The Bug IN bag. Who has a plan to shelter in place?

This is a discussion on The Bug IN bag. Who has a plan to shelter in place? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hello! My wife and I have been trying to get a reasonable "kit" that could be used to shelter us, and a few others in ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Bug IN bag. Who has a plan to shelter in place?

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar

The Bug IN bag. Who has a plan to shelter in place?

Hello!

My wife and I have been trying to get a reasonable "kit" that could be used to shelter us, and a few others in place for a semi extended period.

Our short term goal is enough to feed, water,shelter, bathe, defend etc 4 people for 3 months.

I even went so far as to purchase a wood stove and everything needed to install it, just in case.

My wife is on board with me, but sometimes I wonder how much is too much. Is anyone else out there doing this, if so I would appreciate it if you could recommend some good rescources.
    I feel as if thus far I have attacked this think willy nilly and really don't have as much to show for it as I would like to have.

2. Remove Ads

We're doing it in a less organized fashion also, but there are a lot of resources available. I believe it was ExSoldier that posted an incredibly complete inventory. Ex? Still have the list? Thanks!

Senior Moderator
    Ive got a couple of wood burners. I've also got a great well. Ive got a fair food supply in the event that things go south.
    Iv'e got plenty of keroscene lamps with fuel for light. I've got a portable water filtration system. Ive already got enough camping equipment to use if I need to skedaddle.

And...I've got the ammo to keep all of the above...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

GS, what is your reason for the shelter, food supply, etc? If it's for a disaster, flood, tornado or something similar you may want a small towable camper or motor home that could get you out of the area and to a safer location.
    Last edited by mkeBob; August 31st, 2006 at 04:51 PM.
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

When in Cali, if we were to have a natural or man-made disaster, a bunch of us knew where to go in Death Valley to be safe. Yes, don't let the pics fool you, there is plenty of water and life to be found there. If you just know where to look, but it does take four wheel drive to arrive.
    -----------
    for shelter...these are great...
    http://www.davistent.com/
    -----
    this is a must have in todays world, if your prepared or not !
    http://www.katadyn.ch/site/us/home/o...e_series/drip/
    Last edited by artz; August 24th, 2006 at 12:44 AM.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Bugging in should always be Plan A, but the situation may require that you move.

If so, even having basic supplies such as a tent, extra fuel and food and water stored will put you ahead of 90% of the rest.

I'm starting my long-term preps. Right now I could bug-in for about 2 months on available food, 1 month of available water. I also have a basic 1 week kit in my truck including food, water and shelter. Depending on how much time we have available we could load up the truck with most of that 1 month supply and bug out if we had to do so.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    I converted a 12x12 room in my basement to a gun/ammo vault. It also contains racks of canned goods (probably enough to last a few months if rationed properly), and 5 stainless steel 55 gallon drums of potable well water (from my reverse osmosis system). It is below grade and can also be used as a storm cellar, if we ever had a tornado. I also have a whole house generator (outside of course) and a large buried external propane tank to supply it (we don't have natural gas service in our area).
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Not really into survivalism but agree in being as prepared as possible.

Would like to add a couple of thoughts. >>>>> You gotta have a defendable position. AND You gotta keep your mouth shut to your neighbors if that position is your occupied home(home you live in now)

Like in the movies,they(your neighbors)will come for you. When their supplies are used up they will come for yours unless they think you are just as short of supplies as they are. I saw this happen in neighborhoods in NW Fla. after the hurricans. No shootin' and fightin' but could have easily been given a few more days without supplies.

It is easy to see the motivation of a man looking for food and water for his small children several days after the storms have devistated the infrastructure.

Also we expieranced the total lack of law enforcement. I can imagine if times got really bad the LEO's would be looking for food and water for their kids also.---------

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Well, I swore I wasn’t going to write another book for a post but I have done it anyway.
    Feel free to skip over most of it. LOL!

Great responses everyone.

Let me just jump in here and say one thing. I never considered myself a "survivalist". I do however have serious concerns over how things are going in this world and want to take out some insurance so to speak. I consider it much like CCW. I hope never to need it, but I do it for myself and more importantly for my family.
    At the very least, things aren't going to get any cheaper. Not to mention it would be nice to have on hand should one of us become unemployed, for an extended period.

As for buging out, vs bugging in, I figure that we could back one or two of our vehicles up to the back door and load it up and still be better prepared than 90% of the population.

Our place is probably the last place you would pick if you wanted a defendable location. Hopefully that will change in the next year or so. We are just keeping our mouths shut.

Water
    I picked up a couple of 20 gallon food grade plastic barrels for potable water. I also have a couple others that are not food grade, which could be used to retrieve river water if needed.
    I have an electric pump that can be run off of car batteries and plan on putting in one of those pressurized 42 gallon well tanks as a reserve. The idea is to put a one way valve coming in from the water meter so that once the tank is full it will keep pressurized water in the house even if the water stops flowing somewhere outside the house.

If you ration it, 42 gallons will last for a little while.
    At any rate it will keep our toilet flushing and reverse osmosis filter with it's own 5 gallon reserve going.

We have a huge water tank outside our back door to use up first. (small swimming pool.) Beyond that, the river is only a couple of miles from here.
    I also keep a few jugs of distilled water. It is sterile, portable, and it keeps forever.

Food
    I and the little lady have been grabbing extra canned goods every time one of us heads to the store, and loading up some cabinets I have put in a spare bedroom. Thus far it has been whatever is on sale, but we are beginning to organize it into complete meals with similar expiration dates, so that we can get a rotation system going. That way we can eat the stuff before it gets to old.

I have been looking at one of those 1 year supplys of no cook dehydrated food. They are sold by companies like mountain house or alpineaire. It is kinda expensive, but it will keep for more than a decade, and the ones I have already tasted (sold in the camping section at wal-mart for an inflated price) were pretty darn good.

Misc
    We have been trying to keep a bunch of throw away plates, bowls, utensils, and paper towels on hand as well. If water becomes precious, this would be an easy way to conserve it.
    I have a decent first aid kit, but plan on buying a much larger/complete one.

My latest purchase, which sparked this whole thread off is something I haven’t really heard too many people mention. Fuel storage. I just bought two 55gal fuel drums. I plan on putting them in the back of my storage shed, and mark them with something disgusting and toxic sounding, then burry them with junk. I know 110 gallons sounds like a lot, but that is less than a months driving for my wife. At any rate, if we need to run a generator, it will have to run on something. At the very least, it would help us ride out any price hikes like the ones after Katrina.

Feel free to critique any of this. That is what I posted it for. There are probably tons of things I have overlooked. Just be nice about it. :o)
    Last edited by GoodSamaritan; August 24th, 2006 at 08:45 AM.

Will gas keep indefinitely in drums like that? I think it's a good idea, but I wonder if it will seperate or go bad or something.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Sounds like you got a plan to have a plan. To me,that's a great start.

IMO what the "disaster"is will dictate what steps you will have to take to deal with it. If it is simply a fuel shortage,you can never store enough fuel to make it through it. Same as food,ammo,or other commodities. You HAVE to be able to renew your resources. That's the time to get into the barter system. Times like this it's great to have something to trade. Example:> Lawyers will be of no use....BUT....if you have medical,mechanical,military(certin fields),mercenary,or other needed training,it will come in handy. (never,ever,share guns and/or ammo)

One of the very best things that you could "stockpile" is MRE's. NOT the ones from Cabela's. Milspec/mil issue (brown box)are the ones to have. They will last forever if unpoened. For this it's great to have a friend in the reserves or Natl Guard.

Several of my friends that live in Utah have a plan. Three families are involved. They have a defendable location to retreat to. The provisions are split three ways. They will defend their domain as a unit. I would hate to have to try to take what they will have in their little valley.

I live in a housing developement. But I have two neighbors that live just down the street that are county sherriffs. These two men are shooters,hunters,ex-military,etc. During the past hurricanes we looked out for each other. We guarded our own neighborhood. We shared food,water,and the ice that we could get. Anybody can form little groups of like minded people to work as a team for the betterment of the entire group.

If S-H's-T-F really hard,it will be hard for anyone to make it on their own. Small(3-5 families)groups will have a much better chance of coming through it if they are all prepared and all work for the good of the group.

Mindset will play a big part of how it goes down also. This is hard to think about .....BUT.......would you be willing to kill your neighbor if he was trying to steal from you to feed his family. This, and similar things, should be thought out and a plan divised for.

Good luck to us all. --------

VIP Member
    We're lucky in that we live on a farm & could be on our own for months. We have a well for our water, 4 fire places for heat (lots of trees to use for fuel), livestock to get meat from, canned good (store bought & canned from the garden), back up generator & fuel for at least 2 months, longer if we use it sparingly.

Plus we are armed to the teeth!

We're good to go....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    We're lucky in that we live on a farm & could be on our own for months. We have a well for our water, 4 fire places for heat (lots of trees to use for fuel), livestock to get meat from, canned good (store bought & canned from the garden), back up generator & fuel for at least 2 months, longer if we use it sparingly.

Plus we are armed to the teeth!

We're good to go....
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Staying in is what I think about everytime I start looking to pack a bag, I ralise that we would be better off staying home. Our house is in a neighborhood of large wooded lots, most 20 acres or more. If we know something is coming, we fill up the tubs with water, for the toilets, and can run the Generator to get the well going.

We always have enough vehicles around to get gas for the generator, that way it's fresh, and with the woodstove, we can get by with letting it run for about 20 mins every several hours, that would keep the fridge, and freezor running, unitl empty, then start on the canned stuff.

If all that fails. I'l just go and stay with GOAWAYFARM, sounds like they have it all covered.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

gas will need a stabilizer of some sort in order to sit for a period of time linger than about six months.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links