Lost my prized KaBar USMC Knife

Lost my prized KaBar USMC Knife

This is a discussion on Lost my prized KaBar USMC Knife within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, after forty years, my well used KaBar USMC didn't make it home with me from the hunting lease. I assume I lost it while ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Geezer

Thread: Lost my prized KaBar USMC Knife

Thumbs down Lost my prized KaBar USMC Knife

Well, after forty years, my well used KaBar USMC didn't make it home with me from the hunting lease. I assume I lost it while cleaning some hogs, but cannot remember exactly where I was when I was using it last. It's gone for sure. So, this morning I bought a replacement from Cheaper Than Dirt. For now, I'm not impressed. They put this horrible black spray paint on the blade, that is so thick, the KaBar name is nearly filled up. Any suggestions on how to remove this crap without harming the blade?? I'll bet it's nothing compared to the old one. I feel like I lost a best friend.
    QKShooter likes this.

Sorry that you lost your knife, it really sucks to lose a favorite tool...as far as the paint goes, simple paint stripper is the first thing that comes to my mind. Unless it's some kind of high tech carbon-teflon-polymer super coating, in which case I have no idea how to remove it.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Administrator
    I strip the Epoxy & baked on textured powder coatings off my using knives. Especially the ones doing double duty for food prep.
    The coatings scratch up and get nicked which allows places for various bacteria and other nasty stuff to reside which can and will transfer to food.

I use regular hardware store stripper. There is one that is blended for stripping Epoxy coatings that works pretty well.

I let the stripper do the work for me. I paint it on and then keep it wet with more stripper. After a while (times will vary) I use both very coarse steel wool and a new single edge razor blade to start getting the stuff off.

Some coatings are very solvent resistant and the stripper will just soften the surface of the coating. I hold the single edge razor blade straight up and down and shave off the surface in a scraping fashion. Then apply more stripper and repeat.

Eventually it will all come off. I stay away from the coating immediately ahead of the handle or guard since it doesnt hurt anything in that location.

You might have to pick the coating out of the roll marked ot stamped LOGO type areas.

After you get all of the paint coating off then steel wool the blade with steel wool wet with gun oil.

Or after the blade is stripped clean you can degrease it and warm it up with a hair blow dryer and Cold Blue and then FINE steel wool it -which will offer some rust protection but won't harbor bacteria as it just chemically treats the metal.

Anyway that's how I get the junk off. Others may have different suggestions.

VIP Member
    I can certainly empathize, Geezer. My KaBar was issued to me, I made a leather sheath for it, and used it for several years in hazardous duty where it gained scars and stories that I hoped to pass on to my son someday.

It was stolen.

Almost thirty years later, I still will occasionally have a dream that I find it. I've thought about replacing it, but it's just not the same.

I bought mine at Camp Pendleton in '88 and it spent a lot of time in grunt service. It's too valuable to me so it sits in my safe.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

You sure you weren't playing poker and forgot you lost it in the game
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I strip the Epoxy & baked on textured powder coatings off my using knives. Especially the ones doing double duty for food prep.
    The coatings scratch up and get nicked which allows places for various bacteria and other nasty stuff to reside which can and will transfer to food.

I use regular hardware store stripper. There is one that is blended for stripping Epoxy coatings that works pretty well.

I let the stripper do the work for me. I paint it on and then keep it wet with more stripper. After a while (times will vary) I use both very coarse steel wool and a new single edge razor blade to start getting the stuff off.

Some coatings are very solvent resistant and the stripper will just soften the surface of the coating. I hold the single edge razor blade straight up and down and shave off the surface in a scraping fashion. Then apply more stripper and repeat.

Eventually it will all come off. I stay away from the coating immediately ahead of the handle or guard since it doesnt hurt anything in that location.

You might have to pick the coating out of the roll marked ot stamped LOGO type areas.

After you get all of the paint coating off then steel wool the blade with steel wool wet with gun oil.

Or after the blade is stripped clean you can degrease it and warm it up with a hair blow dryer and Cold Blue and then FINE steel wool it -which will offer some rust protection but won't harbor bacteria as it just chemically treats the metal.

Anyway that's how I get the junk off. Others may have different suggestions.

I did just what was advised, and it worked great - thanks to all for the help. That stuff was on THICK!!! I guess I put six coats of the stripper on before it all came off. Unfortunately, the new one has no "honor marks", thus no personality - yet. It will outlast me for sure. Someday, someone will find the old one, and never know the wonderful memories etched in it's history. So sad to lose a friend.

Go back up there with a metal detector and find that bad boy!

Quote Originally Posted by l1a1 View Post
    Go back up there with a metal detector and find that bad boy!
    Actually, it's on a 2000 acre ranch criss-crossed with countless ranch roads. I was running my hog traps, and they're scattered all over the place. Finding it will be by accident, unless it shows up at one of the cleaning areas. I'm embarrassed to say, this is not the first time I've pulled this stupid stunt. About four years ago, I laid a stainless Ruger Blackhawk, holster and belt on the tailgate, and it went missing. Three years later, I found it partially buried in a cattle trail. It had been exposed to everything, yet with a LOT of cleaning, it turned out fantastic shape - the leather didn't fare as well. I don't pay close enough attention to what I'm doing, obviously. AGE.

Dam, sorry to hear that. Impossible to replace thats for sure. Was also thinking about the metal detector till you said 2000 acres.
    Hopefully you will find it when you least expect to.

Administrator
    Yepper...sorry that you lost that treasured knife Geezer.
    I remember when my CASE XX 337 Mil Fighting knife went bye-bye. That sure does hurt to lose a favorite knife.
    Mine would have been exactly like the top one.

My Condolences.

Sponsored Links