Coyotes!

This is a discussion on Coyotes! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; That's true about the donkey's, I'd forgotten about that. They don't like thistles growing in a pasture either and will typically paw them down to ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Coyotes!

VIP Member
    That's true about the donkey's, I'd forgotten about that. They don't like thistles growing in a pasture either and will typically paw them down to the roots for some reason.

A friend of mine killed a coyote out in a cow pasture and left him laying there while he went to check on another herd. When he came back to the dead coyote, it seems the entire herd had taken turns to go and stand on top of the dead coyote. It seemed to be sort of a satisfying-vindictive attitude by the cattle. As you can image the coyote soon became a two-dimensional corpse.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I used to see and hear coyotes all the time around here. I was at one time an avid coyote hunter. But it seems as if all at once, they all went away. I have not seen one in a few years. But just last week, when I got home from work late at night I could hear a bunch yipping and carrying on off in the distant woods and fields that surround my neighborhood.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    If you had told me 10 years ago that I'd be seeing & dealing with coyotes in VIRGINIA, I'd have said you're nuts!......I've killed three in the last year!.IN VIRGINIA! They are becoming a real problem even here in the east.

The only predators they have are humans, who either shoot them or hit them with cars. I have seen a couple on the sides on the interstate that have been hit by autos.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I've got the same problem you've got. Most of the time the coyotes aren't a problem as long as the calves are healthy and are born fairly quickly, so momma can get back up. But on a hard birth or a weak calf they tend to take fast advantage. Because they could see me coming on a lot of our fields I used a 22-250 to reachout to them. If I set up to stand hunt I use a AR 223 with a 3x9 scope usually set low. I used to manage a herd of about 200, just have my own purebreds of 35 now, but on that farm we used a couple of longhorn steers with the calving groups. They were way better than donkeys in that situation and were fairly gentle the rest of the time, but dogs and coyotes were taboo!

I hate coyotes, real hard on our deer up here. Fawns especially. Somewhere I read that a trapper used heavy gauge wire with large treble hooks(salt water or Muskie, walleye type) suspended with chicken. Far enough off the ground to force coyote to jump to get bait. Away from domestic dog exposure. Sounded effective, but nowadays far from legal I'm sure. Maybe just hire a trapper, best of luck Sir...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I'm getting alot of good input thanks guys. I did have a donkey for a while but traded him for another horse. I like the dog idea but would need four as I'm currently calving in four seperate pastures ranging 20 miles apart. My only guess on this coyote was that it go the calf while the mother went to water. My cows do a very good job of fighting off coyotes and dogs but they have vulenerable moments.

I'm going out next saturday morning and calling to see how many I can get. I'm guessing it took more than one coyote as the calf was drug quite a ways. Thanks for the replies.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Need any help? I'm in the neighborhood.

Elk I'd let you join me anytime. I'm in the south east corner though and probably a pretty good haul for ya.

I hunt coyote. bobcat, and grey fox weekly. Anyone interested in getting into the sport, this is a great forum with lots of information

Welcome to Predator Masters -- Hunting the Hunters

of course you get your typical caliber wars, calling into the wind or against the wind wars... just weed through the BS

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    I'm getting alot of good input thanks guys. I did have a donkey for a while but traded him for another horse. I like the dog idea but would need four as I'm currently calving in four seperate pastures ranging 20 miles apart. My only guess on this coyote was that it go the calf while the mother went to water. My cows do a very good job of fighting off coyotes and dogs but they have vulenerable moments.

I'm going out next saturday morning and calling to see how many I can get. I'm guessing it took more than one coyote as the calf was drug quite a ways. Thanks for the replies.

Get an injured calf call....... setup a few stands. 15-20 minutes a stand.... run them at least a mile apart.... mornings are best. best time to call predators is when you can see the moon in the daytime. Full moons are bad times to call the next day. Scent, clothing color, all really not a real big thing. Staying still and not moving around is the most important thing. Don't slam car doors or allow metallic noises. Chamber your rifle well before the stand. Good stands are 10 foot wooden ladders. Sit up high, put call down low.... Good luck!!

When I was living in the sticks about eleven years ago northwest of Flatonia, Tx., we had coyotes by the ton. Ranchers would shoot them and drape the carcasses on their barbed wire fences in the arcane superstition that it kept the other coyotes away.....like a coyote will look at a dead coyote on a fence and say to itself, "Dude, they got Bob! I am outta here!!!"

So, one evening the wife and I are on the porch listing to the yipping of the coyotes and then suddenly hear, starting low and gaining strength very quickly, "Wooooooooooooooooo, woooo, wooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" Then an answer off in the distance. The coyotes shut down the yipping fast on that.

I was like, "Dude! There aren't wolves in Central Texas any more!!!!'

Later that week the wife said she saw a pair of the biggest freakin gray wolves (not native around here anymore) looking at her flat footed through the second line of our barbed wire fence and that the dogs (I had five back then) went wild, chasing them off.

All I could figure was that some person had bought wolves as pets, realized they do not make good pets, and then let them go "where they could run free." Morons don't know if they are not trained to hunt, they will starve or take down easy targets like sheep, goats (I had lots of nice Spanish Goats), or calves. We would still occasionally hear them off in the distance in the evenings for about a year.

I did start carrying my Mini 30 around a lot more on the walks we took in the evenings after that.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

If you were closer I'd help you out, I'm itching to try my AR on something other than paper and a nuisance coyote sounds like just the ticket.

We do quite a bit of calling around here and enter contests from time to time. I have really good luck with a montana coyote decoy, a mojo critter, and an electronic caller. I like the rabbit distress as I've had the most luck with it. I do wear camo and spray down with scent killer. I use an AR and really enjoying shooting yotes that come running into the call and decoy

Quote Originally Posted by lordofwyr View Post
    Ranchers would shoot them and drape the carcasses on their barbed wire fences in the arcane superstition that it kept the other coyotes away.....like a coyote will look at a dead coyote on a fence and say to itself, "Dude, they got Bob! I am outta here!!!"
    Actually they will eat their own......

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    In my short time on this earth I have never heard of any wolves in our area. Simple fact wolves kill calves too.
    And humans, there is a reason they were hunted to near extintion.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links