RIP Joe Paterno

This is a discussion on RIP Joe Paterno within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Legacy? Legand? Not in my opinion. In my opinion, him, along with that whole program has been a disgrace. Below is from the article of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: RIP Joe Paterno

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Legacy? Legand? Not in my opinion. In my opinion, him, along with that whole program has been a disgrace.

Below is from the article of Joepa's interview:

Even though Joe Paterno has not been charged with any crime and doesn’t expect to be. He does not admit, "I wish I had done more."

Source: The Washington Post
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
    PSU football was a huge money maker for the university. Who was PSU football? Paterno. The financial implications by default made him one of the most powerful people at the school.
    Which in turn made him a powerful man in State College, the entire state of PA and the strange cult like following of alumni. Still, JP was nothing more than a puppet. A great football coach no doubt, but I am sure he had instructions for his course of conduct.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Died in shame. Could have done more. No exceptions.

"Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking."

In this case, because of joe pa's lack of integrity, his legacy will not be the number of games won, but how many children were molested, raped and sodomized when he could have done something to stop it.
    AZJD1968 and Bark'n like this.

Gotta agree with Retsupt99 on this one.................Joe admitted he didn't do enough........ie. a confession IMO......soory this is the way it went south for him and his family, but these are kids involved here......thought more of Joe than that.

It's tough to judge someone over ten years of hearsay. One cannot help but show sympathy for those children, but that is not what this thread is about. Its about the death of a man. Perhaps we could express some sympathies for the family left behind.
    atctimmy likes this.

I agree with Retsupt. There are minimum legal responsibilities then there are moral and ethical responsibilities. Paterno met the first, but sadly ignored the second. As a 4-H Volunteer and a part-time employee of Ohio State University working with kids, I am well aware of my legal responsibilities in reporting suspected child abuse or molestation. But as a person whose passion it is working with kids, I also feel my moral and ethical responsibilities go above and beyond my legal responsibilities. Granted, Sandusky was not working for Joe at the time of the alleged abuses, but if he knew and only reported and did nothing to stop the actions or follow up to ensure that 1) the actions were stopped immediately by any means available, 2) the actions were not covered up, and 3) the perpetrator prosecuted then he is partially to blame for the consequences.

Joe Paterno was, arguably, the most powerful, and certainly the most influential man at Penn State. He could have and should have done more. While I have a certain degree of respect for him as a coach and a motivator, I have nothing but disdain for him as a man, and as a person to whom the lives of young men were entrusted.

I understand those for whom Paterno was a hero. And I feel a great degree of sympathy for those whom he let down. But I have a big problem canonizing a man who turned his back on a wretched situation at the institution at which he had so much power. He does not, in my opinion, deserve icon status.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

VIP Member
    Well, I guess we all have our own opinions of the man. My opinion is that he was an old man in over his head.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I think we can all agree Joepa was a great coach,BUT,this was a cover-up from the top down to protect the University,not a Penn fan,but I hate that this will ruin his legacy.

I have some empathy for the man considering his age and the generation he comes from, but not a lot of sympathy.

What we are talking about is child rape and that is a horrible and insidious crime. This has a lot of similarities in my opinion to the scandal which has rocked the Catholic church.

We have a terrible crime against vulnerable children and people in position of authority who are from an older generation and who likely do not fully understand the magnitude of the crime and therefore somewhat lacking in the veracity and diligence of how they pursue their responsibilities in reporting the crimes. There's no excuse for it, but I can see how it transpired.

Again, I have some empathy for how he got caught in the middle of it, but not a lot of sympathy. It's sad and tragic all the way around and a sad stain on his legacy. But that stain is nowhere near the scars left on the victims for the rest of their lives.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Joe seemed like a NICE guy,,,,, to NICE,,,,, he was conflicted between his loyalty
    to the school, his friend, and himself. He simply made a bad MISTAKE according
    to his own words. He just passed to some else and washed his hands of the whole
    thing. This will FOREVER tarnish his career. Fact is that he was aware of child abuse
    and did nothing to stop it. His own words says that.

Paterno told The Post. “And to be frank with you I don’t know that it would have
    done any good, because I never heard of, of, rape and a man. So I just did what
    I thought was best. I talked to people that I thought would be, if there was a
    problem, that would be following up on it.”

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    It's tough to judge someone over ten years of hearsay. One cannot help but show sympathy for those children, but that is not what this thread is about. Its about the death of a man. Perhaps we could express some sympathies for the family left behind.
    I feel bad for his family. After all, he died as a disgrace and left them a legacy of shame.
    AZJD1968 likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    "Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking."

In this case, because of joe pa's lack of integrity, his legacy will not be the number of games won, but how many children were molested, raped and sodomized when he could have done something to stop it.
    Excellent post!
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links