Carrying anything I need to know about?

This is a discussion on Carrying anything I need to know about? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The other night I was out on a ride along with a LEO friend of mine when this came up. During a stop he asked ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Carrying anything I need to know about?

The other night I was out on a ride along with a LEO friend of mine when this came up. During a stop he asked the driver if he had anything in the vehicle that my friend needed to know about. I pointed out to him that if he had stopped me earlier that same day I would have answered no to that question. I told him that while I was carrying a moderate amount of black powder, under ten pounds, I would not consider that to be anything he needed to know about.

Now its not surprising to me that he agreed with my point of view. Its a legal product that I am transporting to another location. Therefore there is no need for him to know about it. It does not put him in any danger.

He told me that in his opinion he was trained to ask that question as a way to get people to voluntarily give up information that could incriminate them. When asked this question what exactly is required? I'm sure that what a LEO feels he needs to know is quite different from what I think he needs to know.

Michael

I don't think anything is really required unless you are carrying concealed and have the burden of informing. I think it's just a standard line of questioning designed to elicit information voluntarily. Seems like a very smart move.

I got pulled over recently and the officer caught sight of the missing key cylinder from the ignition. Long story but the cylinder locked up and had to be drilled out and removed. I haven't been able to successfully rekey the replacement ignition yet and have been starting it with a screwdriver. The officer asked me if my name was Joe Johansen when he knew my name was really Joe Jones. I'm sure it was just a method that if I responded yes he knew something was fishy and I probably had stolen the car. No biggy. Just them doing thier job using methods that have provided positive results. Kind of like opening with Do you know why I stopped you. You admit guilt right off the bat it makes things much easier for them to prove their case. Just my .02. :)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    "Am I being detained or am I free to go?"

"I reserve my right to remain silent."

Repeat as necessary.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Last time I was pulled over the Sheriff’s Deputy asked if I knew why I was pulled over. I answered, “I really screwed up” after he finished laughing we had a short conversation and he advised me to slow down then we both went about our separate ways. He did notice my CCW and asked why I was not carrying and since I was going on base I could not carry.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    "Am I being detained or am I free to go?"

"I reserve my right to remain silent."

Repeat as necessary.
    ...all with a nice, friendly smile!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

One of my buddies asks people he pulls over who he feels are more than likely to be on the shady side: "Do you have anything in the car I need to know about? Knives, guns, snakes, bombs, drugs?"

If he asks specifically in Missouri, you are required to inform. He asks about snakes to see if they are paying attention and wondering why the hell he would ask about snakes. So far no snakes but lots of Knives, guns, bombs, & drugs.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

VIP Member
    "Nope" have a nice day.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    One of my buddies asks people he pulls over who he feels are more than likely to be on the shady side: "Do you have anything in the car I need to know about? Knives, guns, snakes, bombs, drugs?"

If he asks specifically in Missouri, you are required to inform. He asks about snakes to see if they are paying attention and wondering why the hell he would ask about snakes. So far no snakes but lots of Knives, guns, bombs, & drugs.
    No right to remain silent?

Michael

Required to inform if you are carrying ccw I think he meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pkupmn98 View Post
    Required to inform if you are carrying ccw I think he meant.
    Oops gotcha.
    Yea my friend and I discussed that as well. If you have a permit here you must notify. If however you are carrying illegally you are under not obligation to notify.
    It still strikes me as odd though that most people when asked the question in my original post feel that they must notify the officer asking of things they are lawfully carrying.
    If I am in legal possession of it they do not need to know. If I am violating a law by possessing it then I am legally protected from having to answer.

Michael
    WD54241 likes this.

People love doing what they think the man with the badge wants them to do.

Watch for this crafty question combination: "Do you have anything illegal in the car? Do you mind if I take a look?" If you say "no," which question are you answering? "I'm sorry officer, I don't understand why you're asking me all of these questions. I don't consent to a search. Is there a ticket I need to sign?"

VIP Member
    I'm in the minority. Now, I wouldn't consent to a search, but I will admit when I do wrong in a traffic violation when nobody is injured. I don't recommend anyone do this. It's just me. When it's obvious, I'll just admit it. If I don't have a clue, I'll say I don't know. I've probably been stopped about 10 times over the last 25 years, and I've always received warnings. No tickets. I don't know if it's luck, my naive honesty, or just my dashing good looks. I am confident, however, if I answered "I am exercising my right to remain silent" I would have received a few tickets.

Does that mean I value my rights under the constitution at $75? No. But I do know when I should rely on those rights, and when I can just say the heck with it.

Pef I am not talking about hiding any wrong doings. All I am saying is that if asked by an officer if I have anything in my vehicle he needs to know about my response would be no. I am carrying nothing illegal therefore he does not need to know about it.
    This does not apply to items I am required by law to give notification about. For instance in my original post. If I had been stopped I would not have notified the officer about the black powder I had in the trunk. There would be no need for him to know and no duty for me to notify.
    I would not claim verbally my right to remain silent. I would truthfully answer the question with a no sir.

Michael

Anything you need to know about, no. Anything that would make your day to find? possibly.
    How excited you get about stale popcorn and french fries? ( I need to vacuum )
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links