Anyone ever fired their gun at a bug (yes, a bug)?

This is a discussion on Anyone ever fired their gun at a bug (yes, a bug)? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I took out a hornet nest with my 12 ga. Right after that I also set a world record for the 100 meter run through ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Anyone ever fired their gun at a bug (yes, a bug)?

I took out a hornet nest with my 12 ga. Right after that I also set a world record for the 100 meter run through the woods.

2. Remove Ads

You obviously have not seen what Floridians affectionately call a "water bug" (actually an irradiated post apocalyptic cockroach the size of a house cat) otherwise you'd know that not only is shooting at bugs common but necessary. Most of these "water bugs" carry at least a level IIA classification of body armor.
    pir8fan and mano3 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Do gas charged .22s count? I got some for the neighborhood squirrels...
    Those things are just about on par with the power of a .22LR, at least some of the ones I've seen are.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    You obviously have not seen what Floridians affectionately call a "water bug" (actually an irradiated post apocalyptic cockroach the size of a house cat) otherwise you'd know that not only is shooting at bugs common but necessary. Most of these "water bugs" carry at least a level IIA classification of body armor.
    Remember them well, if one got into the house and you turned the light on in a dark room they and the cockroaches would just stare at you as if to say “Just who do you think you are”. Also had those bugs in RVN and Thailand, got knocked out of the number one hatch on a C-123 one night when one flying along hit me right between the eyes.
    Last edited by msgt/ret; February 3rd, 2012 at 04:08 PM.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I almost shot a tarantula with a .22 pistol. It was huge and in the front yard. A bunch of kids were taunting it, then it reared up and HISSED!!!!! I had no idea spiders could hiss! It freaked me out so much that I ran inside and got the revolver, but before I could shoot it, a kid scooped it up in a coffee can.

That's one brave kid...
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Many I won't mention from my younger years. Recently I remodeled my bathroom and having done so allowed a few mice to enjoy the comforts of my warm home. They met their demise from air soft guns. I would sit at my counter and place a cookie on the kitchen floor when one would come for a bite pop. Thats all she wrote.

Plenty of times out of boredom. Shot carpenter bees with paintball guns (the paintball actually explodes in mid air when you hit them). When even younger, I rid the yard of spiders by putting sand in an old air rifle. Last year, me and a friend were trying to shoot dragonflies out of the air (into water) at his pond with .40 cals. We never did hit one, though...

When I was a kid, I use to shoot flies, dirt dobbers, wasps, hornets, and moths (at night) with my trusty Daisy bb gun all the time.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Shot a yellow jacket in half with my son's full auto M4 airsoft rifle. The dang thing live for quite a while too. Kept trying to fly off.

Many years ago, frog on a log 12 guage vaporized.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    When my mom retired she moved down to Siesta Key, FL in this cute little cottage type house. She was SO excited to be so close to the beach. I helped her move down from Ohio, and I stayed a couple nights there to give her some company.

I HATE those "water bugs". I remember going into the bathroom to take a shower in the morning and finding a total of 15 in there. About 8 of which were in the shower. Let's just say when I go visit her now I tend to spend a lot more time on the beach than in that little cottage
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    I almost shot a tarantula with a .22 pistol. It was huge and in the front yard. A bunch of kids were taunting it, then it reared up and HISSED!!!!! I had no idea spiders could hiss! It freaked me out so much that I ran inside and got the revolver, but before I could shoot it, a kid scooped it up in a coffee can.

That's one brave kid...
    I can just see some poor kid running down the street yelling that some crazy person just shot his pet.

Michael
    mano3 likes this.

The biggest fish I ever caught was taken with a Daisy air pistol. No joke. It was a 3 1/2 foot carp caught in receding flood waters. I wrapped him in newspaper with lemon and onion, baked for 45 minutes, threw the fish away and ate the newspaper.

Story on internet somewhere about new guy got sent to Iraq and had one of the camel spiders scurry across an aircraft area after him. He blasted it with the Beretta 9mm and everyone came running. When asked ***, it's just a spider...his reply was "We don't got spiders that big in Iowa"!
    mano3 likes this.

As of today no bugs targeted and eliminated.... tomorrow is another story. This is bug as in insect, arachnid etc.. not B.ad U. gly G. uy??

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links