Stale Donuts

This is a discussion on Stale Donuts within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by fastk9dad You probably don't want me to tell you what happens with all the trimmed & old meat from the meat dept... ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Stale Donuts

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    You probably don't want me to tell you what happens with all the trimmed & old meat from the meat dept...
    Sausage??
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I never met a donut I didn't like, but I'm not a huge fan of KK. However, "Southern Maid" or "Shipley's Donuts" are at the top of the pack around here as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure the pig food isn't made purely out of old donuts, just a certain percentage would be part of the ration. It certainly would be a caloric enhancer; they'd get the protein from other sources. The feed mill procurement people are always looking for and substituting available low-cost ingredients to meet their nutritional targets for some particular ration. If the stale donut deal fell through, they'd switch to something else similar. I think feeding pigs stale fruitcake could be considered cruelty to animals.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The only thing I find questionable in this explanation is that KK would go to all that trouble for what becomes hog feed. Never knew a hog would turn its 'nose' up at anything a human might have eaten, no matter if it's cooked, raw, or anything in between.
    Since I do this for my company 3 days a week, here's the short answer.

1. First option is to PAY to throw it away.
    2. Second option is to SELL it to a place that will use it.

Simple huh? Now, when this first started they would not pay you for the scrap. But they would deal with it for free. So even though it was not a net gain, there was no loss either. Later, with competition coming, they started paying. Now I'm sure it's not a huge amount, but the company is not having to pay to get rid of the waste. And they pay me about $75 for 4-5 hours of driving and pay for the truck.

The scrap comes in on specially modified cargo trailers. I haul roughly 40,000 lbs of scrap bread waste each trip. We do this 7 days a week, occasionally twice a day. They collect from nearly any dry food producers, chips, crackers, cereal, bread, and others. They also do grease traps. The product is dumped, some in package and some gets separated depending on the packages. It's run through the cooking process. Then open top cargo trailers haul it off to the farmers at about 40-50,000 lbs at a time. They also do rail cars.

Even though hogs will not refuse anything, I would bet the feds have started regulating it to the point that it has to be precessed. I've known small hog farms that just dumped food in the troughs and let them go for it.

This is the company we haul our product too.

Griffin Industries, A tradition in Agri-Business since 1943
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

donuts=pig food in more ways than 1
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    donuts=pig food in more ways than 1
    I was wondering who was going to say it first. Come on folks, it was just so obvious! Lets don't be so politically correct that we can't laugh at ourselves.

Michael
    rammerjammer likes this.

Administrator
    I would of rather somebody made a play on the word stale, like a stale joke.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I know where that factory is in Ohio...
    This one?

Krispy Kreme Accepts $40K Fine At Ohio Plant | NBC 4i

Interestingly enough, if a bear or family of bears become a public nuisance and become dangerous to humans (as defined by Colorado DOW), they are trapped for relocation. One of the most effective baits is STALE DONUTS. Some other baits are effective too, but apparently bears just cannot pass up a stale donut.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I know where that factory is in Ohio...
    Must be the place where all the Cop Cars are lined up outside with crying LEO's comforting each other every time a truck rolls past
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

No surpise that Krispy Kreme's put porky fat on a pig as efficiently as they do on people

A tear rolls down my eye as I ponder the fate of these poor donuts! Our FOP lodge had T-shirts printed up for a fund raiser one year. The front showed a donut shop in the moonlight with one police car parked in front of it. The back of the shirt showed the rear of the shop with a cat peeking into a dumpster, and five police cars parked hidden from public view.

PIGS: Powdered, Iced, Glazed, and Sugared!

VIP Member
    Here in MN we can't tell a stale one from a frozen one, as long as the coffee is strong and hot.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I'm rolling laughing at some of the comments

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    I'm very selective about picking my "poison".

I call donuts "lard pills" and avoid them, but I call anything made from pork "gourmet" food. Bacon: crisp, yummy.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

I woked at a food plant for a very long time and all of our non packageable food was sold as cattle food. Our feed plant by product went to make dog food as well...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links