Coyotes! - Page 4

Coyotes!

This is a discussion on Coyotes! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Are you sure it's not a black bear, and is a coyote ? Reason I ask is, I"ve never seen coyotes drag a calf off ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Coyotes!

Are you sure it's not a black bear, and is a coyote ? Reason I ask is, I"ve never seen coyotes drag a calf off to eat it. They usually eat it right where they kill it. But a bear will drag it off and hide it so it can eat more on it later.

The one's where we are at, are not afraid of humans at all. Nada. I had my Dog in my jeep with me (no gun.. never happen again) and a coyote ran 100 yrds straight for the car..... then tried to jump thru the window. We've been having some around the house and they are not afraid at all of anyone.... but we want them gone due to small kids, etc in the family that will be out there fishing, etc. Years ago , a pack chased my now EX to the house.

I had one last fall ... about 30 ft away at night, put a light on him, and he just stood there staring at me. I yelled at him, and he did nothing. I couldn't shoot him because the cows were on the other side of him. So, I went yelling and running right for him.... the dang thing just stood there until I was within 8 ft of him, then he only ran back about 20 ft and stood and stared at me again.

That's it... not anywhere without a gun since all of that. We used to shoot them with .22's.... but these guys are quick and at hiding, it seems to me. So, this year.... I've got my AR ready to go , and a 30-06 ready if they get further out .. I can still reach out and effectively "touch" them. A .357 on my side.

We'll be having some cattle calving in about 1 month.... forgot about the donkey part, but that is true. We may need to get one. This Spring, some coyotes will be biting the dust.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I'm certain it is coyotes while black bears are rare to be seen down here they are a couple around. I checked the tracks around the blood spot and it was coyotes. We usually don't have them drag a calf off but the cow must of changed their mind that if they wanted that meal they had to get it on the other side of the fence. This is all flat prarie ground and I've also had two other neighbors that have lost calves this year to coyotes already. I saw three this morning but was in a vehicle that can not of firearms in it. Would have been different if I'd been in my pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    We do quite a bit of calling around here and enter contests from time to time. I have really good luck with a montana coyote decoy, a mojo critter, and an electronic caller. I like the rabbit distress as I've had the most luck with it. I do wear camo and spray down with scent killer. I use an AR and really enjoying shooting yotes that come running into the call and decoy
    Cool, wasn't sure so I was just giving some general advice..... sounds like you have a plan and a technique. Happy hunting!

It seems the Coyote problem is elswhere. I saw this article in our newspaper from the AP.

Copyrighted material, so I posted the link to the story.

Herald-Dispatch AP Coverage
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

The good news is I haven't seen but one mangy one this year (i guess its good and bad for me) but some of them seem to be getting rather bold. Eating dog food of house porches and living in or near towns like JoJoGuns article. They are fun to hunt though

Good luck. I may need to get some calls to use on them..... they sure love being around the house though. Not sure why, as there is no real food supply for them there.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    We have them in the Hollywood Hills. Killing may not be any solution. YMMV.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    We have them in the Hollywood Hills. Killing may not be any solution. YMMV.
    It is around here. Years ago, it was "free game" to shoot any dog, coyote, etc.... because people had been dumping dogs in the country for years and there were wild dog packs that were purely vicious. They had no fear of humans and would come for you in a flash. I ran into some, and once while on a horse, which was real fun. Everyone was told to keep your dog at home and not roaming the countryside, or it could be shot. The only way to get the amount of wild dogs in control, was shoot any dog seen without an owner attached at the other end. It took 3-4 yrs for it to get rid of enough of them to keep the danger to humans down.

Coyotes before that, were extremely afraid of humans and would stay away from them at all costs. But, it's believed that the wild dogs and coyotes mix-bred, and since about that time.... they are NOT afraid of any humans. We are talking about out in the country.... not in some suburban housing development. On top of that, when they are not afraid of humans they get up near houses and kill sheep, chickens, calves, and other animals that pertain to people's livelihood.

So, we thin the herd so to speak, and try our best to put the fear of people back into them. Breeding and the quantity of coyotes around here ..... they are not in any danger of becoming extinct by any means. What they also do not mention in those "do good" articles, is the disease and rabies control involved with keeping numbers of skunks and coyotes down.

Want a few in your neighborhood, I"m sure we can trap some and you can come and take them home with ya.

1.Do not feed coyotes.
    2.Keep your pet on a leash.
    3.Supervise small pets and children, and keep your cats indoors.
    4.If you have dogs that spend time in your fenced yard, you may want to invest in a Coyote Roller, a device that attaches to the top of a fence to stop coyote paws from getting a grip. Also, adding 6 inches of wire mesh to the bottom of your fence should deter coyotes from digging underneath.
    5.Keep garbage, compost and pet food out of reach. Make sure your garbage can lids are on tight, and feed your cats and dogs indoors.
    6.If faced with a coyote, act big and loud—shake a can of pennies, blow a whistle, wave your arms above your head. Such actions will reinforce their fear of humans, which is good for us and them.
    7.Ask your neighbors to follow the above tips, too.

I loved this. I'll make my own and post it.

Keep in mind this is for entertainment purposes only and I'm not saying you should do these or that I do so keep that in mind before you get your panties in a wad and that I also live far out in the country so this isn't from a living in town point of view.

How to exist with Coyotes (Notice I took the "co" out of it)

1. Do not feed coyotes unless its with bacon grease soaked sponges, antifreeze, or any other poison that will kill it.

2. Keep your pet on a leash (only if in sight of a mangy coyote you don't want your dog to get mange otherwise let your dog attack and dispose of the coyote, my dogs would freak out if on a leash as they have never been on one and would think they are in trouble)

3. Supervise small pets and children, and keep your cats indoors. (Teach the kid to shoot problem solved. If you live in the country and have a small yappy dog it should be used for baiting purposes only, a babies cry resembles a rabbit in distress works well to call in coyotes, who in their right mind has cats indoors? All the mice are in the barn where the cat should be anyway)

4. I'm not going to type all the crap they put up about coyote proofing your dog fence. You don't need to coyote proof your fence just a get a bigger dog problem solved.

5. Keep garbage, compost and pet food out of reach (until your home to use as bait to get coyotes close while you sit on the porch drinking a beer)

6. If faced with a coyote, act big and loud - shake a can of pennies, blow a whistle, wave your arms, etc. (First who carries around a can of pennies? Second just shoot it, third if i'm whistling its to call my dog to chase the yote around prior to me shooting it or to get the coyote to stop running so I can get a good shot on it)

7. Ask your neighbors to follow the above tips (what neighbors my closest neighbor is 11 miles away and he is my dad you want to be slapped upside the head read these tips to my dad. He will just ask why you didn't shoot the yote)

Anybody have any good additions to add?
    Rock and Glock likes this.

I wrote a couple of columns on the coyote problem in my past life as an outdoors writer. My favorite story came from Topanga, California where my sister lives. A local restaurant was having problems with coyotes. An "animal psychic" was brought in who "talked" to the coyotes. The coyotes told the psychic that if the restaurant -- a high-end, trendy place -- would leave them meals they'd cooperate and not harass the guests.

Thats funny an animal psychic

How come psychics never win the lottery?
    Last edited by CowboyColby; February 9th, 2012 at 10:16 AM.

* God made coyotes, as good target practice to get ready for deer season.

* Cats eat rats, that's why they need to be where the rats are. They can climb trees and laugh at coyotes.

Senior Moderator
    The guys around here that are serious about whacking coyotes are using night vision with suppressors on rifles.A group of yotes coming in usually wont figure out what is happening until several of them are down.
    Lots of cattle and horse farmers are getting depredation permits due to the huge and ever expanding population. When you get a depredation permit from the Game and Fish, all rules go away. Day or night, any coyote is fair game.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

In Colorado we can hunt them at night and several ranches call asking a couple of us to come to their ranches to call coyotes around this time of year. I have two ranches right now I have to go to this weekend. I wish I could afford the night vision stuff and I'm pretty sure it could be tax deductable for me but the ones I've seen that are any good range from $3000 to $8000 I've tried a couple of the cheaper routes that were in the $500-$800 range and they were junk. If it said you could see up to 200 yards it was more like 60 yards and batteries were junk or you had wires running off your gun that would just get in the way. If anyone knows of a good night vision option I'm open for opinions.

When we hunt them it night it is usually on a full moon and helps if snow is on the ground so you can see.

A few ranches around here have hired professional trapper or had game and fish come out with the guys shooting them out of airplanes. That would be a fun job.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links