Anyone ever fired their gun at a bug (yes, a bug)? - Page 4

Anyone ever fired their gun at a bug (yes, a bug)?

This is a discussion on Anyone ever fired their gun at a bug (yes, a bug)? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I personally have not, but I know this guy at work who said he could shoot a wasp outa the (air in flight) mind you, ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Anyone ever fired their gun at a bug (yes, a bug)?

I personally have not, but I know this guy at work who said he could shoot a wasp outa the (air in flight) mind you, with a pellet gun at ten feet.. When I finished laughing, I said really? He said yeah, I do it all the time. I said sure you can, and noticed he wasn't laughing as I walked away, but then again this wasn't the first tall tale old "Barney" told around the office either. You'd think this guy was a descendant of Zeus himself to hear all the amazing stuff he can do both with and without a gun, all hundred thirty five pounds of him.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Back in the 70s I worked for a buddy doing custom leather and canvas work (awnings, custom covers for cars, boats etc and repairing trucker tarps...) and the shop was in 4 stall garage with no AC so the doors were kept open in warm weather. There were apple trees behind the shop and in the fall yellow jackets would swarm after the fallen apples and more than a few would come inside the shop and if you weren't careful about scratching, wiping sweat etc you would get stung frequently. I had a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 LC, I would prime empty brass, fill about 1/3 full of Bullseye and then tamp the rest tight with toilet paper. When a yellow jacket would start flying around I would grab that Blackhawk and let 'er rip. Didn't have to be dead on, the pressure wave was kinda like a shotgun and would do a real number on 'em.
    l1a1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I personally have not, but I know this guy at work who said he could shoot a wasp outa the (air in flight) mind you, with a pellet gun at ten feet.. When I finished laughing, I said really? He said yeah, I do it all the time. I said sure you can, and noticed he wasn't laughing as I walked away, but then again this wasn't the first tall tale old "Barney" told around the office either. You'd think this guy was a descendant of Zeus himself to hear all the amazing stuff he can do both with and without a gun, all hundred thirty five pounds of him.
    Oh my gosh he must be a really weird person when he tries to tell you all those stories! Who should believe all that kind of stuff?
    To be on topic- I never shoot at a bug yet and I don't think that I will ever do it. I prefer hunting bugs in a traditional way with a newspaper in my hand ;)

I will be showing this thread to my wife......she thinks I am the only one that would ever come up with such an idea.

I have shot my old bb gun at thousands of dragonflys as a kid......even hit a few.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

I blasted a group of three carp in the lake I live on a couple years ago with my 12 gauge. Just doing my part to clean the lake up. It was fun, however, I did not figure on getting as wet as I did. What ever. Never grow up.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

one of my personal favorite shots I ever took was a single shot with a .177 air rifle at a wasp in the driveway about 30-35 yards away. the thing that makes it a good shot in my mind is that the rifle had no iron sights and no scope, just good ole fashioned marksmanship. And I've shot plenty of those massive florida roaches that are all over the place here in florida.

edit: also for those of you I've seen on here talking about shooting fish, give bow fishing a try. I have an AMS bow fishing compound bow with a 40 lb pull that is a whole lot of fun to take out on the lakes or rivers and catch gar/carp with (and fried gar tastes really good if know how to get the armor off and you fry it up right)
    Last edited by archie72490; February 9th, 2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: add bow fishing

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links