That crazy NYC gunman that claimed to be a SEAL... Guess what?

This is a discussion on That crazy NYC gunman that claimed to be a SEAL... Guess what? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; NYC Police Throw Navy SEAL Into Psych Ward for Claiming A Virginia man claimed to be a Navy SEAL to talk his way out of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: That crazy NYC gunman that claimed to be a SEAL... Guess what?

NYC Police Throw Navy SEAL Into Psych Ward for Claiming…He’s a SEAL

NYC Police Throw Navy SEAL Into Psych Ward for Claiming

A Virginia man claimed to be a Navy SEAL to talk his way out of a gun possession arrest on Thursday, and the New York Police Department committed him**to a psych ward thinking his claims of elite military status were the rantings of a lunatic.

Turns out the guy was in fact an elite Navy SEAL.

But as the New York Post put it, telling the NYPD "I'm in an elite military unit, you can't arrest me," doesn't help much when the city's draconian gun laws are at issue.

Twenty-nine-year-old Shaun Day was on a leave from his duty as a Navy SEAL duty when cops nailed him for running a red light in Manhattan, New York on Thursday.

NYPD officers searched Day's pickup truck and found a 9mm semiautomatic pistol and three magazines full of ammo.

During the arrest, police claim Day was babbling incoherently and repeatedly claimed that he was an elite Navy SEAL with “top- secret clearance,” but was unable to provide any documentation for police.

After getting shipped off to the psych ward, sources told The Post the Navy sent staffers to talk to Day in Bellevue Hospital, where he was undergoing a psychiatric evaluation. According to Gothamist:

"He was released [Friday] in their care, and they were going to treat him for post-traumatic stress. All charges against Day have been deferred, and it's unclear how he was able to prove his status."

So far, the charges against Day of weapons possession and a traffic violation have been deferred.

Over the past few months, other out-of-towners, however, including a former marine, have been arrested for illegal gun possession in New York and face years in prison despite pleas for leniency.

2. Remove Ads

Thinking that his current employment status is going to get him out of a gun charge in NYC? Definitely time for a psych eval. Unless he has creds on him and written orders authorizing him to carry that weapon the fact that he is a SEAL means precisely squat under the law.

ETA: Fastest way to talk yourself into handcuffs? "You can't arrest me......"
    Hopyard likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Any street beater would know that a SeAL,Recon Marine,CAG,or any other "Elite",is not going to have any verification on him,and it can be quite hard to get it verified sometimes,BUT,the SeAL should have just set back and let his "Command"make that phone call,this very thing happened to our team in NYC,seen our out of state tag and it was on,we were headed to Pathfinder Operations in NY,and they pulled us over,even with all our credintials on hand they thought they were going to detain us,HA!!!,got the phone call made and it was over,I've about decided that when I flush my toilet ,it now goes to NYC,not Memphis.
    mook012 likes this.

Hate to break the news to you Glockrocker but the only reason they let you go is they decided to let you go. There is that whole civil authority over the military constitutional issue going on. Your command can call them and say "pretty please, let them go," but they were under no obigation to. The only folks that can order the police to let someone go wear black robes and are addressed as "your honor".
    Hopyard likes this.

Mcp, I think active duty military are exempted. The seal was on leave and not on govt business. That may be the difference.

What the heck is wrong with New York City? Are they even a part of the United States of America?

These stories should be a wake up call for people planning to visit the Big Apple to maybe change their plans because of their insane firearms law.

It really isn't about the law, it's most likely about the money.They can impose a hefty fine and the threat of jail time will encourage any who "break" their law to cough it up.

I feel sorry for the firearm friendly folks held hostage by this nonsense. Make me want to never ever travel to NYC.
    Inspector71, DC and noway2 like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I'm more interested in how they came to legally search his car over running a red light.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Any street beater would know that a SeAL,Recon Marine,CAG,or any other "Elite",is not going to have any verification on him,and it can be quite hard to get it verified sometimes,BUT,the SeAL should have just set back and let his "Command"make that phone call,this very thing happened to our team in NYC,seen our out of state tag and it was on,we were headed to Pathfinder Operations in NY,and they pulled us over,even with all our credintials on hand they thought they were going to detain us,HA!!!,got the phone call made and it was over,I've about decided that when I flush my toilet ,it now goes to NYC,not Memphis.
    We always had some type of orders if we had to travel officially somewhere with firearms for training. In another large city(not gun friendly) we had coordination with local law enforcement ahead of time with a card and phone number to the LEO POC.
    But if this guys was tlking like he was I can see him getting hauled off.
    Funny thing is, whether you are with CAG or a in a Quartermaster company, on your own time, who carries anything on them proving what unit they are with or what creds they have? You just got your ID proving your in the military.

Navy Seal or not, he was on leave and therefore has no right to carry in NYC. Hasn't there been enough publicity lately about NYC that people ought to know better? Let me say this... I will never set foot in the state of NY.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Tkruf come down and see what you are missing I will cover your back.

Active Duty military, when on orders to be armed, are exempt from ALL state laws regarding weaponry. In my experience, members of many of those "elite" units are under orders to be armed at all times.

The question will be whether this guy was supposed to be armed (according to his command)..
    Hopyard likes this.

From New York Penal Law 265.20 regarding exemptions from other related weapons laws:
    (d) Persons in the military or other service of the United States, in
    pursuit of official duty or when duly authorized by federal law,
    regulation or order to possess the same.
    Don't believe for a second that someone just saying they are under orders is going to cut it. With out written signed orders that can be verified, MP or CID type credentials, or a state of martial law claiming to be allowed to carry off post is a non starter.

We routinely had people claiming to be CIA or some other alphabet agency or some elite military unit that could carry off post. The bad news for them is that on top of the supervisors console was a big three ring binder. That binder had the phone numbers and NLETS contact information for the duty officers for all of the alphabet agencies, the local military posts, and assorted pentagon offices. If you were authorized we could verify it in under twenty minutes.

Very very few people were authorized. Frequently the conversation ended by one of us telling the duty officer where their guy was going, what the charges were, and if he was in an agency vehicle which tow company had their car.

I guess we'll have to see just how far up the 'chain of command' this SEAL's friends go...
    mkh likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    He must have been a young one.
    One more seasoned would have known to chill out, keep his mouth shut, and make one phone call to the one that could have got him out of trouble.

Arguing with the cops, identifying yourself as a member of a Team and bragging about your credentials could get you canned from the program that you claimed to be a member of.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

That crazy NYC gunman that claimed to be a SEAL... Guess what?

Man busted on gun possession really is a Navy SEAL - NYPOST.com

His story about being a Navy SEAL wasn’t so fishy after all.
    The Virginia man arrested for gun possession in Manhattan Thursday and thrown in a psych ward when he claimed to be a member of the elite military unit but couldn’t provide proof was telling the truth, The Post has learned.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links