RIP Joe Paterno

RIP Joe Paterno

This is a discussion on RIP Joe Paterno within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As a life long PSU fan I was deeply saddened when the nuclear bomb of scandals rocked Penn State just a few months ago. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: RIP Joe Paterno

VIP Member

RIP Joe Paterno

As a life long PSU fan I was deeply saddened when the nuclear bomb of scandals rocked Penn State just a few months ago. I told my wife that this would probably kill JoePa. Sadly, I was right.

Joe Paterno passed away today from a combination of lung cancer, a broken pelvis and a broken heart.

I don't think we'll ever see another coach like him. It's just sad that a monster will forever be linked to his legacy of greatness.

RIP Joe. I'll miss you.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Rest easy Joe.

I hate to burst a bubble here, but what would you have done if you were a man of great stature, highly respected, in a position of great authority, and had many friends in high places...then you found out that a friend in your administration was in the shower with lots of little boys on many occasions?
    He did not act in a way that was reflective of a powerful man with true character. It's not like he was overlooking a bunch of unpaid parking tickets.
    Nuff' said...OMOYMV
    Bark'n, AZJD1968 and msgt/ret like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    So what you're saying Ret is that even though you weren't there, don't know what happened and haven't been privy to all of the details you've made up your mind. Frankly, I expect better from you.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

My 'opinion' is based upon Joe's own words...Joe Paterno admits he knew about Jerry Sandusky a decade ago - National Sports Celebrity | Examiner.com...
    If he suspected such behavior, he certainly did not try terribly hard to get to the bottom of the story. He let down a lot of little boys. Mr. Paterno did not commit any acts himself, but I conclude that he could have prevented additional "suspected abuse" 10 years prior.
    How anyone, upon hearing about a grown man/coach being in the shower with little boys 'dropping the soap', and not taking immediate and seriously strong action is beyond my thinking.
    I have worked in schools for 40 years, and if giving the information about a 'coach in the shower' under my charge, I would have made sure that the truth was sought out by the authorities and if confirmed, heads would have rolled.

In my own experiences, I have alerted Social Service Organizations to specific problems reported to me, when nothing seemed to be done (which can happen at times)...I followed through and made sure that those in 'higher' positions of authority also knew of alleged violations...then and only then were actions taken. Those in charge have a responsibility to see that actions are taken on serious matters involving children.

I would have expected more from Mr. Paterno.
    Again, this is just an opinion, I assume that others will either agree or disagree.
    I mean no disrespect to atctimmy, or others in this forum.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; January 23rd, 2012 at 12:18 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    We pause to consider "JoePa" on his passing. He has many successes in his life affecting for the better thousands of Americans.

The end of his life was tainted by a scandal involving people he was close to as coach of the PSU Nittany Lions.

The Penn State University Police Department, by state statute, on par with any bona fide municiple police department in the state and with more authority than many university police departments, has a report from their investigating Sandusky for sexual abuse of a child from 1998. Though no charges were filed, Sandusky retired in 1999, though Sandusky maintained PSU benefits to use gym facilities. In 2002, Coach Paterno reported his Assistant Coach McQueary's concerns about Jerry Sandusky to Gary Schultz, a senior vice president whose duties included oversight of the PSU Police Department. Soon, Coach Paterno saw a PSU police investigation moving forward involving McQueary and his concerns about Sandusky. The recent Grand Jury transcript shows discrepancy between what McQueary says he reported and what Coach Paterno understood.

IMO, JoePa, was powerful, but not all powerful, and did what he thought appropriate at the time and as facts came to light last year expressed regret that he didn't do enough. He doesn't sound different from anyone that I know. Better than most.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I have nothing good to say about anyone who knew what JP knew, knew it for as long as he did, & did as little about it as he did ... as a matter of fact ... I find it down right DISGUSTING!!!!
    AZJD1968 likes this.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

VIP Member
    Joe's own words from the article linked by Ret. What a monster!

He told me what he saw, and I said, what? He said it, well, looked like inappropriate, or fondling, I’m not quite sure exactly how he put it. I said you did what you had to do. It’s my job now to figure out what we want to do. So I sat around. It was a Saturday. Waited till Sunday because I wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing. And then I called my superiors and I said: ‘Hey, we got a problem, I think. Would you guys look into it?’ Cause I didn’t know, you know. We never had, until that point, 58 years I think, I had never had to deal with something like that. And I didn’t feel adequate.”

“So I backed away and turned it over to some other people, people I thought would have a little more expertise than I did. It didn’t work out that way.”

“You know, he didn’t want to get specific,” Paterno told The Post. “And to be frank with you I don’t know that it would have done any good, because I never heard of, of, rape and a man. So I just did what I thought was best. I talked to people that I thought would be, if there was a problem, that would be following up on it.”
    For all of you who think you would have done better I'll remind you that things are always clearer after the fact. Also don't forget that Joe was 75 years old at the time and Sandusky was no longer in any way subordinate to Joe Paterno. Do I think it's a tragedy? You bet I do, but I'm not blaming Joe. I'm blaming the people actually responsible.

I guess if I heard a little kid screaming. Called the police and reported it and never saw any blue lights flashing.....I'd look into it a little further.
    AZJD1968 and ErnieNWillis like this.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Joe said he wished he had done more...that's all I need to know. Great football coach, did a lot for PSU but his legacy will be forever tarnished.
    Last edited by Aiko; January 23rd, 2012 at 12:19 AM.

Sorry to the fans of Joe, the guy knew little kids were being molested & did not do very much to control the staff under his watch. Would the fans of Joe still be fans if it was their kids being molested?
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Good riddance to someone who protected a child molester for over a decade. Here's to hoping that his precious football program follows him.

VIP Member
    did not do very much to control the staff under his watch.
    ^^^ This is disinformation. At the time of the incident Sandusky had not been subordinate to Paterno for four years. Since I have ties to PSU I have followed this story closely since day one. The amount of misinformation out there makes me angry. Lots of people spewing opinion and not fact. AFTER the trial we will have the facts.

Sandusky was not on his staff when the allegations were made. Penn State allowed him to keep an office on campus (some sort of perk) but he didn't answer to Joe. He answered to Graham Spanier. Graham Spanier is the guy who was informed by Joe along with another individual in charge of the campus police force. THEY dropped the ball (or hid the facts because of the $$$$).

There are 44,000 students and 9,000 employees that come and go every day at PSU. Those of you who think Joe controlled the place are kidding themselves. He was a football coach, a good one. Nothing more.

Frankly, I think there is a very likely chance that Sandusky will be found not guilty. There just isn't any real evidence against him. The main witness McQuery has changed his tune so many times it's ridiculous. He will be butchered on the stand by the defense.

All this doesn't mean I think Sandusky is innocent mind you, it just means he was very careful and was good at covering his tracks.

I want to know what happened to the DA that initially investigated Sandusky 10 years or so ago. He went missing (never was found). His laptop with the investigation records was found at the bottom of a river with the hard drive missing.....mmmmmmm. Kind of creepy.

I am a native of Pittsburgh and know Jo Pa did a lot of good. But he did ultimately fail IMO. You may be right on Sandusky getting off, there may not be a strong evidence against him-it will come down to the testimony of the dozen plus boys who were assaulted/sodomized on the PSU campus, his home and hotels. He will get his due process.

As far a Paterno being nothing more than a coach and having no power- I think you are a little naive. PSU football was a huge money maker for the university. Who was PSU football? Paterno. The financial implications by default made him one of the most powerful people at the school.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    ^^^ This is disinformation. At the time of the incident Sandusky had not been subordinate to Paterno for four years. Since I have ties to PSU I have followed this story closely since day one. The amount of misinformation out there makes me angry. Lots of people spewing opinion and not fact. AFTER the trial we will have the facts.

Sandusky was not on his staff when the allegations were made. Penn State allowed him to keep an office on campus (some sort of perk) but he didn't answer to Joe. He answered to Graham Spanier. Graham Spanier is the guy who was informed by Joe along with another individual in charge of the campus police force. THEY dropped the ball (or hid the facts because of the $$$$).

There are 44,000 students and 9,000 employees that come and go every day at PSU. Those of you who think Joe controlled the place are kidding themselves. He was a football coach, a good one. Nothing more.

Frankly, I think there is a very likely chance that Sandusky will be found not guilty. There just isn't any real evidence against him. The main witness McQuery has changed his tune so many times it's ridiculous. He will be butchered on the stand by the defense.

All this doesn't mean I think Sandusky is innocent mind you, it just means he was very careful and was good at covering his tracks.

Justify it any way you want. Fact is that he was aware of child abuse and did not do everything he could to prevent it. Awareness of the situation was enough.

Joe may not have "controlled the place" but he sure as hell was a key player.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post

AZJD1968 likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links