Anyone ever fired their gun at a bug (yes, a bug)? - Page 3

Anyone ever fired their gun at a bug (yes, a bug)?

This is a discussion on Anyone ever fired their gun at a bug (yes, a bug)? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I had a butterfly land on my brightly colored target once, 100yards and a 30-06... I couldn't help myself....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Anyone ever fired their gun at a bug (yes, a bug)?

I had a butterfly land on my brightly colored target once, 100yards and a 30-06... I couldn't help myself.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by BroBud View Post
    As of today no bugs targeted and eliminated.... tomorrow is another story. This is bug as in insect, arachnid etc.. not B.ad U. gly G. uy??
    Hey, I've had to deal with several home invasions with deadly force before. Since those horrifying encounters I've had to reinforce the pantry door, install motion sensors in the fridge, and when I encounter these perps it's always "swat first, ask questions later!"

A lot of people say "Just call Pest Control, it's their job", but it's better to be judged by 0 than have my food carried off by 12.
    pfries likes this.
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

I shot several very large spiders while in Vietnam. I hate spiders, especially when they sneak up on you in the dark.
    mano3 likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Moderator
    Flys.

It wasn't really sporting as we baited them. I sort of felt bad about it, but not so much that I wouldn't do it again, in fact, me and a few others have done it several times.

We baited them by taking a wet lollipop and smearing it on the bullseye of a paper target. We were bench resting and zeroing a rifle that a friend of mine had sent to Hart,it was a Spanish Mauser that he had some work done to and barreled with a heavy barrel in .308.

When we got it fine tuned, we walked out to the target and smeared it with lollipop. It worked, in a few minutes there were fly on the paper.

Using a Leupold 6x24 scope with the target dot, it wasn't long until we started splattering the flys. There would be a hole in the paper and fly guts and legs and even wings stuck to the sticky stuff. On one paper we had 8 holes with 8 dead flys and their guts splattered about.

That sheet was hung on the wall of one of our local gunshops for years.

So you see, there is a valid use for flys. Used correctly, they improve your target shooting skills and they "prove" your rifles. I have done it several times with different rifles...of course, you must have some good glass to see them and a pretty good zoom on them.

Even so...for some reason, swatting flys with high powered rifles still amuses me .
    tactilame and pfries like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I shot a large spider with a Taurus 24/7 airsoft gun. Sadly the airsoft Taurus is far more accurate than the real 9mm.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I have a 7mm Rem MAG that has a 8-32x40AO scope on it. I can see bugs on targets easily at 100 yards through it. I was at the range last summer doing some ammo testing. I was getting ready to shoot when I saw a fly walking around on the target about where I anticipated the bullet would strike, so I took aim and fired. A bullet hole appeared where the fly was. I can't prove I hit it, but if the fly hadn't left before I fired the shot, I got him. Flys are quick, but not that quick.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Not an insect, but a rat. I used to go rat hunting in the rice fields north of Sacramento. They were a pest to the farmers, digging holes in the levees separating the rice fields. We used .22's and could sometimes kill 15-30 rats a night. One night, while taking a break, sitting on the hood of my buddy's Blazer, a rat ran out from under the truck and stopped right under out feet. I shot it with a 125 grain .357 hollow point at a range of about 4 feet. Poor rat basicly vaporized.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

I used to shoot bee's out back with my 20 gauge when I was 10 or 11 years old.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

For some reason I just like this thread....
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

I went to visit my blind aunt one summer, and she had wasps buzzing all over the place. I found a large nest in the eave of the house on one side. At the time, I was shooting silhouette air pistol, and using a Daisy 747 with a 6-18 power Bushnell scope. I stood at the edge of the house, leaned around the corner, and took the wasps off the nest one by one. I stayed there until it got near dusk, and nailed the last few wasps that showed up. Early the next morning I got up and went out to check; two wasps met their maker, then I shot the nest down and destroyed it.
    The next year when I visited her, another large nest had taken it's place. I used wasp spray this time. I didn't want to stretch my luck anymore!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

I have a friend that was shooting a 22 at a bumblebee...in the garage. There were about 4 new holes to patch but he finally got it when i asked why he was trying to aim through the scope at such a short range and trying to hit such a small target. haha...we still laugh about it.
    Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.
    It's faster to dial 3-5-7 than it is to dial 9-1-1.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Well yes! A while back I had the first two chambers of my Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt loaded with those Speer snakeshot loads. A big buzzing wood bee hovered three to four feet away me. I thought about for a few seconds then thought" I can take this bee out". So I drew aimed and fired in one smooth motion & the darned bee did'ent move it just huung there & buzzed! So I took carefull aim & fired again & the bee moved in even closer!
    That's when my wife shouted "what are you shooting at"? Thats when the bee buzzed away. She must of scared him.

That's why I carried the big Ruger, for defence from wild critters.

Maybe I should have been carrying pepper spray.....

When I was a kid I would put a piece of PB&J sandwich out by the garage and shoot flies with a BB gun. Nothing since I was 11 though. :)

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I bought a CO2 Socom M23 airsoft gun just for that purpose. For some reason I keep finding spiders almost as big as my chiuaua in my house and I shoot them with it. My chiuaua is 20 pounds. I am fairly convinced that I saw a spider lifting her in the air with a web once. JK on that last part. Airsoft gun for spiders= perfect.
    tactilame likes this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    Story on internet somewhere about new guy got sent to Iraq and had one of the camel spiders scurry across an aircraft area after him. He blasted it with the Beretta 9mm and everyone came running. When asked ***, it's just a spider...his reply was "We don't got spiders that big in Iowa"!
    look up Camel spider.... they are bloody huge!!!
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links