The Bug IN bag. Who has a plan to shelter in place? - Page 3

The Bug IN bag. Who has a plan to shelter in place?

This is a discussion on The Bug IN bag. Who has a plan to shelter in place? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here is some MOTIVATION...but just for INFORMATIONAL purposes...nothing else! Iran puts nuclear plant into operation rte / cnn ^ | 26 August 2006 10:01 Iran ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Bug IN bag. Who has a plan to shelter in place?

Here is some MOTIVATION...but just for INFORMATIONAL purposes...nothing else!

Iran puts nuclear plant into operation
    rte / cnn ^ | 26 August 2006 10:01

Iran has announced that a heavy water reactor plant south-west of Tehran has been put into operation.

The plutonium by-product of the plant could be used to make atomic war-heads but Iran insists it only intends to build nuclear power plants.

The move comes days before a UN deadline for Iran to halt uranium enrichment, the part of Tehran's atomic programme that most worries the West.

A Reuters witness said on Saturday the president inaugurated the project and toured the site at Khondab, which is near Arak, 190 kilometers (120 miles) southwest of the capital Tehran. The plant's plutonium by-product could be used to make atomic warheads.

A small group of correspondents from foreign news organizations were taken with Iranian journalists to Khondab, the site near Arak where the heavy-water project is being built, to attend the presidential speech.

The complex was protected by dozens of anti-aircraft guns and surrounded by a four-meter high barbed wire fence. Photographers and TV journalists were asked not to take any images except in areas where they were specifically permitted.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Grrr.... so Now the new Hitler has a way to make wepons grade plutonium. I might be crazy, but. Wouldnt this be the time to give them what they want? Wich of course is a nuke .

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Ex - you mentioned changing stored water every six months. I was curious if distilled water keeps long? I don't plan on storing any but I was curious for those of us that might need to.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Here's what the ARC had on water storage:

Water Storage Before Disaster Strikes

Family Disaster Planning | Disaster Supplies Kit | Food Supplies
    Storing Supplies | Water Storage | Your Evacuation Plan
    Looking for a Home | Food and Water in an Emergency | Shelter-in-Place

Use directions provided by your local or state public health agency. In the case where your local or state public health agency does not have information, follow the recommendations below.

What kinds of containers are recommended to store water in?
    Make sure the water storage container you plan to use is of food grade quality, such as 2-liter soda bottles, with tight-fitting screw-cap lids. Milk containers are not recommended because they do not seal well.

Should water be treated before storing it?

If your local water is treated commercially by a water treatment utility, you do not have to treat the water before storing it. Treating commercially-treated water with bleach is superfluous and not necessary. Doing so does not increase storage life. It is important to change and replace stored water every six months or more frequently.

If your local water is not treated commercially by a water treatment facility, that is, if your water comes from a public well or other public, non-treated system, follow instructions about water storage provided by your public health agency or water provider. They may recommend treating it with a small amount of liquid household bleach. Still, it is important to change and replace stored water every six months or more frequently.

If your local water comes from a private well or other private source, consult with your local public health agency about recommendations regarding storage of water. Some water sources have contaminants (minerals or parasites) that can not be neutralized by treatment with liquid household chlorine bleach. Only your local public health agency should make recommendations about whether your local water can be safely stored, for how long, and how to treat it.

Can I use bottled water?

If you plan to use commercially prepared "spring" or "drinking" water, keep the water in its original sealed container. Change and replace the water at least once a year. Once opened, use it and do not store it further.

For more information, contact your local Red Cross chapter and ask for the brochure titled, "Food and Water in an Emergency" (A5055).

For more information, please contact your local Red Cross chapter. Ask for a copy of the following brochures: “Your Family Disaster Plan” (A4466); “Your Family Disaster Supplies Kit” (A4463) and “Food and Water in an Emergency” (A5055).

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post

Misc:
    · Extra pair of prescription glasses
    · Candles
    · Carton of Cigarettes
    · Tequila
    · Extra set of car & house keys
    · Reading material, books, etc.
    And I missed those the first time through! and

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by gregarat View Post
    Grrr.... so Now the new Hitler has a way to make wepons grade plutonium. I might be crazy, but. Wouldnt this be the time to give them what they want? Wich of course is a nuke .
    Now Now....I posted this as a motivator to get y'all thinkin'! Let's not devolve into any sort of ummmmm Final Solutions, okay? Let's leave that to the proper guv'mint officials....You and I...and the rest of us have to keep our eyes upon the skyline. Watch yer topknot.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Rock n Glock, at the very least if you can't use them, you may be able to use them to trade. Of course hard A is always good for disinfectant. Cigs are good stress relievers. I used to keep a carton in my bug out pack. Gum works just as well, too.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    Rock n Glock, at the very least if you can't use them, you may be able to use them to trade. Of course hard A is always good for disinfectant. Cigs are good stress relievers. I used to keep a carton in my bug out pack. Gum works just as well, too.
    I would use them to excess....LOL.........red wine is my first choice, but for plain old drinking pleasure.........a good scotch! That and a cigarette....vices abound! Trade? Never!

ExSoldier...

could I get a copy of your more detailed plan?

Joking, of course...very well organized...it is a 'keeper'.

Thanks for the excellent list!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree w/ exsoldier's list completely. The only thing I would add is a portable water filter. MSR & Katidyn make excellent ones that can be purchased for under $100 from campmor.com. This will help you in case you have to leave quickly and cannot bring a lot of water. My scout troop used these when we did long hikes and we had to get all of our water along the way. I keep my emer kits in 18 gallon plastic buckets (The ones you can get from Walmart for about $5). I have all of the supplies seperated and labeled by type so in an emergency I can grab just what is needed quickly. One has food, paper plates and cutlery. One has cooking appliances and fuel, one for sleeping bags, etc. If something happens I just grab the tubs from the shelves in the garage and transfer them to my vehicle and we can be gone in a matter of minutes. I also heard a great idea that I will start implementing when I get back home. Once a month, eat from your emergency kit, including cooking the meal. It will help you to rotate the food, ensure you have the proper equipment to prepare your meals, help you to decide what to put in your kit, and allow everyone to learn how to prepare and cleanup. That's my 2 cents. I hope it helps someone.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the Congress is in session."
    Mark Twain
    S&W M&P 40

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Once again, thanks to everyone for their input. I have had to readjust my thinking in a couple of areas. I can honesly think of no other forum I would be comfortable posting something like this. Even if I get singed from some of the responses I know somone is going to say something which makes me aware of yet another blind spot in my thought processes.

Minor item, but I've found that CD's and DVD's make very good reflectors, especially for chem lights. They are also thin and somewhat flexible, so they don't break as easily as glass mirrors do. We used them extensively during our 2004 hurricane marathon.

2 CD's SuperGlued at right angles makes a good small-room illuminator for a chem light standing in the hole of the horizontal one. Keeps light from being lost in unused areas.

When I screw up burning/recording to a CD or DVD, it goes into my emergency kit.

Bob

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Good use of an otherwise discarded material.
    BTW, Chem light? We are not talking about those ghostly green, yellow,red things that you shake up and bend to break the glass vial inside are you? Either your eyes were well adjusted to the dark or else they have come a long way since the last time I used one for anything.

Yep, those are the ones.

We normally use huricane lamps (grew up with them in Louisiana just a few, ahem, cough, cough... years ago) but with today's grade of lamp oil rather than the smokier kerosene we used to use.

But for smaller spaces like the bathrooms or kitchen, or a youngster's night-lighted bedroom where you don't want a flammable, we've found the chem lights work well. No reading or cooking going on in those locations, so the light is adequate, especially with the reflector CD's. They work OK in a 2-man tent, too. But again, if you plan on reading yourself to sleep, get something else for lighting, or a new vision plan.

Haven't tried them in the living room, but my guess is they'd be totally inadequate.

Bob

SPEAKING of the chem sticks..

recently, I was watching a really fun movie called HELLBOY where the main character was using what seemed to me to be really REALLY large lightsticks, that he shook up to light up a dark section of the subway in NYC.

Has anyone ever seen these? Do they exist?

I saw these in another movie once before, so I dont think they are made up.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links