In need of suggestions/opinoins what to do?

This is a discussion on In need of suggestions/opinoins what to do? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok so here is my deal, I currently live with 2 roommates. Both of them were graduates of the military academy we all attended. 1.) ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Guest1
  • 1 Post By atctimmy
  • 1 Post By SIXTO

Thread: In need of suggestions/opinoins what to do?

In need of suggestions/opinoins what to do?

Ok so here is my deal, I currently live with 2 roommates. Both of them were graduates of the military academy we all attended. 1.) Was one of my platoon leaders when i was a CO. Needless to say he is literally like a brother, we know each others everymove. Comes in handy when in public as we both CC, so god forbid someone tries to rob a place we are in. The other graduated 2 years before I. He is from south korea and this is where the problem is.....

When he graduated, i still had 2 years at the academy. Well fast forwarding 2 years, i went to a big time engineering school here in Milwaukee, and upon arriving and placed in a room on the first floor, at a floor meeting i ran into him again, we have been good friends since. Well the engineering school screwed him over and didnt give him the 12 credits and he had to leave. Shortly after he was able to get his school visa reinstated and came back. I was his only friend who would respond, and was looking for a roommate at the time worked out perfect. He started to go back to school, shortly after we had to move as my lease was up. Not to mention we both decided that the increase in rent to $1500 was not worth that place.
    After we moved he had to take the bus more and i can understand his consern on this, as riding the bus through the bad part of town unable to protect himself. I couldnt give him a ride, and he cannot get a car as he doesnt exactly have a drivers license, he quit going to school. Well it has been close to a year now since he quit going. He has just been sitting at home, and he pays his share of the bills so i am ok with that.
    He was lying to his parents, saying he was still in school because he didnt want to go back to korea. In korea once a "kid" turns 18 its mandatory that they serve 2 years in the South Korean Army. Well he has been here going to school since he was like 13. He even lied and said that he was reenrolled for a new year and they sent $15k for a new semester.
    Well yesterday, he gets an email from his parents, that they got a letter from the Dept. Of The South Korean Army, asking for proof of being in school. He cannot prove anything, and im afraid our government will come looking for him. Will his "papers"have expired if he was here on a student visa, and because he hasnt been in school for over a year be good? Last time it took 15 days for him to get a letter from our government, saying he had to leave. He has been talking about either getting married, or running and hiding.

I do not want to get caught for "adding an Illegal" or something along that line.

Recommendations will be greatly accepted.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

2. Remove Ads

If he values your freindship,he would'nt put you in that sit.Futhermore they will charge you with harbering an Illegal,it's their descretion on that,but it is a Federal charge,he need's to get back to school,or back to S.K.,omo.
    Dadsnugun likes this.

Glockrocker is right on. A good friend will stay a good friend, no matter what and you should maintain your integrity.

VIP Member
    It's not your problem. You do what is right and let the chips fall where they may.
    RMS likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I don't know about the military academy that you guys went to, but at least at West Point, they don't tolerate lying, cheating or covering up for someone who does. I realize he's your friend, but being his friend, I would advise him to come clean and clear matters up. They will only get worse with time. There is that little matter called character and honor involved in everything that one does in life. You take it with you to the grave.
    Hope all turns out well..
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Ok update, first it was a military school (7-12 grade), second i called immigration last year and again today, they have documented proof that i havent been hiding anything. Second she told me to get away from him as he is an illegal and i can still be arrested because im there, and would need proof i am not hiding anything. Thirdly, he has a violent past, and if confronted i dont want him coming after me, especially having to shoot a friend who is just pissed and over racting trying to come at me, he has beat up people for much much less. He made it clear he doesnt wanna leave US of A. But i will be contacting police to send a unit when i confront him. Secondly, i have notified my military unit as to what has been going on. Thirdly hopefully after talking to my SSG. It will cover my but, stating whats going on should anything happen, ex. Arrested defending myself what have you.... this is one hell of a predicament
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Administrator
    I refer you to classic wisdom of Sgt. Schultz;

Hopyard likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Based on what you have said here, I would write this one off. He sounds like the type that give immigrants a bad name. He's violent, here illegally, and has no problem lying, even to his family. Steer clear, my friend.
    We probably have all chosen friends that we wish we had not. All you can do is make sure YOU are not one of those whom others wish they had avoided. Follow your conscience, and it sounds like you are doing what you can to keep yourself from falling into the mess he's heading for. Good luck!
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Well after calling:
    1.) ICE
    2.)local LEO
    3.)state DOJ
    4.)lawyer
    5.) Landlord (pending return call/ everything rests on her)
    6.) Squad leader in Army
    7.) Korean embassy

The options i am left with:
    1.) Stay outta my own apartment till he leaves
    2.) Stay there and risk getting arrested for harboring, even though i am the one whos reporting him!

And why i cant comfront him, hes big compared to me, and very agressive. He screwed me over big time, because of his own laziness. And if he gets pissed and comes at me with a kinfe for example, i defend myself, boom arrested for domestic violence. Bye bye guns an ccw. So till then i have to move outta my own home.

Moral of is, if your friends are proper visitors, for school, work, or whatever, they can screw you over good!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    IANAL but I doubt roommates qualifies as domestic violence. If it's justified, it doesn't count either. Lets hope and plan that it doesn't come to that!

Hmmm... a Korean that is bigger than you? Pics or it ain't true!

I think your friend needs to man up and start learning how to cadence in his native language.

It also seems like you're getting some odd advice about becoming homeless to avoid a harboring charge, but heck stranger things have happened.

Good luck!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    I wrote a very long e-mail and then decided a much shorter version is necessary.

I think you are over worrying yourself about the whole business. If you want authoritative advice on what constitutes harboring
    an illegal, and when such instances are actually prosecuted, consult someone more knowledgeable than the clerk you likely spoke with when you made that phone call to immigration. There is a huge difference between harboring someone and merely living in the same space, and not snitching. And you are covered it seems since you already spoke up.

If Uncle prosecuted every citizen who harbors their illegal relative we'd be out of jail space. This country is full of households which contain some citizens, some lawful immigrants and some illegals.

And as for the snitching, you don't actually know a thing about his status. Even if he told you something, it could be lies.

It isn't your problem.

Instead of letting it eat you up, make plans to move at the most expedient and convenient time for you to do so.

An upset you, and upset room-mate, guns, tempers, desperation, feelings of betrayal, will not add up to a good outcome.

Either make like Sargent Schultz or move.

As for this: "im afraid our government will come looking for him" Probably not on the say so of the Korean Army. Maybe on the say so of the school telling them he dropped out. So? Why is it your business? You are his room mate. You aren't providing him with support. You aren't hiding him in your basement. I think you are over reacting.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I'd contact the S Korean authorities and advise them he is shirking his military duty,bet they get him deported asap
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'd contact the S Korean authorities and advise them he is shirking his military duty,bet they get him deported asap
    Really? First their paper pushers would have to decide it was worth bothering with. Then their equivalent of our State Department would have to send a formal request to our Embassy. Then it would have to get pushed up to "legal" somewhere to maybe look into the request. Some investigator would have to check on the truthfulness of the complaint, check all the records, make sure no other factor is involved. And finally, someone would have to locate him and arrest him--on what? Overstaying a student visa? Avoiding SK military service? I'm sure it is a crime in SK, but do you really think he would be extradited for that?
    Maybe. I don't know. I'm skeptical. Highly skeptical. And, it is none of the OP's business to concern himself with the guy's status in SK.

Let's not live in fantasy world here. Our OP is overreacting. His concerns are understandable but a tad melodramatic. Frankly I'd want to be rid of the guy as a room mate though as the SK guy sounds nuts.

I just think getting our government involved on either the basis of the OPs initial inquiry, or even a SK inquiry, will not likely happen. There are just too many other really bad situations that will take priority.

Our OP is not his roommates keeper. The guy's lies to his parents are not the OP's business. His visa overstay-- if even factually accurate-- is only the OP's concern if he chooses to make it his concern. The OP doesn't seem to have broken any law, has done his little bit by making the inquiries he has made, and now should move on with his life. No confrontation with the roommate. No attempt to get him evicted. MYOB applies as per the excellent advice offered by Sixto with the Sargent Schultz flick.

The part of the whole post that concerns is that the OP seems fearful of his SK room mate. Solution, move out before something bad happens.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Links