Dollar General and robberies

This is a discussion on Dollar General and robberies within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; For those of you especially in the southeast, you probbably have a Dollar General somewhere near your home or work. During the recent holiday months ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By WHEC724
  • 2 Post By barstoolguru
  • 4 Post By adric22

Thread: Dollar General and robberies

For those of you especially in the southeast, you probbably have a Dollar General somewhere near your home or work. During the recent holiday months I have noticed robberies at every one of these stores in my county have increased. During this past weekend the Dollar General down the street from my job was robbed at gunpoint......again.
    I don't know about every location but for most D.G stores I have been in there happens to be a very noticeable focal point behind their counter. THE SAFE! Its out there in the open for all to see. They don't even try to keep it a secret.
    Now I know many people here have safes in their homes. Some of you have downright beautiful safes that im sure you enjoy. I highly doubt that as a responsible safe and home owner, you brag about and broadcast the fact you have a safe filled with expensive valuables sitting in your home. To do so would be stupid and would invite criminals to steal your possessions and threaten your safety.

So is it just me or is this company constantly risking their employees safety by not doing something better to conceal their stores safe or eliminate it all together?

Wouldnt happen to be located in a county im southeastern nc would it?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I think the big safe in front for all to see serves several purposes.
    There's no secret where it is, so there's no need to take the cashier into the 'back room' looking for something.
    There is usually an understood sign on it that the cashier CANNOT open it...and the dirtbag certainly cannot open it either.
    This establishes the clear fact that the only money leaving the store is the small amount in the safe...grab it and GO!
    Is this a good idea? Well, it protects the store's money, but the cashier is at the mercy of the dirtbag.
    They ought to add a gun and training to the cashier's resume', but we all know that that's not going to happen.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Dollar General is several steps down from a Walmart. There's something about them that attracts the worst forms of life imaginable. It would be an interesting case study to learn what the magic ingredient is... Is it the safe out front? Or maybe the location of the store? Its management?

I've never been in one that didn't make my skin crawl.
    noway2 likes this.

There's something about them that attracts the worst forms of life imaginable
    don't be talking about my wife like that............just kidding
    WHEC724 and Guest1 like this.

I don't care much for those stores. I've been in them a few times, my wife likes to shop for "junk" in those places. Not sure why. I have also noticed a higher percentage of shoppers in there are the dregs of society as compared to other stores, even Wal-Mart. I can't quite figure out the appeal because most of the stuff I've looked at actually costs more than at Wal-Mart and the selection is very poor.

So I'd venture to guess it is a combination of issues attracting the thieves. Lets face it, if I had to chose between robbing a Wal-Mart or a Dollar General (well, in the traditional style of robbing where you go in with a weapon and demand money) I would pick the Dollar General for sure. It is smaller, fewer employees, fewer customers, usually located in bad part of town where police presence is less, etc. Heck, last time I was in one of those places, I think I was the only one in the store. So, definitely an easy target compared to a larger store.
    Guest1, WHEC724, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Generally they charge more than a dollar,I only frequent the "Dollar" store where everything is a Dollar,and there is a little classier form of us po peeple
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    That way the armored car personnel can get in and out quicker and on to safer areas.

With robberies of these types of business, it is really a matter of opportunity. They are quick and easy targets very much like a convienient store robbery.

The thugs don't want to get caught or spend a whole lot of time getting what they came for, mostly cash out of the register. Thugs like easy prey and these places fit the bill.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Maybe I have an unusual concern for the safety of honest working people. I have to wonder why the decision makers of this company don't make some decisions on improving safety for their employees. Something like closing earlier. Maybe moving their safe or putting a cabinet door over it. Or, committing corporate blasphemy and spending profit$ on armed security (like Sizemore), or hiring LEO's for special detail.
    I know everybody needs a job but I hope none of the members here have to work at DG.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Every DG I have ever seen fits the descriptions above. I interpret this as they deliberately doing something to attract a particular demographic and caliber of clientele. If my assertion is correct, then they have undoubtedly weighed the costs and benefits and have made a conscious decision on the level and type of security desired. Every DG I have been into also has lots of high shelves stacked with junk, er, merchandise and are very disorganized. This creates a certain psychological effect in that it allows the customers a greater sense of privacy, which may encourage the legitimate shoppers, but it also provides an opportunity for theft.

I also agree with Whec724, there is something about the atmosphere in them that makes my skin crawl.

I have a friend that used to be an assistant manager at a Dollar General, and I work for a company that has poached workers from Dollar General before. The biggest problem that DG has (and they have a lot) is that they are constantly understaffed. They don't try to replace employees who quit. When my friend was hired she was one of twelve workers, by the time she left there had been three people working the entire store for months. Upper management would not let them hire new workers. It's hard for an employee to care about the store/ taking steps to prevent a robbery when they are working 60+ hours a week by themselves.

Links