Any Pipe Smokers?

Any Pipe Smokers?

This is a discussion on Any Pipe Smokers? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just curious, I picked up the habit again. I pulled out the collection, gave them a good complete restoration and I am back in business. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Any Pipe Smokers?

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar

Any Pipe Smokers?

Just curious, I picked up the habit again. I pulled out the collection, gave them a good complete restoration and I am back in business. I have to admit I like smoking pipes for many of the reasons I likle firearms, I am a tactile gadget guy.There's always another pipe to buy or some new accessory. Pipes can be cheaper (which allows you to collect more, LOL). I find it very relaxing to sit in front of the fire with a nice bourbon and enjoy a nice calm smoke. Forces me to slow down.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

No smoker here,but,am part of the "Pipe Hitters Union"(military reference),other members will know what i'm refering to.
    jerp likes this.

I as well, enjoy smoking a pipe, i started in college weird i know lol. I switched from cigs. Personally i like the better quality tobacco. And as you do the accessories and upgrades and better pipes are something always to be explored.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Back when I was in car sales... we used to call the engineers that came in from the local radio mfg company (maybe you heard of 'em? Collins Radio, now Rockwell Collins) Pipe Smokin' Summer Britches (or something close to that) They'd come in and tell us how to build Lincs and Mercs, but they bought weird stuff like Saabs and Volvos from dealers 100 miles away...

And I used to smoke a pipe when I was 14... and then I joined that (aforementioned) pipe hitters union for a bit... And graduated to cigs... and am quit finally.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Back when I was in car sales... we used to call the engineers that came in from the local radio mfg company (maybe you heard of 'em? Collins Radio, now Rockwell Collins) Pipe Smokin' Summer Britches (or something close to that) They'd come in and tell us how to build Lincs and Mercs, but they bought weird stuff like Saabs and Volvos from dealers 100 miles away...

And I used to smoke a pipe when I was 14... and then I joined that (aforementioned) pipe hitters union for a bit... And graduated to cigs... and am quit finally.
    That pipe hitters union definatly makes it hard to stop... lol
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Gave up pipe smoking over four decades ago...the tobacco was illegal! Never 'inhaled'.
    gunthorp likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ohhhhh lawd!!! YOU'LL NEVA GET NO WHERE SMOKIN THE PIPE!!
    RonCo and C hawk Glock like this.

I also enjoy packing a bowl by the fireplace or campfire.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I find it very relaxing to sit in front of the fire with a nice bourbon and enjoy a nice calm smoke. Forces me to slow down.
    Amen, brother. The pipes were ancient when I moved 8 years ago and I haven't picked up any new ones, but I see it coming. Some of my calmest moments were sitting by the fire with a pipe and some fine whiskey, with my bird dog at my feet after a full day afield with lots of flushes and bagged birds. ..
    Eaglebeak likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I do enjoy the smell of a good pipe tobacco and did try smoking a pipe some years ago but never did master the art of packing the bowl. Do you have any suggestions on packing the bowl in order to get the most enjoyment? My attempts either yield a bowl that will not draw or will not stay lit.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I do enjoy the smell of a good pipe tobacco and did try smoking a pipe some years ago but never did master the art of packing the bowl. Do you have any suggestions on packing the bowl in order to get the most enjoyment? My attempts either yield a bowl that will not draw or will not stay lit.
    Google it and there are a lot of good You Tube videos. I have found that the type of tobacco has considerable influence.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Although I didn't smoke them myself I used to catch the aroma of cigars and good pipe tobacco being smoked in public places and I always enjoyed it. That was back before those who know what's best for us made the rules that disallow those fragrances in public places.

VIP Member
    My neighbor had to quit smoking due to blood pressure problems. That sort of tobacco actually smells good to me. I do miss the smell wafting across my yard.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Never smoked a pipe. But, I do enjoy a good cigar.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Like gasmitty, my most enjoyable and relaxing times are spent out on the deck porch puffing my pipe and sipping a little good whiskey. However, I smoke my pipe frequently during the day without the whiskey since that's not so acceptable at work, driving, etc.

Cigarettes were doing me no good, so I switched to a pipe (that's not inhaled) a number of years ago; so I can still get my nicotine hit without doing my lungs any more damage while the smoke actually tastes very good and is seldom very offensive to non-smokers like cigarette or cigar smoke.

Yes, there is a practiced art of pipe smoking, and many people try a pipe and soon give it up because they're unaware of the way it must be packed in stages to stay lit and draw properly, gently puffed instead of trying to suck a golf ball through a garden hose, preventing moisture accumulation during smoking, how to draw without getting tongue bite, and the way to choose the particular type of tobacco blend to suit one's individual taste and degree of mildness (or strength) desired.

Starting with a good pipe and learning all about pipe smoking from many good YouTube videos is the key. Good puffin'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links