Anyone ever fired their gun at a bug (yes, a bug)?

This is a discussion on Anyone ever fired their gun at a bug (yes, a bug)? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It's a silly question, and I'm sure I won't hear many (if any at all) yes's except for maybe in a hunting scenario (even that ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Anyone ever fired their gun at a bug (yes, a bug)?

It's a silly question, and I'm sure I won't hear many (if any at all) yes's except for maybe in a hunting scenario (even that seems unlikely), but in my current state of insomnia and boredom (unemployed) I'm feeling especially curious.

I have once. There was this fly buzzing around my apartment a few years back annoying the living daylights out of me while I was trying to sleep in the early morning. I tried to ignore it, but after it landed on my nose, I lost my temper and got out the ol' fly swatter. I chased that son of a gun around the place for about 15 minutes but he was too quick for me. So I grabbed this little battery powered airsoft gun a friend had given me as a joke, put on my glasses so I could actually see, and started firing wildly at it. Even after settling down and taking aim, that little jerk was too quick even for my 100 fps airsoft gun!

Feel free to flame, as this is a ridiculous topic, but surely some of you guys have been so annoyed by an insect that you've fantasized shooting at it with hollowpoints
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

Back in my dumber days, shot a dragonfly on the ground with a 12 guage.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Actually I was Dove hunting one year when a bee kept messing with me,he happened to hover about 5 feet in front of me and caught a load of 7 1/2 shot at almost point blank range.
    I've posted before about my Wifes hatred for Cockroaches and they got some biguns down here.I'm dreading the day she runs into one when she is carrying her 45...EEEEKKKK blam blam blam blam
    tactilame likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Completely forgot this story. One of my less intelligent buddies who lives out in the country once decided the best way to rid his tree of a wasp's nest was to blow it out with his 12 gauge. Needless to say, the nest was gone but not all of the wasps residing in it. He got stung up pretty bad.
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

VIP Member
    I almost forgot about this. We were out in a swamp during the summer once and noted numerous large hornet nests high up in the cypress trees. We were in an aluminum boat with a 9.5 Merc, we'd go whizzing by pretty close to the tree, then shoot the nest with 12 gauge birdshot, then speed away.

The hornets would come off of that nest MAD, and attempted to catch the boat. They always followed us for a distance, then gave up. If that outboard would have sputtered at the wrong time...............
    Last edited by ppkheat; February 3rd, 2012 at 03:16 PM.
    Rock and Glock and tactilame like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

When I was a kid, ants were constant targets of my Daisy air gun and me. Keeping the "Red Horde" at bay, so to speak. Many beetles and grasshoppers have also fallen to my .177 death machine.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

When I was younger, I would hunt wasps with my BB rifle. I'd wait for them to fly and land in the grass (safe backstop) and then I'd shoot them. I'd usually get them about 50% of the time. The BB gun would essentially cut them in half. I've also used airsoft but it is far less accurate. An airsoft gun will take down a wasp nest, though. The nest doesn't move so you can take as many shots as you need.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I may have dispatched a bug or two on a slow day of Dove hunting when I was younger. Like Dadnugun, my .177 was a holy terror for bugs around my house when I was a kid. For a while I had a scope on it, it was scary acurate then, but I shot it so much, it broke and had to go back to iron sights. Crossman pumpmaster 760, the Red Ryder of my day.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tactilame View Post
    Completely forgot this story. One of my less intelligent buddies who lives out in the country once decided the best way to rid his tree of a wasp's nest was to blow it out with his 12 gauge. Needless to say, the nest was gone but not all of the wasps residing in it. He got stung up pretty bad.
    I remember my grandfather doing the same thing with a 20ga, did not know grandpa could run so fast.
    tactilame likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Administrator
    I fired a .44 Magnum at an ant that was crawling across my kitchen counter top one day but, I panicked, missed, and absolutely annihilated the toaster.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I fired a .44 Magnum at an ant that was crawling across my kitchen counter top one day but, I panicked, missed, and absolutely annihilated the toaster.
    seriously?...you fired a .44 indoors...at an ant?

I personally believe that spiders are perfectly appropriate targets for .357 hollow points.
    mkphillips, pir8fan and mano3 like this.

When I was a kid, I had a crossman 2100 .177 pellet rifle. This thing would shoot 800fps. I put a scope for a .22 on it, and really worked at sighting it in. One day I was up in my tree house and saw a dragon fly land on the ground. I took aim and fired. It didn't move. I found it in the scope again, still sitting there. Usually anything will run off from a near miss. Confused by this, I climbed down out of the tree house and found it on the ground. As it turns out, I had cleanly severed its head from its body.

VIP Member
    Since 22s, 25s and 380s are called mouse guns do we now call 177/22 air guns bug guns?
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Do gas charged .22s count? I got some for the neighborhood squirrels...
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links