Saw the most idiotic commercial yesterday... - Page 2

Saw the most idiotic commercial yesterday...

This is a discussion on Saw the most idiotic commercial yesterday... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My "Smart Phone" already has it. It's yet another reason I'm questioning the reason for calling it a "smart phone"!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Saw the most idiotic commercial yesterday...

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    My "Smart Phone" already has it. It's yet another reason I'm questioning the reason for calling it a "smart phone"!

My iPhone 4S is nice for driving, running, or biking. I just hit the home button or center button on the earbuds, and tell Siri who I want to text and what I want to say. I can have it read everything back to me to make sure it got the message right and can then read new texts to me.

Anybody know where I can get a bunch of those red/black typewriter ribbons? I don't get the whole "texting" thing at all.
    Dadsnugun and oakchas like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Anybody know where I can get a bunch of those red/black typewriter ribbons? I don't get the whole "texting" thing at all.
    Don't you just hate when the words come out bottom half red and top half black..? Miss those days, I do.
    Dadsnugun likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    Now that they've got speech to text messaging, I suppose the next innovation will be a text message to speech converter.

Then you'll be able to talk to each other without talking to each other and get all warm and fuzzy from whatever it is that makes people all warm and fuzzy by texting instead of talking??

That thought's probably got Alexander Graham Bell spinnin' over in his grave with logic
    They already have it. It acutally reads email messages and texts. (drivesafe.ly)

Quote Originally Posted by ayce2 View Post
    Already on my Android. My text messages read aloud to me, I speak to return the text.. Just make sure you answer to the right person. Recently told my best buddy I loved him!! Meant for the Lady with a similar name. He answered that he loved me too
    Came here for this. Speech to text has been on my android device for as long as I have owned it. I don't ever use it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I'm reminded of a cartoon I saw of two kids sitting side by side sending text messages to eachother.
    I do this too. Must be an age think.

Spoken text, and texting people next to me make perfect sense. Sometimes I don't want to have a conversation with someone but need to say something. Voice recognition just makes it hands free.

Texting people next to you is fun. Usually its a great conversation that shouldn't be said aloud.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I would be embarrassed to admit to owning or using such a device. "But bubba it's so high tech and cool and convenient". Bulldung

Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    One's still got to take one's eyes off the road to read it...plus, there's a little thing called Darwin, that I think we, as a society, are trying much too hard to circumvent.
    Apple's Siri will read incoming texts to you, and read your dictated texts back to you before asking if you want to send it, so it really is completely hands- and eyes-free. I can't speak for Androids, though.

You apparently haven't seen "Mo Money Taxes" or "Its All Good Auto Sales" commercials...but if you don't live in Memphis you don't get so lucky. You tube search it.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    texts work great when i only need info from someone like a dispatcher on a name i just ran, other than that, i prefer to talk for a conversation. So basically unless I just need info real quick from you, you get a phone call
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    You apparently haven't seen "Mo Money Taxes" or "Its All Good Auto Sales" commercials...but if you don't live in Memphis you don't get so lucky. You tube search it.
    I took your advice but I only saw an idiot who doesn't "care about your credit, I care about you". Sleazy for sure, but nothing about texting. Got a link to the one you meant?
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Quote Originally Posted by Maltz View Post
    Apple's Siri will read incoming texts to you, and read your dictated texts back to you before asking if you want to send it, so it really is completely hands- and eyes-free. I can't speak for Androids, though.
    Doesn't matter...sometimes us older folks just want to revel in our dislike of changing times and "newfangled" ways the same way you kids like to make fun of the old, time worn and proven ways that we know are the best. Eventually we'll get back to phones with cords on them, just look what's happening with record players.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I'm reminded of a cartoon I saw of two kids sitting side by side sending text messages to eachother.
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I do this too. Must be an age think.
    I realize it's a typo but seeing the word "think" used here just seems ironic.

Was standing in line at Subway one day - - A girl in front of us was texting her sister, who was standing behind her with their mother between them. I guess the girls didn't want mom to know what was going on.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links