a discussion on Triathlon? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm planning on running my first triathlon this summer. Anyone have advice for me?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Triathlon?

VIP Member

Triathlon?

I'm planning on running my first triathlon this summer. Anyone have advice for me?
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Most I ever run is the 5 mile races. I try to run in the woods etc. More interesting than treadmill and sidewalks.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Run a lot. Swim a lot. Bike a lot. And have fun doing it! :)
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Administrator
    Lay off the beer, dont get fat and lazy. I share from my own experiences.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Get some counceling! No, in reality, work on your endurance. I know because I've been working on mine, and can now walk from my chair to the refrigerator and back without resting! Best of luck!
    gasmitty likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Swim a lot. I'm not sure what distance you are doing ( sprint or Olympic) but most people struggle with the swim. It is the most physically demanding part because you are using your whole body. I had a very in shape buddy do one with me who didn't swim much in training. I smoked him by a couple of minutes in the water because I was prepared. The other thing you should do is invest in a try suit. It is bike shorts with butt pads that you can swim in that also covers your chest like a muscle shirt. This will help on your transitions( which are another thing you should practice). There are many great resources on the interweb out there on the triathlon subject as well. Good luck. You will have a lot of fun.
    BIGRED1911
    Kimber ProElite Ruger P345 Ruger P95DC Beretta Cheetah 85FS

I'm training for an Ironman in November...my first tri will me in May. The most common advice I get from veterans is that even good swimmers often struggle in the open water swim portion - its just very different tha a pool. I chose a swim coach that has group practice open water swims with her students. Other than that...every else really will depend on your goals and where you're starting. Good luck!
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Have done several. I can swim for miles but not fast. With that said. Whatever your weakest event is..RELAX during it. Don't try to go crazy and go faster than you know you can do. It is 3 events. Just keep telling yourself that and accept the pace you feel you can do. For me, I can do well swimming if it was only a swimming competition by going 150 percent. But in a Tri you have two more to do. So I just hang with the pack and relax and catch up on the run. Does that make sense? I do ultra marathons more often than Tri's anyways. Talk about zoning out during a 50 or 100 mile ultra! Not as hard as they seem beleive it or not.

I work about one weekend a month with a friend that owns one of the best multi-sport production companies in the area. I work the finish line and see everyone that finishes from the elite athlete to the recreational person just tring to challenge themself even if they aren't very fit. Most will tell you the open water swim is the most challenging. Most are either good runners or cyclers. I would start with a sprint distance with the swim in a pool if possible. If it's in a lake I would look for a relatively short swim to start out. Have fun and remember to thank the people that are there putting the race on for you. It goes a long way in making your experience a good one. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    I work about one weekend a month with a friend that owns one of the best multi-sport production companies in the area. I work the finish line and see everyone that finishes from the elite athlete to the recreational person just tring to challenge themself even if they aren't very fit. Most will tell you the open water swim is the most challenging. Most are either good runners or cyclers. I would start with a sprint distance with the swim in a pool if possible. If it's in a lake I would look for a relatively short swim to start out. Have fun and remember to thank the people that are there putting the race on for you. It goes a long way in making your experience a good one. Have fun!
    For the amount I pay in entry fees (up to 500 bucks!) they should be thanking me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    For the amount I pay in entry fees (up to 500 bucks!) they should be thanking me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You're an Ironman? I don't know of any Tri's around here that even come close to that in price. Of course if you want to pay a little extra that would be OK with us I'm sure. Maybe I'll get a tip jar for the food area since we always feed everyone (including specators) after the race.

What distance are you starting with? I did a Sprint Tri a few months ago. The hardest part for me was the bike, and practice running as soon as you get off the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    You're an Ironman? I don't know of any Tri's around here that even come close to that in price. Of course if you want to pay a little extra that would be OK with us I'm sure. Maybe I'll get a tip jar for the food area since we always feed everyone (including specators) after the race.
    Oh, not for an Ironman. Can't remember the most I paid for the privelege to abuse my body in a Tri. I paid almost 500 for 200km ultra in S. America before and about the same for one in Egypt.

VIP Member
    The good news for me is that when I was younger I was a very good swimmer and had plenty of practice over long distances. My worry , because I know how far I've fallen, is getting enough practice time in for the swim. There aren't as many opportunities to get to the pool. With the bike (no problem for me) and the run (shouldn't be too bad unless I'm cooked by then) I can just go out my front door and get practicing.

I have to drive across town to a pool. <-- : (
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Join my triathlon...comfy chair, cold beer, a great football game!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links