Doomsday preppers National geo !

This is a discussion on Doomsday preppers National geo ! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; One girl was shooting and she thought an AR-15 would be a good choice. I'll take a reliablility over accuracy. AK for a shtf situation. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Doomsday preppers National geo !

One girl was shooting and she thought an AR-15 would be a good choice. I'll take a reliablility over accuracy. AK for a shtf situation.

What these people don't realize is that you need to be able to survive with the bare minimum. If you can make your own shelter, start a fire,hunt/gather food, have drinkable water and protect yourself, you are good. No need for all that extra crap that can be destroyed or left behind if you have to evacuate. Live off the land, it will provide if you know what to do.

Les Stroud has a better chance of surviving than these people.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

I think the ar is plenty reliable if you take the time to know about working on then a little. If it wasn't I don't think the government would issue it for as long as it has. I have preps and i feel there is nothing wrong with this. If you bug in you will have a comfortable life although I do agree that it is invaluable to learn the land as well. But of course I hunt non stop and love camping and what not. But I prep not just for teotwawki but for personal disaster as well. Played off from work or broke....we are more likely to face this then any other disaster.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I watched the first one. I kept expecting Penn and Teller to make an appearance at any time.

Administrator
    It was a decent show. I got some really good laughs, and there was some interesting ideas too.
    paching likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It was a decent show. I got some really good laughs, and there was some interesting ideas too.
    +1 on that.

Just a few things I noticed;

1. The bullet proof compund made out of trailers has all those shelves packed to the edge with glass canning jars. I can see about 10,000 pounds of mess on the floor with the slightest tremor from any number of events. PUT UP SHELF RAILS MAYBE ?

2. The girl with the cats... In a true SHTF situation the walking route to her "long gone or drained" truck looks like a bit more than she can chew.

3. The apple juice canning, self sufficient group is a bit naive about what would be lurking about their little commune (even during non SHTF times). Maybe just a little bit less flower power and a little more fire power.

4. The weed eater had some good ideas but hitting a bird on the wing with a "David killed Goliath" sling is something that may take a few years of practice to accomplish. Get a shotgun or even a regular sling shot (Wrist Rocket-Whammo.)

But all in all interesting and informative.

OMO

bosco
    JDE101, TomEgun, mano3 and 1 others like this.

Watched both and will watch again. Agree with boscobeans on his review. Wife and I have a cache and the typical bug out or bug in plans. Till this show I had never thought about the bee idea. Sounds like a good thing now and even if. The barter senario I thought was a little lame. If SHTF I don't think I would allow strangers to come into my space for trade. Kinda like the old 60's nuclear drill of "be a turtle and stay alive". Also maybe I'm missed something, but wouldn't the waste generated by all the jars and cans be a giveway to your location? I know you can bury it, but there would still be signs that you have stuff others didn't and they would want it. Guess the piles of Russian brass around my area would also be a tell tale sign, and zombie bodies.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Administrator
    They hippies cracked me up, especially the 'fro'ed guy. I think he was growing some "non edibles" in his garden. I actually think they have they right idea, minus their stupid hippy mentality.

The retired couple with the shipping container house- way extreme but pretty cool ideas.

The fat lady who likes to cook; wow... I think she is more afraid of running out of food than rapture, nuke war or anything else. Their secret handshakes and house clearing made me laugh my butt off.

The cat girl was just plain old stupid. I was glad to hear she joined the military at the end- she needs a double dose of reality.

Weed eater.... he has some good ideas and knowledge, but I think he is really naive to human nature and reality.
    JDE101 and TomEgun like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I gotta agree with Sixto. Thought the two shows were interesting and will watch the next ones as well. Saw a couple of good ideas--and some rather naieve ones as well.

I'm glad NatGeo reruns them later on at night after the 9 and 10 pm slots. I'm not going to miss NCIS LA, Unforgettable, and Justified for "Preppers"!

At my age, if the SHTF I'm too old to go hiking off to the boonies with my wife. I'm going to just have to hunker down here at home and shoot any zombies that try to break in.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    I love the folks who tested how bullet proof their house was with a.22lr. test that sucker with 7.62X39 and see how she holds up! I also got a kick out of the chubby cooking lady teaching martial arts. She needs to wrestle with a salad.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I love the folks who tested how bullet proof their house was with a.22lr. test that sucker with 7.62X39 and see how she holds up! I also got a kick out of the chubby cooking lady teaching martial arts. She needs to wrestle with a salad.
    Yeah... 22lr at a 100 feet at the strongest (thickest) portion of the structure that would protect nobody from gunfire anyway.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I may need to tune in to the next one.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogertc1 View Post
    Well 12-21-20012 is the end.
    Well, that gives me 18,000 years. Guess I needn't worry too much...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    The other thing that made me wonder a little was how these people allowed this to consume their lives. I'm all for making reasonable preparations etc., but good grief. They have given up a large portion of their lives prepping for what may or may not even happen.
    Crescentstar and JDE101 like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    The couple in the shipping container house. If either didn't have to convince the other and they both thought this was a good idea then these two are definitely meant for each other. I can understand stocking up on some things (ammo, water & MREs) but what they are doing is way out there. If our poles do flip and the SHTF, well then I guess it is probably just our time and no use fighting it and take it as comes and make the best of it.

I got a laugh out of the guy that would wait for the BG's to fall asleep and cut their throats. Those hippies need to check the news....bartering, that's wishfull thinking.
    TomEgun and ZX9RCAM like this.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links