Martial Arts for kids?

Martial Arts for kids?

This is a discussion on Martial Arts for kids? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Since my son was born I've been wanting to put him into some sort of Martial Arts or Karate or something as soon as he ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Martial Arts for kids?

Senior Moderator

Martial Arts for kids?

Since my son was born I've been wanting to put him into some sort of Martial Arts or Karate or something as soon as he was old enough for it.

Well, time flies when you're having fun and now my son is 3 and within a year or so it's probably going to be time to get him into it.

I know there are quite a few people here who know a lot more about that than I do as I have been to one MA class in my entire life and I think I was twelve. Don't really remember.

What kind of martial arts would you recommend?

What should I look for when it comes to choosing a class for my kid?

What do I not even know to ask?

I'm a big believer in grappling to start kids out. They can learn to control their opponent without punching/damaging the other kid. Gracie Bullyproof is where I'd start my kids if they were young again. Trying to talk my girlfriend into getting her kids going on it.

Eta- stupid autocorrect. I meant "Gracie" Bullyproof, as Darwin linked to a couple posts down.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

My brothers and my self started about 5-6 years old in taekwando. It was great especially for kids. We took for 7 years and made 2nd degree black belt decided. It teaches a lot of good fundamentals like "yes sir and yes Mam" and self discipline and most important self confidence. I recommend this but I'm sure there are going to be a million more answers. As for when he's older I would try something a little more serious like krav maga.

Here's the final answer

Gracie BullyProof - Training Programs

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
    That looks pretty interesting. They don't have many training locations, however. None near us.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    My brothers and my self started about 5-6 years old in taekwando. It was great especially for kids. We took for 7 years and made 2nd degree black belt decided. It teaches a lot of good fundamentals like "yes sir and yes Mam" and self discipline and most important self confidence. I recommend this but I'm sure there are going to be a million more answers. As for when he's older I would try something a little more serious like krav maga.
    I really wish there was a Krav Maga center near us. I would love to do Krav Maga just for myself, but apparently we live in the sticks..lol

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Martial arts teaches kids invaluable lifelong body mechanics and movement dynamics skills.

The primary caveat I see with kids is making sure they understand that just because they have acquired a particular belt level, does not mean they are necessarily capable of going out and about in the world and mixing it up with street hardened thugs who have been in fights and in and out of the joint half their lives.
    shooterX likes this.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Here's another vote for Jiu Jitsu. It's a good art because it allows a smaller, weaker person to defend themselves against a bigger, stronger person.
    Hoganbeg and DocPMD like this.

VIP Member
    Lima-- I know several different instructors (a few different arts) and have watched them work with kids, college age adults, and older folks like myself. I like the jujuitso stuff for kids because it can be mixed with gymnastics too to build flexibility, agility and balance. Really young pre-puberty kids maybe shouldn't be striking-- I'm concerned about
    fractures in the growth plates.

I will if you like talk to the folks I know and see what they all think BUT--- the most important thing is that the person be 1) able to work with kids; 2) is not a closet sex offender.

You also want the gym to be in a "wholesome" atmosphere. Some are, and some really are not for kids. The place I presently go to is absolutely not what
    some might call a "Christian" atmosphere. It ain't a Jewish or Moslem atmosphere either. It is definitely for big boys and rough women only.

There was a bad incident at one of the schools here a few years back and the owner spent two years in jail for his sexual misconduct with an underage student.
    I'd be certain to check the instructor's background, use your intuition, and hang around while lessons are being given. And watch out for tell tale signs.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Lima, I may be a bit prejudice in my recommendation, but I would find a school that teaches traditional Chinese Kenpo.

Years ago before Krav Maga became the rage here, I had an oppurtunity to try it out in Israel. I seriously believe much of Krav Maga came from Kenpo. In this style, you use alot of knees and elbows up close, and there are also take downs and some grappling.

Having said that, it depends on what style you favor. High beautiful kicks, I would go TKD. Grappling, I would go Juijitsu. Throws and holds, I would go Judo. Dirty, hardcore, and vicious street fighting, I would go Kenpo, or Krav Maga.

They are all good, but remember, a martial art, is first and formost a "war art".
    I believe this means a stand up fight art. Grappling is good and is great for a controlled environment , and has it's place in SD, however, if in a fight with someone, the last place I want to be is rolling on hard blacktop, tangled up with someone, while their buddy is hitting me in the head with an object, or worse.

Just something to consider.
    Hoganbeg and MinistrMalic like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I have done several martial arts as an adult. My daughter now 12 is going into her 3rd year of TKD. I am big fan of the traditional Korean martial arts for kids (taught by Koreans). They do a great job mixing the self defense, discipline, sport, self confidence, fun, tradition aspects of the martial arts. For an adult who wants more of a true self defense application something like Krav Magna or BJJ or boxing are probably the better ways to go than traditional martial arts. But for younger kids I like traditional (specifically Korean for me) MA's.

My son is a black-belt in Taekwondo, my daughter a brown. I can say without any doubt it is one the best investments I have made in their lives. The five tenets of Taekwondo: courtesy, integrity, perseverance,
    self-control, and indomitable spirit... are evident in my teens lives. They are also well trained in discipline, self defense and situational awareness.
    limatunes and Rock and Glock like this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    You also want the gym to be in a "wholesome" atmosphere. .... and hang around while lessons are being given. And watch out for tell tale signs.
    I would insist on being able to stay for the classes just so I could watch and be involved.

I'm doing some research right now to see what's available in my area and then what kind of kids programs they have.

Another vote for submission grappling for kids. Nix all the TKD, Krav Maga nonsense. Good luck.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
    Another vote for submission grappling for kids. Nix all the TKD, Krav Maga nonsense. Good luck.
    Why would you nix TKD?

Krav isn't even available in our area. There is some BJJ but their kid programs start at a little older ages. There is TKD EVERYWHERE around here which makes it very accessible to those of us who live a distance from things.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links