Carrying anything I need to know about?

This is a discussion on Carrying anything I need to know about? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by mlr1m No right to remain silent? Michael Are you committing a crime that you need to remain silent about? Would saying something ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Carrying anything I need to know about?

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    No right to remain silent?

Michael
    Are you committing a crime that you need to remain silent about? Would saying something incriminate you?

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
    You do have the right to remain silent, but do you really want to bring that hassle on yourself? Your refusal to answer certainly stirs up questions to the officer and as a result may well grant just cause for search without a warrant.

I also need to explain in Missouri our castle doctrine extends to your car. You do not need to have a CCW to conceal in your car. That is why I stated that if the officer asks specifically if you have any weapons in the car you need to inform. It is likely they will do nothing as a result.

Part of informing on the front end is that it takes the element that you may be a threat out of the equation. What is there to be threatened by if you are assisting the officer in an investigation by being non-threatening and answering all questions truthfully?
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

2. Remove Ads

No duty to inform in Washington, but you have to have a permit to submit if asked... I practice not answering the question "do you have any weapons on your person today" ,

I think this is kind of overblown. It's a question to get guilty people off guard and incriminate themselves voluntarily. If your state requires you to inform that you are carrying a concealed deadly weapon, do so. If your state requires you inform that you are carrying a meth lab in your trunk then you are on your own. :)
    mlr1m and SIXTO like this.

You do have the right to remain silent, but do you really want to bring that hassle on yourself? Your refusal to answer certainly stirs up questions to the officer and as a result may well grant just cause for search without a warrant.
    Agreed, some police might feel obligated to break the law by preforming an illegal search. Most however would not do this.

I think this is kind of overblown. It's a question to get guilty people off guard and incriminate themselves voluntarily.
    Spot on. Exactly what my friends in law enforcement have told me.

Michael

Had one ask me "Anything in your car that might hurt me?"

I knew what he was doing (fishing, but in a somewhat humorous manner designed to catch people off-guard), but it was such an odd question that it was all I could do to stifle my smart-alec side ("Well, there's this really pointy mechanical pencil here...").

The fact that we feel the need to disclose this information to an LEO is bologna. Yes we all respect and appreciate what LEO's do for us, but im sure they aren't worried about law abiding CCW's. Remeber your rights and act accordingly while supporting LEO's. If you are doing something illegal then you deserve whatever punishment is appropriate...if not..pleeed da fiffff
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Are you committing a crime that you need to remain silent about? Would saying something incriminate you?

I also need to explain in Missouri our castle doctrine extends to your car. You do not need to have a CCW to conceal in your car. That is why I stated that if the officer asks specifically if you have any weapons in the car you need to inform. It is likely they will do nothing as a result.

Part of informing on the front end is that it takes the element that you may be a threat out of the equation. What is there to be threatened by if you are assisting the officer in an investigation by being non-threatening and answering all questions truthfully?
    Just to be really clear, insisting on one's constitutional rights NEVER contributes to probable cause. Does it contribute to cops really really wanting to search you? Of course. Will they get away with it? Probably. Would it be a legal search? No.
    mlr1m likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links