Coyotes!

Coyotes!

This is a discussion on Coyotes! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well my calving season has officially began. I have 8 calves all less than a week old on the ground. Went out this morning to ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Coyotes!

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar

Coyotes!

Well my calving season has officially began. I have 8 calves all less than a week old on the ground. Went out this morning to check my cows and I have one cow that can't find her calf and is walking around calling for it. Upon looking around I find a big blood spot soaked in the grass and patches of hair. Cattle prices are at an all time high so losing a calf really hurts my cashflow and the money spent for feed this year is also at an all time high so its hard to lose a calf.

Going to have to do a little calling in that pasture and see if I can't rid my killer or one of his family. An eye for an eye.

Sounds like 30-30 time...
    jwinston and DontTreadOnI like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    We have coyotes, but not really bothered much by them. Could your killer be a Puma?

My big problem, especially this time of year, are buzzards, they are attracted to the after-birth. I've seen the mama cow exhausted from running those buzzards, on the ground, away from her calf. Death by buzzard pecking has got to be a terrible way for anything to die. It's illegal to kill a buzzard here, but I have rained birdshot down on them from a distance or shoot near them with a .22 magnum, that crack generally gets them moving somewhere else.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Sounds like a Coyote to me, even though I live in West Virginia, we have had an influx of them for a few years now.

They are cold-blooded killers to the max. Several people I have talked to that had encounters with them did not come out good. They killed this one guys chickens, his dogs, cats and just about every living animal on his property. He did however dispatch a few to Coyote heaven with a .30-06 when he could see them. They are very wary of humans and can be in and out in record time.

I'd say it's time to load up whatever varmit rifle you have and go get a bit of Coyote revenge and lessen their population a bit.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Gotta keep the predators in check
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I carry a AR with me every where I go. I shot two last weekend. There is a big CRP field next my pasture and I think they have some dens in there. I'll shoot a couple and post pictures of the killers.

See you cowboys shot yourself in the foot on this one by killing off all the wolfs. Simple known fact is when wolfs are present the coyote population are down

In my short time on this earth I have never heard of any wolves in our area. Simple fact wolves kill calves too.
    Dadsnugun and Sheldon J like this.

a Coyote hunt sounds like a good time. are you keeping the hides or discarding all of the leftovers? I ask because I do not want to get a smaller calaber rifle just for varmet hunting amd the 300 winmag would make a mess of the coat (i assume).
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I use a .223 as to not mess up the hides to much

What you need are some good dogs, like an Irish Wolfhound.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Administrator
    Sorry to hear about that. When things (in general) are tight then that has to hurt. Hoping that you have Good Luck in getting rid of some of your coyote problem. Shoot straight!

"I use a .223 as to not mess up the hides too much"

You should be able to recoup some of your $$ loss by keeping those hides nice.

Hey, I just got a great AR for that job and got it dirt cheap! Never been hunting (besides prairie in my life, but always wanted to. Someone want to take a middle aged guy out coyote hunting?
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I don't know which is worse; wolves, or the fed that comes with them

I'd much rather deal with coyotes.

The one and only coyote I've ever taken was with a 45 grn hollow point, from a .22-250. His hide wasn't much good after that
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Hey, I just got a great AR for that job and got it dirt cheap! Never been hunting (besides prairie in my life, but always wanted to. Someone want to take a middle aged guy out coyote hunting?
    One of our forum members might just go for that.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links